Front springs question

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Have anyone replaced the front springs? I thing the stock ones are not ideal, even with the 5wt oil. They feel woody IMO

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, don't know how to change the header. You probably guessed it - it's "springs".
Have anyone replaced the front springs? I thing the stock ones are not ideal, even with the 5wt oil. They feel woody IMO
Many have swapped out the springs. Have you tried searching it on the Forum, it's about as popular as oil threads:D

When I had stock forks I swapped for Racetech .95's and 15wt oil. Looking back, .90 springs and 7.5 or 10wt oil would have been ideal. BTW, I was 185lb at the time.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I think Racetech has a spring/oil calculator based on your weight. The stock bike was pretty close for my weight (~170.)

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks.
I'm 150lb but often ride 2up and it can get to 280-300+ w/luggage.
But I'd like to replace them mostly because I don't think they have the feel I want. Especially over the bumpy roads which we still have plenty here. Feels too harsh. Maybe progressive ones would do better...

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done the full suspension upgrade, first started with springs and oil, then added some emulators, then added a custom rear shock.

In my opinion it is really worth going for emulators in the front. You can do what you want with the springs, the damping rods are still what controls the damping, and damping is what influences ride quality the most.

I have created two threads where everything was discussed in depth, there are a few links i posted about springs and damping in those that are worth reading.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-performance-mods-section/51901-suspension-setup.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/53102-final-motorcycle-update.html

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe progressive ones would do better...

OEM springs are progressive ~ 0.7 to 1.25 or something like that. The rear is not. Its a fixed rate.

3 votes for doing it proper!
Springs, oil, & emulators OR R6 forks! They nearly bolt in and are cheap these days.