Fuel gauge Showing wrong level 2007 FZ6

fz6mo

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 ( With round instrument panel) show wrong fuel level.
With full tank 5 of 6 bars is visible.
After 2,5-3 liters down 4 bars is visible and the last bar starts blinking after 6-7 liters used of gas. After running about 100km on F-trip reserve all bars starts blinking as a lead is bad. This repeats after refueling and getting to same usage again so at least the fault is consistent. The schematics show on side of giver to be grounded and the other wire goes to meter.
Has anyone seen a fault like this before?
I suspect the meter gone bad.
I have swapped pumps and both pumps meassure same reading on my ohmmeter , 20-140ohm.
So either I have 2 good pumps now or 2 bad ones ;-)
Where do I go from here?

Should I reconnect battery for resetting ECU?
If meter is bad I guess I just fit a 140ohm resistor over the pump to fool the meter.
Tom FZ6S 2007 Black Norway..

If roads is getting worse in Norway I have to fit dirts tyres. :spank:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, when my float kept falling off.

That little tab someone on here said was okay to remove is what keeps the float attached in heavy hits/very low gas levels. I melted a screw back where that tab was, lol.

After a little bit with a full tank it would jump back up to reading properly because the vibes and all would allow the float to re-seat itself. But it would jiggle out of place when the gas was low. The screw helped hold it.

Last edited:

fz6mo

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, when my float kept falling off.

That little tab someone on here said was okay to remove is what keeps the float attached in heavy hits/very low gas levels. I melted a screw back where that tab was, lol.

After a little bit with a full tank it would jump back up to reading properly because the vibes and all would allow the float to re-seat itself. But it would jiggle out of place when the gas was low. The screw helped hold it.
Thanks man , but both my pumps are unmodded and in working order so my problem is somewhere outside the fueltank. But your input is :welcome:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
It seems like your instrument cluster is reading the change between full and low. It's simply not reading the change quite strongly enough. It always reads a little less than it should.

Look at the contacts on the wire harness, for corrosion. You probably have a dirty connection which is adding resistance, which is lowering the signal coming from the float.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also it may be because the bike was made for a different country but the round instrument cluster was for 06 and older bikes in the U.S. That round cluster may have carried over in other countries. Does the service manual have specs. for testing the ohms at the sending unit? :confused:

fz6mo

Reaction score
Visit site
Also it may be because the bike was made for a different country but the round instrument cluster was for 06 and older bikes in the U.S. That round cluster may have carried over in other countries. Does the service manual have specs. for testing the ohms at the sending unit? :confused:

I could not see the ohm specified anywhere , but I have one pump from england that came from a 09 with same partnumber that read the same ohm. The round display was original with this bike. Both read 20ohm full and 140ohm empty.
It seems like the meter is abt 20ohm each bar. Well of with the panels and tank again. I think I have to try a 0ohm jumper to see if I can get full reading. A 20ohm should read full as well. It's troubleshooting time.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I could not see the ohm specified anywhere , but I have one pump from england that came from a 09 with same partnumber that read the same ohm. The round display was original with this bike. Both read 20ohm full and 140ohm empty.
It seems like the meter is abt 20ohm each bar. Well of with the panels and tank again. I think I have to try a 0ohm jumper to see if I can get full reading. A 20ohm should read full as well. It's troubleshooting time.

If you can trace the wires all the way to the input to the instrument cluster, I would repeat your measurements with the wiring in place.... so you can measure the loss (increased resistance) from the wires and connectors in the entire, actual path. The floats appear to be giving you 'good' values..... it's the loss in the signal path you are trying to identify.

I'm making a guess; you seem to have around 20 extra Ohms of resistance in the path.

fz6mo

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can trace the wires all the way to the input to the instrument cluster, I would repeat your measurements with the wiring in place.... so you can measure the loss (increased resistance) from the wires and connectors in the entire, actual path. The floats appear to be giving you 'good' values..... it's the loss in the signal path you are trying to identify.

I'm making a guess; you seem to have around 20 extra Ohms of resistance in the path.

That was may thought also. The cluster behind the meter is a pain in the a$$ to reach , but the readings on the cluster behind left panel is checking out OK. I have 98 ohm after 200km riding the bike. The reserve started to blink at 95km. So I calculated that it is more than 20ohm loss somewhere. I tested with some resistors and 35 ohm gave me 3 bars and 26 ohm gave me 5. I start to suspect the meter to be faulty. I'm gonna try 82 ohm over the giver to give me 15-50 ohm span. Cheaper than a new meter.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Try making a substitute harness for the leads involved. Go straight from one of your floats to the instrument cluster, so you can bypass the bike's harness. That would tell you if the gauge is able to read the float accurately. If the cluster STILL reads 'low'... that would indicate a problem with the cluster.

If it reads 'right', that would indicate the problem is in the harness.

Shtab

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi! I've same problem. Did you solve it? I thought the problem was in sensor, but I was wrong. I've checked the harness - all ok....

fz6mo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi! I've same problem. Did you solve it? I thought the problem was in sensor, but I was wrong. I've checked the harness - all ok....

I've sent you an answer with details.
For the rest of you it seems like it is a fault in the instrument.
A new will cost me more than I want to spend so I corrected the span of the giver with a resistor in paralell to have the reserve warning come on att fearly the right level. Mine kicks in at 4,9 ltr after correction and I will calculate a new value to add that will correct the last liter so it will kick in at 3,6-3,9 ltr.:thumbup:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, what are the odds? My '06 suddenly started doing the same dang thing yesterday, and then this thread pops up at the top of the list. :eek: I did just run through a really bad batch of gas too, I wonder if that could've caused me trouble. Oh well, at least I know what to look at now. lol

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool thread - way to jump in and solve your own troubles guys!

I will add that meters and their test leads can vary within a few ohms at these low values so be sure to Zero the meter and get Zero ohms before making measurements.

12V

Hi there.

I have the same problem: -1 bar with full tank, and the meter goes into reserve after only 5-6 liters used.

I didn't read this thread before going to the dealer yesterday, i was lucky to have 5 year warranty here in denmark and the bike was sold in 2008 (old 2006 model). But they fixed the wrong thing, they gave the bike a brand new pump with the build in meter. But no change at all, just like yours.

Going to call them tomorrow ;)