Fuel Grade (regular, mid-range or premium)

Fuel Grade

• Regular

Votes: 397 44.1%
  • Mid-range

Votes: 68 7.5%
  • Premium

Votes: 436 48.4%

• Total voters

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I've run all 3 grades, (87, 89, and 91 octane) and haven't noticed a difference in performance/ fuel mileage. The only difference was the added cost of the higher grade fuel.

The ECU was tuned to run on 87 octane, so that's what I run. I try to avoid Ethanol laced fuel which is getting difficult because E-10 is basically everywhere. I do notice a bit more pep, and fuel economy when I can find 100% pure, unadulterated gasoline without any of that ethanol crap.

Total agreement!

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only thing I have run premium on was my Buells. Was required on them though, damn things would still ping like a bitch after sitting in traffic on hot days. Regular for the fz6, not too concerned about the ethanol. Only one or two places here in my city sell gas without ethanol, and its usually 30 cents higher per gallon atm. Got 170 and 180 miles so far on the bike when the low fuel lamp came on. I usually fill the bike up while its upright, and to the brim.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
98 from now on for me as Finland changed to 10% ethanol for 95 and even though Yamaha says it's ok, it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Less ethanol should mean better MPG so the price difference should even out.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Avgas and can pull away cleanly in 6th. No flat spots for me.
Regular, its all we can get. We judge the quality of it by the amount of water you get in your fuel filter lol.

Nelly:thumbup:

kdburtch

Reaction score
Visit site
The higher the octane the higher the resistance to burn. So if the bike is designed and has spark plugs for regular (87 octane in the US) and you are using 91 then that fuel does not have the ease of burning, so you could have incomplete burn which adds to polution and would DECREASE power. You are getting the same fuel amounts either way but the 87 should burn more completley and give you better milage and power.
On a side note from earlier in the post Shell adds its cleansing agents and nitrogen to all grades of fuel.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I ran three tanks at premium (93) and got an average of 45.7 MPG.

I ran three tanks at regular (85) and got an average of 41.2 MPG and my bike started knocking a bit by the end of the third tank. Fixed after less than half a tank of premium. My manual says 91 minimum so that's what I'll run from now on.

I had done this before with my mustang in high school with similar results.

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
I use premium 93 octane, because that's what I'm used to using in my bike. It's maybe $1 more per fill-up so I just shrug it off.

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my '05, the previous owner told me I should run Premium in it, so that is what I have done. He told me that if I ran regular in it, that it would knock. I have not yet tried to run regular, but I am going to this summer.

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
Blackberry Users, may I suggest: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/38421

Yes, I do know it's very easy to determine MPG. However, this helps one keep track for a long period of time, add multiple bikes or cagers, fuel cost, graphs, etc. I believe the new version keeps track of oil changes and other mx cost that I'm currently downloading to see now.

Oh, I just run 100LL in my bike and Amstel Light Oil.....j/k. I just run reg.

TheRuckus

Reaction score
Visit site
You're still wasting your money. If you look in the owners manual it calls for regular fuel.

Yamaha FZ6 Owners Manual 3-12
"Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a research octane of number of 91 or higher"

Do not forget that our premium is considered regular everywhere else.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I ran three tanks at premium (93) and got an average of 45.7 MPG.

I ran three tanks at regular (85) and got an average of 41.2 MPG and my bike started knocking a bit by the end of the third tank. Fixed after less than half a tank of premium. My manual says 91 minimum so that's what I'll run from now on.

I had done this before with my mustang in high school with similar results.

The Manual says between 86 and 91 not 91 minimum.

Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number [(R+M)/2] of 86 or higher, or a research octane number of 91 or higher. If knocking (or pinging) occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel. Use of unleaded fuel will extend spark plug life and reduce maintenance costs.

Personally I did a test loop of all 3 grades and found that Shell 89 gives me the best overall milage. Though regular is about even I experienced pinging and I don't have that with the 89 octane. Premium works fine but I experience a slight mpg loss and it is a higher cost. So Shell plus for me.

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Yamaha FZ6 Owners Manual 3-12

Do not forget that our premium is considered regular everywhere else.

In the USA gasoline is rated using AKI sometimes written as (R+M)/2) on the pump and other countries use RON.

91 in the states is equal to 95 in most other places.

KDN

Reaction score
Visit site
In the USA gasoline is rated using AKI sometimes written as (R+M)/2) on the pump and other countries use RON.

91 in the states is equal to 95 in most other places.

Esso in Canada has 87, 89 and 91 octane available...sounds low!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Canada also uses AKI (Anti Knock Index). In our manuals it says that the FZ6 was designed to work with 85 (R+M)/2) or 91 RON. So I think as long as your engine isn't knocking we're all good no matter what we use. Of course as already been pointed out higher rated fuel may have useful additives.

I could be all wrong so do some research. I got my info from Wikipedia.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
Canada also uses AKI (Anti Knock Index). In our manuals it says that the FZ6 was designed to work with 85 (R+M)/2) or 91 RON. So I think as long as your engine isn't knocking we're all good no matter what we use. Of course as already been pointed out higher rated fuel may have useful additives.

I could be all wrong so do some research. I got my info from Wikipedia.

Owners manual section 3 page 12, states [(R+M)/2] 86 or higher, or RON of 91 or higher. Here in N. Montana I have a choice of 85, 87, and 91 all by [(R+M)/2] so I just go with 87 at the same pump same gas station, most of the time, it's the closest one to home.:thumbup: