Fubar Clutch Bearing

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been having trouble with the clutch on this 06 FZ6 since I got it. Growing freeplay, a bearing whine (in hindsight) and eventually it just stopped disengaging. I assumed it was a warped clutch steel and ordered a new EBC SRK kit, but when I got in there, this is what I found:

New clutch is going in, its getting fresh oil and filter and a new bearing but can anyone tell me what caused this and what I can do to prevent it in the future. Would it have anything to do with a switch from 20w50 to 10w40? Or, perhaps the bike just sat to long from the PO when I got it and the bearing got a little rust on it. The PNW can do that sort of thing...

Thanks for any thoughts.

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
If you look closely you can see scarring on the bearing cages and metal paste. Also the center of the bearing wobbles and slides. It is not normal.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes! That looks nasty. Seems like you lack oil circulation but its more likely neglect from the po. I'd guess it sat with moisture in the crankcase, it rusted, pitted and prolonged use destroyed it. This would be a good time to open the oil filter and inspect for particals. What did the steel and friction discs look like?

Depending on what you find in the filter, I might opt for a deeper inspection. My fear is there are other bearings and components at risk. That gray grime is not a pleasant sight. Sorry.

Last edited:

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
20-30$ for a bearing. Not a big deal, as long as there isn't any damage from the shiny metal paste.

The clutch plates and steels themselves looked ok, the metal looked confined to the center on the basket. I'll still be changing the oil and filter but beyond that, there isn't much I can do. Damage done, or not.

Hopefully not!

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha! $10 from a local bearing shop
A new EBC SRK Clutch, 3 quarts of oil and a filter and things are A-ok.

That EBC clutch is really nice, no more chattering, no more super small friction zone...
Life is good. I'm looking forward to the weekend :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope your using motorcycle specific oil. Regular car oil doesn't hold up with the transmission built into the FZ engine..

I'd run oil on the lighter side to try and flush that crap out.

Very odd that bearing failed unless, as Randy noted, it sat for a long time. There's really not much stress on that bearing. Moisture eventually made it to that bearing after the oil dripped off and it was more than likely in a humid area sitting.

Congrates finding/fixing it... :thumbup:

BTW, where did you wipe the shiney goo from?

Last edited:

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope your using motorcycle specific oil. Regular car oil doesn't hold up with the transmission built into the FZ engine..

I'd run oil on the lighter side to try and flush that crap out.

Very odd that bearing failed unless, as Randy noted, it sat for a long time. There's really not much stress on that bearing. Moisture eventually made it to that bearing after the oil dripped off and it was more than likely in a humid area sitting.

Congrates finding/fixing it... :thumbup:

BTW, where did you wipe the shiney goo from?

Using Mobile 1 Motocycle oil. 20-50 just went in for summer.

The shiny goop was lining the clutch basket, nut and pressure plate, it looks like it mostly stayed in there as the oil didn't have any metal in it when I dumped it.

I'm sure its going to be great from here on out. :thumbup:

Last edited: