Fuel cap seal

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I was unable to find a thread that addressed this question.

Yesterday my bike was parked on the street during a massive downpour. Since I recently had the tank treated for rust around the fuel cap filler I decided to open up the cap and check for water.

Sure enough, there was a bit of water around the platform just under the cap. No big deal, the tank has a drainage hose for this and I checked this morning to make sure this hose had no kinks or blocks.

What does concern me is that there was a bit of water resting on the little plate at the bottom of the filler neck (you know the little plate with a large hole and several small holes) - which is below the rubber seal of the fuel cap.

Looking at the rubber seal, it looks a bit degraded. I want to buy a whole new cap with a new seal and all, but all I can find is keyless ones. Except for this one: Yamaha FZ6S FZ6N XJ6 FZ6R Gas Fuel Tank Cap with Key | eBay

I'm wary about the quality of it because it's so cheap. I want one with a key because I live in the city and don't want my bike being parked around the place with anyone being able to open my fuel tank.

Has anyone else replaced their fuel cap with a similar locking one? Can anyone give me any recommendations? Should I just buy the cheap one and see how it goes?

Thanks

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Yesterday my bike was parked on the street during a massive downpour. Since I recently had the tank treated for rust around the fuel cap filler I decided to open up the cap and check for water.

Thanks

Did you do the treatment yourself (if so, how?) or did you find somebody to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
The treatment was done professionally under statutory warranty. I bought the bike a month ago. Was quite pissed off to find rust in the top of a 3 year old bike!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Sure enough, there was a bit of water around the platform just under the cap. No big deal, the tank has a drainage hose for this and I checked this morning to make sure this hose had no kinks or blocks.

What does concern me is that there was a bit of water resting on the little plate at the bottom of the filler neck (you know the little plate with a large hole and several small holes) - which is below the rubber seal of the fuel cap.

Looking at the rubber seal, it looks a bit degraded. I want to buy a whole new cap with a new seal and all, but all I can find is keyless ones. Except for this one: Yamaha FZ6S FZ6N XJ6 FZ6R Gas Fuel Tank Cap with Key | eBay

I'm wary about the quality of it because it's so cheap. I want one with a key because I live in the city and don't want my bike being parked around the place with anyone being able to open my fuel tank.

Has anyone else replaced their fuel cap with a similar locking one? Can anyone give me any recommendations? Should I just buy the cheap one and see how it goes?

Thanks

What ever locking cap you get, it'll have a different key for the cap and won't fit the ignition. The link posted is for a chinese knock off..

IMHO, I'd look about for a used Yamaha cap on the forum and just swap out the seal. A whole lot easier and it'll fit.

BTW, generally the rust that developes is from condensation from leaving the tank partially full for quite awhile and the bike not run. Fuel sloshing about will help protect the inside of the tank..

Last edited:

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, generally the rust that developes is from condensation from leaving the tank partially full for quite awhile and the bike not run. Fuel sloshing about will help protect the inside of the tank..

I checked with the dealers's mechanic and his opinion on this rust was due to riding the bike while raining or after washing the bike and not cleaning/drying this seal.
His suggestion was to clean this ring and use waterproof grease on the seal.

Inside the tank it looks pretty good (no obvious rust from water ever is visible from the top) it is only the seal which shows rust stains. I do ride my bike regularly, I actually ride it much more than my car, and I do ride under the rain as well.
When I wash the bike I regularly us a blower to dry it the most I can before finishing it with a rag but I have never opened the gas cap after washing the bike or a rainy day's ride.

I'm thinking how to clean it and make sure there won't be any debris going into the tank. I have in mind using paper and seal it to the inside opening of the ring with tape. Then use something like a scotch-brite sponge to clean the top surface of the ring, hopefully this will take care of it without needing to use a metal wool. Then I'll use the waterproof grease in the seal.

Any comments/suggestions?

I thought I would have had time to take a picture today, I will tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked with the dealers's mechanic and his opinion on this rust was due to riding the bike while raining or after washing the bike and not cleaning/drying this seal.

I think I will also try cleaning the seal and using some grease and just keep on top of it. Thanks for posting.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually just rub some dielectric grease on there.

I do think there's some chance of getting rainwater in, not just condensation. I know when my bike gets rained on uncovered, it's got an unhappy idle the next time I ride. I try to cover it whenever it rains, but sometimes it seems all sunny, and then bam, rain, oops.

I definitely wouldn't bother with a cheap knockoff to try to fix this problem, it'll most likely leak worse.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll double-down on avoiding cheap knockoffs, especially without keys. There's really good reason for the key other than gas theft/tampering... safety. The cap must be locked with the key before being able to get moving again. Nobody likes gas all over their man parts...

Sigg79

Reaction score
Visit site
Any other type of grease or oil that can be used safely in this area to prevent rust? Can you use battery terminal grease?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Inside the tank it looks pretty good (no obvious rust from water ever is visible from the top) it is only the seal which shows rust stains. I do ride my bike regularly, I actually ride it much more than my car, and I do ride under the rain as well.
When I wash the bike I regularly us a blower to dry it the most I can before finishing it with a rag but I have never opened the gas cap after washing the bike or a rainy day's ride.

I'm thinking how to clean it and make sure there won't be any debris going into the tank. I have in mind using paper and seal it to the inside opening of the ring with tape. Then use something like a scotch-brite sponge to clean the top surface of the ring, hopefully this will take care of it without needing to use a metal wool. Then I'll use the waterproof grease in the seal.

Any comments/suggestions?

I thought I would have had time to take a picture today, I will tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's three screws (of the six on top visable) which need to be removed and the one small allen head bolt inside the cap. Once these 4 bolts are removed, the entire cap assembly can come off the tank for cleaning.

Certain lubricants are not good for rubber parts. For my Yamaha outboard boat engine, Yamaha sells silicone based spray for spraying on the engine/rubber parts under the cowl. ( https://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/apparel/apscitemdetail/3/124/10/1/348/detail.aspx ) Its made for the marine enviroment, salt water, so it should work fine on the bike that see's mostly fresh water...

IMHO, I'd clean the seal real well with silicone spray, a toothbrush and some paper towels to get the rust off the seal.

The tank itself has very light rust on the edge. For that, IMHO, I'd stuff a rag/paper towel in the hole and just gently go over it with a scrotch bright pad (the green parts on the back of a cleaning sponge).

If you want to put a little extra protection both parts, a little silicone grease (plumbers use it, check at a plumbers store, Home Depo, etc.) on both parts will go a long way..(I reiterate, just a light coat, wipe most of is back off as it should soak into the rubber seal)..