Front sprocket fell off while riding

ldbiker99

Ride hard or go home
Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding to work yesterday, waiting at a light it turns green accelerate thru the intersection...no cops around so take it to 13K then shift to second. When all of a sudden I have no power I rev the engine still nothing...I change gears everything is smooth but still no power...hmmmmmmm? So I coasted for about 1/2 a mile until I stopped in a parking lot...as luck would have it very close to work....so I push the bike to the front of the shop and let it sit...I go in to work handle a few customers and come back out with gloves and tools... I take the front sprocket cover off and find I am missing the countershaft locking nut and washer....damn .....so loosened up the chain adjusters and put the chain and sprocket back on and hope that I can get home...Got there and it only fell off once again ...easy fix ordered the parts and use the other bike until it is fixed....problem adverted...using loctite next time...:spank:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There should be a washer that you bend over the edge of the nut after tightening that is meant to prevent the nut from coming loose... Is that there???

Glad you got out of it with no major drama's, would hate to have it come off in the middle of peak-hour traffic and not have any power to get away.

:rockon:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
had you done any work to the bike at any point to the front sprocket or was it straight from the factory that way?

I had heard of this on the older ones and there was a recall, but nothing like this on the newer design.

ldbiker99

Ride hard or go home
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I have changed out the sprockets but I Use the torque specs when putting it back together...But this time I am gonna use Loctite

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
You should use the proper hardware (bending-locking washer)... I am not sure Loctite will do the job... and if you use red loctite, you will be pissed next time you need to change the sprocket...

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
At least from 2007+ they stopped using the bendable lock washer. The bolt, though, has 2 places, 180 degrees apart, to pinch onto the shaft - you should be able to see the dimpled areas on the shaft. A couple of knocks with a hammer into a flathead screwdriver worked for me. And the locktite of course.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At least from 2007+ they stopped using the bendable lock washer. The bolt, though, has 2 places, 180 degrees apart, to pinch onto the shaft - you should be able to see the dimpled areas on the shaft. A couple of knocks with a hammer into a flathead screwdriver worked for me. And the locktite of course.

My 07 has the original ft sprocket with no bend over tab. The nut has built in metal locking tabs.... I bought it from my friend, the original owner..... I think I would replace the nut with a new one should I ever have to replace the ft sprocket....

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm amazed that it didn't tear up jack! (There's probably thousands if scenerios where that could have been a bad scene!) Glad you're okay man.