Fuel Grade (regular, mid-range or premium)

Fuel Grade

• Regular

Votes: 397 44.1%
  • Mid-range

Votes: 68 7.5%
  • Premium

Votes: 436 48.4%

• Total voters

jmun

Reaction score
Visit site
My opinion, which may or may not be worth squat, I run the mid range gasoline followed by my 4oz, once every december, of Sea Foam- that stuff works miracles, as mentioned on its web site!!!

jjjjime

Reaction score
Visit site
Im pretty picky with my gas, actually. ALWAYS premium, and almost all the time Chevron. Probably not much of a difference by doing any of that, but as has been said many times before...it's worth it for my peace of mind. :thumbup:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
We did that swapping between grades thing on my mom's mustang for years. But I didn't drive it all that often either, and it was my dad's idea. Not that, that makes it right. And you say something about the ECU learning? Hmm... I didn't know they did that. I need to fill up today, maybe a reset of the ECU is in order before I put regular back in it.

All I have is the haynes manual, which says 95RON and I would have assumed they got their numbers right. But you know what they say about assuming...

fordfanmatt

Reaction score
Visit site
The testosterone level in some of these threads are off the charts. Its just fuel fellas.

Although i do love reading the arguments.

I run premium. its an extra dollar a tank. if it keeps the thing from grenading an extra 1000 miles ill be happy.

soundgarden

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to go 1 tank of premium-1 tank of regular. But now that ive gotten the fizzer mapped on a dyno I use 3 tanks of premium for about 1 regular when its really pricey ;)

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
from now on i'm only wearing silk gloves when i change my oil, and only putting my own brew of 105 octane gas with 'smart pills' in it.

also, i'm only using my own bicycle pump air for the tires, cause gas stations are putting high H2O air in their compressors to lower your fuel milage... and get you to buy more high-zoot gas for $.30 more a gallon.

oh, and my tinfoil hat is secured to my helmet, so don't try to change my mind with your vulcan tricks either.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Just to add a little more to this topic...

Most ECUs can compensate for different things, this is true, but at least on my bike (2006 FZ6) there are really no feedback sensors so the ECU can't do much other then it's programming based on RPM, air pressure, throttle position, and engine/air temp. This means that because there is no oxygen sensor it can not compensate if the engine is running too lean (from a vacuum leak or too much ethanol), and because there is no knock sensor it can't compensate for low octane. On a car for example, the knock sensor would tell the PCM the engine is detonating and the PCM would lower timing. The ECU on my bike can not do this, so there is no way to pull timing when using lower octane fuel.

Now, the newer bikes may have feedback sensors (I believe the O2 sensor was added with the 2007 or 2009 model), but at least on my bike the ECU can't really compensate for much.

92fz08

Reaction score
Visit site
I run reg. aside from two tanks of premium with half a bottle of redline F.I cleaner each tank every two or so months.

JPH

Reaction score
Visit site
DITTO to you jmun

"My opinion, which may or may not be worth squat, I run the mid range gasoline followed by my 4oz, once every december, of Sea Foam- that stuff works miracles, as mentioned on its web site!!!"

I run mid range Shell. Although I do cheat when the prices get real high and run 87. I find there is a decrease in 'buzzy-ness' with the midrange. I would attribute that to the additives, not the octane.

For my F-150 I run 2 tanks 87 to 1 mid range. I started doing that about 12 years ago. I have used that tactic on 5 vehicles. One vehicle I took to 330k miles and the others all to 100k or better while doing all my own maintenance. I have found that running detergent enriched gasoline keeps a cleaner engine. My plugs are less fouled and the vehicle idles better, accelerates better. I have had zero FI issues with any vehicle.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Most people buy/use regular, so regular underground tanks get replenished way more frequently... How long does premium sit in the underground tanks before it gets refilled? I don't know... will there be more water/crap in the premium because of the less frequent refill cycles? I don't know... Just sayin'

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Premium for me, but 95 will also do in a pinch, i find my bike runs a wee bit nicer on the good stuff!

:thumbup:

keef

Reaction score
Visit site
I use premium, but have accidently used mid-grade out of habit. Jeep Commander requires mid-grade...
Premium makes me feel better with the bike and would rather fill up the bike compared to the Commander!

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
reg for the most part with some lucas oil treatment occassionally and a tank of premium with it... and premium when im at the track...

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Remispowersystems.com Buy a Fitch fuel catalyst, and never have to use stabil again. And get better gas mileage! My bike went from 45 mpg's to 51 just by dropping it into the tank. One time drop in lasts the life of your bike!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use martha's magic snake oil in mine and wow what a difference! ;)

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Remispowersystems.com Buy a Fitch fuel catalyst, and never have to use stabil again. And get better gas mileage! My bike went from 45 mpg's to 51 just by dropping it into the tank. One time drop in lasts the life of your bike!

kharrison83

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello fellow riders,

I do a lot of reading on this forum and this just happen to catch my eye.

I've always used high-grade fuel as I've heard (text and TV) that any engine with compression over 9.x (something, can't remember the exact number) requires high octane fuel to avoid pinging. This is because the high-octane fuel is less volatile and will not pre-ignite before spark/ignition due to high compression... This may be true or not.

BUT....

What I have noticed is that almost everyone who uses 'regular' octane fuel says it's because the manual or Yamaha says to. This brings me to the 'NOTE' in the owner's manual. I've pasted it below:

First is says:
Recommended fuel:
REGULAR UNLEADED GASOLINE
ONLY
Fuel tank capacity:
19.4 L (5.13 US gal) (4.27 Imp.gal)
Fuel reserve amount:
3.6 L (0.95 US gal) (0.79 Imp.gal)​

Which makes me think regular-octane fuel... right?

Then right below this it says:

Your Yamaha engine has been designed
to use regular unleaded gasoline
with a research octane number of
91 or higher
If knocking (or pinging) occurs,
use a gasoline of a different brand
or premium unleaded fuel. Use of unleaded
fuel will extend spark plug life
and reduce maintenance costs.

Being that it says a RON of 91 or higher, this means high-octane fuel.

I believe this section was added specifically due to different octane numbers in different states. Here in Florida, we have as follows:

Regular: 87
Middle: 89
High: 91/93 (depending on where you go)

So what I get from this is.. It doesn't matter what 'level' of fuel you use, as long as it's a minimum of 91. So to all of the people who use 'regular' fuel that is 87 octane (because Yamaha says so and they know what's good for the bike), you may not be using what is recommended after all.

Let me know your thoughts on this as I'm curious to see what people this about my reasoning on this.

Thanks!

-Kyle

Last edited: