Front suspension shot?

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
I will be installing my Racetech springs and 15w fork oil, both of which have been sitting in my basement and collecting dust for the last 1-2 months or so. Being a beginner, I researched thoroughly the procedure I need to follow, and thanks to this thread and the other thread with the instructions (listed in here), I've got everything pretty clear to me.

The only thing I still kind of don't understand is setting the preload (sag). Here are my questions:

1) Is there some kind of formula / online calculator / reference chart, which will determine the suggested preload for my weight (about 190lbs)?

2) How does it work: longer spacer will give bigger sag, or it's the other way around?

3) The Racetech washers are there in order to allow "fine tuning" of this sag without having to cut the spacer, correct?

4) Cutting the spacer to such a length as to make Racetech spring + spacer exactly the same length as the factory spring + spacer is the preferred method, and then adding washers to increase the sag----is this the right way to go?

Thanks everyone! Not once or twice I found so much help in this forum....though my boss would have hated the forum if he only knew, lol

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
If you have the correct spring for your weight with gear then about a 12mm of preload should be close to perfect. I just put the spring, washer and spacer in and marked the spacer at the top of the fork and cut there.

I checked the sag after and had about 30mm after rebound.

And preload is how much the springs are compressed, more preload the less sag, less preload more sag. Dropping a washer in (adding preload) will decrease sag.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the correct spring for your weight with gear then about a 12mm of preload should be close to perfect. I just put the spring, washer and spacer in and marked the spacer at the top of the fork and cut there.

I checked the sag after and had about 30mm after rebound.

And preload is how much the springs are compressed, more preload the less sag, less preload more sag. Dropping a washer in (adding preload) will decrease sag.

Thanks a lot! This makes it clear to me! So, basically I can drop in washers to decrease sag, but if I wanted more sag later-on, I can cut some more of the spacer. Got it, thanks!

What is the recommended sag? I do the occasional highway riding and commuting, but sometimes I also like to ride it like I stole it in country backroads and twisties.