Front Brake Switch

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
My FZ has been an outside bike most of her 2 years and 11,000 miles and I noticed at a stop light the other day my brake light wasn't on (checking the reflection on the car behind me). Tapped the rear brake and it came right on.

Removed the fiddly little bastard and took a multimeter to it. It isn't quite "dead", but its well into the upside-down-roach-with-its-legs-twitching faze. Seems to deactivate/activate at will with any movement of the lever, before the normal CLICK you hear/feel. Couple that with my LED tail, and god knows how long I've been dazzling drivers behind me at night.

Took the switch over to Barney's (dealer) and they gave me one of those "we've never seen one of those go bad, must be your LED tail." excuses and told me they don't have any in stock and cant get it.

Ron Ayes has one for $10.50, plus whatever they want to ship something the size and weight of a nickel (proly $12!!).

Anyone else had issues with this?

Edit: Heres the part number: 4HM-83980-00-00, its #12 here:

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm.../GroupID/382141/Group/FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_#

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Yes mine has been acting up since it got hit. It still works, just has to be pressed further. Before it came on with the lever before the brakes touched the rotors, now its just as they touch.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine just failed on a bike less than a year old, dealer told me same story about them never failing...

Mine was replaced under warranty, took a couple of days to arrive.

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem. Just replaced the switch on the handle and it was fine. It was around $20 at the dealer. It wasnt worth ordering online.