Front Brake Maintenance and the FZ1 Bar

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting audible dragging and only about 1 1/2 rotations on the front wheel on the stand so I know the calipers need to be lubed and the pistons pressed back in at the very least along with a fluid flush/change. Just wondering what others have done after installing the FZ1 bars (since the reservoir on the master cylinder is now angled). Did you put your old bars back on or is there some other trick? I knew I should have done this before I swapped, but being lazy I didn't and now I have a feeling it's going to come back and bite me... I'm thinking I'll pop the master cylinder off and then unbolt the top clamp and move the fz1 bar forward (with everything else still attached). Then I can bolt down the stock bar and remount the master cylinder and that will give me the correct angle and ability to pump the brake without too much extra work. Just looking for other options I may have missed.

Last edited:

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm I recently changed all brakelines and fluid on mine (and I have/had the fz1 bars on there) and I didn't have any issues - why are you worried about the angle - it's not that bad and you really don't have to refill the reservoir that much more often?
I say leave it on there - my .02$

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just worried that fluid is going to go all over the place when I pop the cap off... Maybe I'll just take the 2 bolts out and open it off the bike to see if shes gonna spill or not and go from there. :)

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
If you turn the bars full lock to the left the reservoir will be almost level. I don't remember having any issues with the fluid leaking when I swapped to the FZ1 bars

zanadu

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't have any issues with this, but I did spill some fluid while filling the reservoir because brake fluid gets absolutely everywhere...

I recommend placing plenty of rags beneath the master cylinder. Also don't get any on your tank as brake fluid will remove paint.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you turn the bars full lock to the left the reservoir will be almost level. I don't remember having any issues with the fluid leaking when I swapped to the FZ1 bars

+1
It tilts a little but IIRC turning it helps! Also - a slight angle and the sight glass is near useless so if that's what you're judging this by, open it and double check.

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up the stuff I needed to do this last week, but was sick all weekend and haven't done it yet. I have only gotten the rear brake taken care of.