Front brakes not releasing

KillaLude

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got an 07 FZ6 back in April i just rebuilt the front forks and changed the brakes. about 3 weeks ago i noticed my front tire wont spin freely it makes about half a turn then stops.

since then i have changed the calipers, pads, fluid, checked the the forks are aligned checked the master cylinder is releasing pressure and checked the rotors arent bent. i've bleed and bleed and bleed the lines. the only thing i havent changed out yet is the lines.

does anyone have any ideas as what to do i miss riding.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't there some sort of pinhole that allows fluid to through back through the MC into the reservoir when the brake is not applied that can get clogged? That could an issue, but I think it would lead to the wheel locking up completely. This sounds more like a caliper pin needing lube (if the four pot calipers have pins--do they?) or piston seals needing lube and/or replacement. Have you checked those things? How many miles has it got? Does it show signs of use in rain, or storage outdoors?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i had this on mine when i put new pads in

there was loads of crud on the ends of one of the slider pins, which was pulling the caliper to one side and making it bind

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got an 07 FZ6 back in April i just rebuilt the front forks and changed the brakes. about 3 weeks ago i noticed my front tire wont spin freely it makes about half a turn then stops.

since then i have changed the calipers, pads, fluid, checked the the forks are aligned checked the master cylinder is releasing pressure and checked the rotors arent bent. i've bleed and bleed and bleed the lines. the only thing i havent changed out yet is the lines.

does anyone have any ideas as what to do i miss riding.

A known problem/fix. My 04 FJR did the same thing as did my 07 FZ6... And welcome! Search is your friend!

Here ya go!!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...cleaning-brake-calipers-need-little-help.html

Last edited:

peteehoward

Reaction score
Visit site
A easy check is to pull off one caliper and have some one Very Slowly pull on the brake lever. When the pistons move out a little bit ask them to stop. Release the brake lever. Now try to push the piston back in. If it pushes in then there is nothing wrong with your line or master cylinder.

If it doesn't move then:
Do you have a rubber or stainless steel lines or rubber?
If rubber then I suggest you replace them with ss lines then retest.
How did you test that the master cylinder is releasing pressure?

If it does move then:
You stated that you replaced the calipers, where the new or used?
When replacing it did you replace all the hardware with it or just the caliper?
Did you lubricate the slide pins and sides of the pads?

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Do bikes need to be checked for runout like cars? If so - there's a possibility.

Slight highjack - how do you get the front wheel off the ground without a stand?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Do bikes need to be checked for runout like cars? If so - there's a possibility.

Slight highjack - how do you get the front wheel off the ground without a stand?

centre stand or rear paddock stand + something like a jack under the headers (with a piece of wood so you don't damage them)

if you have a centre stand you could try putting a load of weight on the back too

KillaLude

Reaction score
Visit site
i had this on mine when i put new pads in

there was loads of crud on the ends of one of the slider pins, which was pulling the caliper to one side and making it bind

that's the first thing i cleaned.

A known problem/fix. My 04 FJR did the same thing as did my 07 FZ6... And welcome! Search is your friend!

Here ya go!!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...cleaning-brake-calipers-need-little-help.html

Thanks i read that i have already pulled everything apart cleaned and lubed with brake grease.

A easy check is to pull off one caliper and have some one Very Slowly pull on the brake lever. When the pistons move out a little bit ask them to stop. Release the brake lever. Now try to push the piston back in. If it pushes in then there is nothing wrong with your line or master cylinder.

If it doesn't move then:
Do you have a rubber or stainless steel lines or rubber?
If rubber then I suggest you replace them with ss lines then retest.
How did you test that the master cylinder is releasing pressure?

If it does move then:
You stated that you replaced the calipers, where the new or used?
When replacing it did you replace all the hardware with it or just the caliper?
Did you lubricate the slide pins and sides of the pads?

i have tried with 2 sets of rubber lines they move easy with both sets.i did 2 test to test the master cylinder i checked that nothing is stoping up the holes and i pumped it up and cracked the masters banjo bolt and it wasnt holding any pressure.

they were used.

center stand or rear paddock stand + something like a jack under the headers (with a piece of wood so you don't damage them)

if you have a center stand you could try putting a load of weight on the back too

center stand with wood under the header

I'm going to order ss lines and clean and re lube then if that doesn't work i will replace the caliper seals

KillaLude

Reaction score
Visit site
update i just re washed scrubbed and lubed everything and put them back together i must have missed something last time now it seems to work. thanks everyone for the help

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent!

Just for later FYI, Yamaha wants the brake seals and lines replaced EVERY TWO YEARS! I've found you can unsually get 4-5 years out of the brake seals, then just replace them.

I really couldn't physically feel or see any difference between the new and the old seals when placed side by side however, the NEW ONES are apparently much more flexible and don't stick...