Fuel Reserve?

shawnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone tell me how the fuel reserve works on an 05? It has been flashing on the last bar for last few rides to work, then I noticed a km reading that started increasing like a tripometer would. I think I was only around 280-300kms when I noticed it started reading from zero again. Is it a count up vs a count down to remaining kms of fuel left??
Thanks. New to me.

... Is it a count up vs a count down to remaining kms of fuel left?? ...

Yep. It shows distance gone since the low fuel alert started.

"... When the fuel amount in the fuel tank decreases to 3.6 L (0.95 US gal) (0.79
Imp.gal), the left segment of the fuel meter display will automatically change to
the fuel reserve tripmeter mode “F-TRIP” and start counting the distance
traveled from that point. In that case, push the “SELECT” button to switch the
display between the various tripmeter and odometer modes in the following
order: F-TRIP > TRIP A > TRIP B > ODO > F-TRIP ..."

Yep. It shows distance gone since the low fuel alert started.

"... When the fuel amount in the fuel tank decreases to 3.6 L (0.95 US gal) (0.79
Imp.gal), the left segment of the fuel meter display will automatically change to
the fuel reserve tripmeter mode “F-TRIP” and start counting the distance
traveled from that point. In that case, push the “SELECT” button to switch the
display between the various tripmeter and odometer modes in the following
order: F-TRIP > TRIP A > TRIP B > ODO > F-TRIP ..."

Is that the same on the 09? I haven't gone that low yet.

Yep the '09 does the same thing, when its on "F-TRIP" its counting the number of K's you have done on reserve. Most i have let mine get to was 30 km. But I have read you can get to 50 safely, tho I didnt want to try and who wants to be stuck by the road side with no gerrycan?

Gee, I think mine was over 50kms when I come to work tonite. I hope I have enough to go 15 more:banghead:

My usual use gives me about 270-300KM before going to reserve, refill takes approx 15L.
Since we know the tank holds 19.4 litres, you still have about 80KM on reserve.

No, i've never tried my luck :D

Yup. the "F" trip indicates that you are about to be "F'd" if you don't stop for fuel soon. :thumbup:

And the F-trip isn't percise. It's signalled to start by the wiper on the float arm coming into contact with the last segment of the resistor network. But the logic seems to vary from whatever logic is used to raise and drop the gauge segments on the display. If I can, when F-trip comes on, I'll turn the bike off and on. About half the time it'll go back to one bar for another 20-30 miles (although the F-trip keeps running). Heavy bumps or agressive riding on a low tank seems to trigger the indication early.

You can see this if you ever get a chance to play with the fuel gauge sender. You have to jiggle the float around a little bit to get the display to change readings to where the float is at. But if you touch the big bottom landing 2-3 times in a few seconds, or you hold it on the bottom for a second or two, it jumps right to f-trip. I guess they wanted it on sooner rather than later.

I usually get about 180-195 miles before the reserve kicks in and I've run 25 miles on reserve. Then put 4.2 gallons to fill up.

And the F-trip isn't percise. It's signalled to start by the wiper on the float arm coming into contact with the last segment of the resistor network. But the logic seems to vary from whatever logic is used to raise and drop the gauge segments on the display. If I can, when F-trip comes on, I'll turn the bike off and on. About half the time it'll go back to one bar for another 20-30 miles (although the F-trip keeps running). Heavy bumps or agressive riding on a low tank seems to trigger the indication early.

You can see this if you ever get a chance to play with the fuel gauge sender. You have to jiggle the float around a little bit to get the display to change readings to where the float is at. But if you touch the big bottom landing 2-3 times in a few seconds, or you hold it on the bottom for a second or two, it jumps right to f-trip. I guess they wanted it on sooner rather than later.

I usually get about 180-195 miles before the reserve kicks in and I've run 25 miles on reserve. Then put 4.2 gallons to fill up.

This is why I think all motorcycles should have a transparent poly tank (or at least a viewing window). No more wondering if I'm going to run out of fuel!

Back