Fuel economy dropped after 40,000 km service

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I just wanted your opinions on whether this sounds normal.

Prior to my 40,000 km service I was getting on average 16 kmpl. My first fill-up after the service showed 13.82 kmpl and since then I've averaged about 14.5 kmpl.

Is this something I should be worried about or would it be normal after a tune-up?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The mileage shouldn't go down, if anything, go up slightly...

Do you know exactly what they did, ie throttle sync, plugs, air filter, etc??? A dirty air filter will lower mileage, a not so good throttle sync would also affect performance.

How well does the bike run, better / worse? Any noticable changes besides mileage?

Something else you may want to check is any excessive brake drag. You should be able to get at least a half spin on the front wheel / rear wheel when raised and spun by hand. If their dragging bad, the rotors will get hot to the touch even when not applying the brakes...

Last edited:

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Like Townsends said above, get a list of things done, of course the "things done" list doesn't alway match the "things actually done"

The most notable and easy to fix culprits are:

1) Air Filter
2) Spark Plugs
3) Gas quality
4) Oil type/weight
5) Tire pressure

If my calculations are right.. 32-35mpg seems really low for the FZ6 :confused: Should be 40-45 even if you wring the crap outta it. Do you do exclusively city riding with lots of stop/go and idle time? I know personally I get about 48-50mpg consistantly, but I do almost exclusively highway riding. The worst I've gotten is about 41mpg but that was going a hell of alot faster than normal for alot longer that usual.

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I do have a bit of brake drag (a bit more than normal) but nothing to write home about. I have a feeling they forgot to do the throttle sync after the valve adjustment or just didn't do it very well.

I've ordered a Morgan Carbtune so I can take my time to do it myself and make sure it's perfect.

It comes with 5mm and 6mm adapters. Does anyone know what's needed for a 2007 model? I read somewhere a 4mm adaptor is needed?

:EDIT: Just to add, I noticed my throttle idle screw does nothing now, which is why I think a bad sync. How do I set the pressure value correct again? And what should I do with the idle screw that currently does nothing? I'm thinking close the idle screw then open it 3 turns and close throttle adjustment screw #1 and open 3 turns, then sync the others to #1?

Last edited:

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the carbtune arrived within the delivery time-frame, which I was quite surprised about given the recent air traffic chaos.

So yesterday I had a day off work and spent the morning working on the bike. The TB's were not that far off so I guess the garage did a rough sync after the valve adjustment but port 3 was completely closed which was probably why the idle master was doing nothing.

So I opened up port 3 and turn the idle master right down as far as I could without the engine stalling. I then got everything balanced which also brought the idle back up. I also synced at 4000 rpm and again at idle and tried to get them all pretty close at both.

I also disconnected my battery whilst I lubed my clutch cable and did some other bits to give the ECU a reset.

So after putting everything back together and washing the bike I went out for a ride. I felt at first the vibes actually seemed worse than before especially at higher revs but after a while that disappeared and the vibes felt better than before, I guess that was the ECU reset. The power felt stronger and more linear and much much smoother. I also noticed the engine temp was about 10 degrees or so cooler. So all in all I'm very glad I did it.

I will post back in a couple of weeks as to how this has effected my fuel economy.