Fuel injection priming

Sigg79

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi!

N00b question here:

My bike is stored for the winter, and will be in storage for the next three months. After accessing my battery to install a "comfort connector" for easy charging, I switched on the ignition just to check that the electronics were still getting power.

When I switched on the ignition, the fuel injection primed the system. I will not be starting the bike for the next 3 months. Will it have a detrimental effect that the system was primed without the bike getting started up for the next few months?

:confused:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi!

N00b question here:

My bike is stored for the winter, and will be in storage for the next three months. After accessing my battery to install a "comfort connector" for easy charging, I switched on the ignition just to check that the electronics were still getting power.

When I switched on the ignition, the fuel injection primed the system. I will not be starting the bike for the next 3 months. Will it have a detrimental effect that the system was primed without the bike getting started up for the next few months?

For storing the bike for an extended period of time, its best to add some sort of fuel stablizer as fuel goes bad in as quickly as a month...

Without it, the fuel will go bad (especially with ethonol as it attracts moisture), cause varnish and other potential problems down the road.

IMHO, I'd get some "Seafoam" or Yamaha brand fuel stabilizer (used more for marine applications) and get it in the tank. If using Seafoam, I'd put it in on the heavy side, it won't hurt anything...

You need to run the bike for a little while to get the stabilizer into the system.

Also, fill the tank to the very top to prevent the inside of the tank from rusting...

IMHO, running it for a couple of minutes each month is the last thing you should do. Moisture condenses in the crankcase and unless the bike is run to FULL OERATING temps, it won't burn off the moisture collecting inside the engine.. Most of your engine wear occurs upon start up....

Last edited:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi!

N00b question here:

No, it won't. Out some stabil in your tank also. Or have a family member start it and let it run every so often.your good

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I left mine for 3 months when I left for basic, came back, rode it for a week. Then left for another three months for AIT. Never had a problem.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO, running it for a couple of minutes each month is the last thing you should do. Moisture condenses in the crankcase and unless the bike is run to FULL OERATING temps, it won't burn off the moisture collecting inside the engine.. Most of your engine wear occurs upon start up....

++1

All was well said!

And I agree 100% >> There is no value in starting it unless its going to reach and sustain full operating temp for at least 30min. Unless you hold it at 4k for all the 25min its not going to help the battery either. The energy needed to start it will not be replaced.

Don't worry about it getting primed. DO Add Stabil and Fill to Top!

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I swear by the marine version of Stabil, works even better than the red stuff IME. A little pricey ($30 a quartish) but I don't think fuel stabilizer goes bad.

I'd dump about an ounce in, and like ^ said, fill it right to the rim. Might even help to run it for a bit now, to get the treated fuel down to the injectors. FWIW I left mine almost all winter last year, outside, uncovered, no battery tender. I bump started it down the driveway and rode away in the spring. Probably going to put it in the shed this year though, since it looks like my riding season is already over, and has been for a while. :(

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Fuel stabilizers do go bad most will have a expiration date. I just buy the smallest bottle of stabil for $4 and do my FZ and lawn mower.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel stabilizers do go bad most will have a expiration date. I just buy the smallest bottle of stabil for $4 and do my FZ and lawn mower.

I'll have to check my bottle when I get home. Either way, I use the quart in a year easily, and it better last that long. And you have to work to find the marine Stabil quart bottles, most places only have the 8oz or pint bottles. Napa and equipment or boat dealers are the only places I've found the quarts.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sigg79 is not in the US and I suppose may be limited to whats available. Yamaha makes a fuel stabilizer (among other fuel additives, cleaners, etc).

I'm sure you can order and have shipped if need be...