Front sprocket nut

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Last night, as i turned into the street i live, suddenly the bike had no drive, and there was a strange noise by the chain.

I managed to get her home and have a look, and discovered that the front spocket nut had fallen off, along with the washer.

Now this is very unusual. The strangest part is that this is the second time it's happened in a year. What is truly confusing, is that when i got the last one, i enlisted the help of a friend of mine, well, his torque wrench :)

He's rebuilt several bikes, and we torqued the nut to spec, and hammered that washer PROPERLY so that the nut could NOT come off again.

Now, aside from having to replace a R250 nut AGAIN, what am i missing? Has anyone else had this issue? It is very strange to me .... :confused:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you use locktite as well?

You'd think the locking washer would do the trick...mine has not budged and all I did was apply a little bit of redlock tite, torque it to spec., and bend the washer over the nut.

*shrug*

Scary!

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had this happen but not on the Fz.
My Z1000 front sprocket nut came off,in those days it was just a nylon insert to hold it ,nothing else.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
So yamaha says:

The was no recall, merely an advisory to put locktite on the nut, in addition to torquing it, etc. Post 2005 they did this in the factory.

There was apparently no changes to the lock washer, only the addition of locktite.

Um, i suppose this is it then? I'm not happy, at all. If this is the case, then are they not obliged to put some kind of note in with nut? Specifying that contrary to the manual, loctite is required?

As to the rest, if you change sprockets, put locktite. no really trust me on this.

Last edited:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
When I changed my front sprocket out (2008) there was factory red loctite on it. I put a couple drops of red back on it myself when I put on my 15T.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
So yamaha says:

The was no recall, merely an advisory to put locktite on the nut, in addition to torquing it, etc. Post 2005 they did this in the factory.

There was apparently no changes to the lock washer, only the addition of locktite.

Um, i suppose this is it then? I'm not happy, at all. If this is the case, then are they not obliged to put some kind of note in with nut? Specifying that contrary to the manual, loctite is required?

As to the rest, if you change sprockets, put locktite. no really trust me on this.

I know on my 04, as well as some R6's (don't remember the year), there was a "technical bulletin" to replace the lock washer on the front sprocket.

See here: http://r6club.de/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2454

squirly

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 08 fz6 gonna check my torque on that. because at 3 days old my bolts came out on my front brake caliber while i was riding in traffic (scary!!) tie-wraped it up and rode to the dealer!!! I even got a new wheel because it got all dined up.
so loc-tite is a wonderful thing !!!!!