Front Sprocket Question

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about the change the front sprocket on my 2009 FZ6. It only had 4,000 miles but I want to upgrade from a 16T to a 17T because of a 3,000 trip I'm planning. Just thought it would provided a more comfortable better cruising speed on the interstate. My question is can I place a new front sprocket on a slightly used chain? Most of the sprocket choices I've been researching do not reconmend doing so and to replace both sprockets and chain at the same time. My other question is will there be enought slack in the chain to get around the 1T increase? I have only adjusted the chain once.

Thanks.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
it should be fine, loosen the rear by the same number of turns so the wheel stays aligned.

Also you will probably need a new lock washer for the sprocket, and a breaker bar + somebody to stand on the brake to undo it. Keep the bike in neutral so you don't stress the gearbox.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll be fine swapping out just the front sprocket. Keep the chain clean and lubed and it'll still last you a while. Also, yes, there is enough slack in the chain for the bigger sprocket. Just have to move the rear wheel forward a bit.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
it should be fine, loosen the rear by the same number of turns so the wheel stays aligned.

Also you will probably need a new lock washer for the sprocket, and a breaker bar + somebody to stand on the brake to undo it. Keep the bike in neutral so you don't stress the gearbox.

All you need is to put a piece of 2x4 or something similar between the wheel and swingarm so it can't turn forward. And keep the bike in neutral.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All you need is to put a piece of 2x4 or something similar between the wheel and swingarm so it can't turn forward. And keep the bike in neutral.

+1 on the above but I used a 5/8" thick steel bar (tire tool). A little easier to get in there, just put some padding on the wheel and swing arm to prevent scratching.. Use it the same way for tightening down as well..

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To confirm; yes you can put a new front sprocket on a used chain. And you will have plenty of slack. Make sure you get a sprocket for a 530 chain as that is the stock size. Not a 520. It will make your highway cruising wayyy more comfortable.

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Just one more question. I have read from other posts that increasing the front sprocket +1 will make the speedometer more accurate since it is approx 5-8% off with stock sproacket. What will it do to the odometer?

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
It will run 6.25% slower. A good number to remember if you are going to be calculating gas mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site

I tried it with a broomstick.. I ended up snapping it in half, some 2x4 might be strong enough, but I didn't have any at hand.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Just one more question. I have read from other posts that increasing the front sprocket +1 will make the speedometer more accurate since it is approx 5-8% off with stock sproacket. What will it do to the odometer?

The odometer will be more accurate. For example if your bikes speedo is 8% off, for every 100 miles you ride its tacking on an extra 8 miles.

I compared my speedo with a gps before and after the sprocket change. With the 17t it is dead on accurate now.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
The odometer will be more accurate. For example if your bikes speedo is 8% off, for every 100 miles you ride its tacking on an extra 8 miles.

I compared my speedo with a gps before and after the sprocket change. With the 17t it is dead on accurate now.

From what I've read, on stock sprockets, the odometer is dead on and the speedometer is fast. Changing to a 17t makes the speedometer dead on, but the odometer run slower. I've also verified this with GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk