Front tire issue?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone here is giving you excellent advice, and it's all right. One other thing though: Whenever I have a new tire mounted it ALWAYS takes a week or three for my tires to seat to the rim and I always lose tire pressure during this time. Have you rechecked the pressures? Just a thought...

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with the folks here going 33/36; those pressures seem to work out well.

I'm also with the camp that the Roadsmart on the rear and the PR2 on the front was the "strange" thing and the PR2 front and rear is where it should be. I think the Roadsmarts had a flatter profile (i.e., I think you didn't have to lean that far to get to the end of the tread (i.e., almost eliminate the chicken strips).

Another thing I was thinking -- maybe just me -- but, I think here in NH, it's gotten colder (actually less bloody hot). I've been riding in 90-100F weather and now I'm riding in 75F weather and maybe your tires aren't as sticky. I noticed this on my R6 and my car. I'm glad others use the term "doesn't feel right" because that's exactly how I described the feeling -- maybe squirrelly in the corners or on hard rear breaking (i.e., during parking lot practice).

Another thing -- perhaps unrelated -- is to clean your tires. In my case, I took a brush and scrubbed my tires. One thing I found was a pebble in the tread and a few dusty spots. If you ran over some oil stuff, that might make a difference too. I think one time I washed my cruiser tires with Dawn and water and rinsed them off really well. After I got done they felt stickier to the touch -- perhaps others can chime in on this practice. The big thing is to ensure that those tires are soap free when done. I had to do this on my cruiser because I was riding in Winter time and down in this Mass. town where I work, they don't use salt but use some powdery stuff that got on my tires making them feel slick all the way home.

I hope you get someone else to ride your bike so that you can get a second opinion.

Dennis

FZ6Hot

FZ6Hot
Reaction score
Visit site
I switched from Metzler m3 sportecs to the pilot 2ct's which I believe have the same profile as the pilot roads. Experienced the same sensation of the bike "falling" into the corner. The pilots have a more triangular profile than most other tires. The "falling in" bothered me so much I almost changed to another brand of tires.
I had front forks redone with intiminator valves and a heavier spring. No more "falling into" corners. The explanation I got from the suspension shop was the FZ6 has a very soft spring and the front spring compresses a lot under cornering forces changing the bike's geometry enough to exaggerate the triangular profile of the tire. Now I have quick turn in for cornering but it is smooth and consistent.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
John put the wheel back on last night, tightened the steering head bearings, checked the pressure, etc. I did not bring the bike to work today because he advised me to give it a "test ride" around the neighborhood first so I will do that after work.

Some of you hit the nail on the head with the way the bike feels and I am leaning toward the tire profile being the difference in what I'm feeling; or maybe the combination of the profile, cooler weather (stickiness), tire pressure and possibly the steering head bearings which I think will be a winter project to have replaced.

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions, you guys are great :thumbup:

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
i just replace my steering stem bearings and it only took a couple of hours as it was the first time i had done a set. it was much easier than i anticipated. id be happy to walk you (or john) through my method if you would like.

just give yourself some time to adjust to the new tires and i think youll be just fine (that way you can let john go ride!)

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after the mechanic at the dealer put a small weight on the tire, John put it back on the bike. John also tightened the steering head bearings again. I rode 400 miles this weekend and now it just feels like a new tire, I'm not getting that "something is wrong" feeling. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.