Friction zone

azphazer

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only had my '08 FZ6 for about a month now and it is a blast !!! However, it has almost NO friction zone. I'd say the clutch disengages with no more than a 1/2 inch pull on the lever. Is this normal or something that can be adjusted ? I like more room in the friction zone if possible, not just "engaged" or "disengaged". Thanks.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
You can do the above mod, which I've heard works quite well, or just wait and it will get better, I've got 17k+ on the bike and either I got used to the friction zone or it got bigger but I have no trouble with the clutch now and yes I stalled the bike 3-4 times when it was new due to the small engagement of the clutch.

Jerry

hamwedges

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only had my '08 FZ6 for about a month now and it is a blast !!! However, it has almost NO friction zone. I'd say the clutch disengages with no more than a 1/2 inch pull on the lever. Is this normal or something that can be adjusted ? I like more room in the friction zone if possible, not just "engaged" or "disengaged". Thanks.

Im glad someone else asked this, something thats been in the back of my mind for a while, just didn't want to be told that i need a new clutch.
Had the bike for about 3 months now, getting used to it.

Last edited:

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
Synthetic oil really helps the shifting:thumbup:
Changed mine at 1600 miles made a big difference
and with more miles it is getting even better:cheer:

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
nature of the beast with the fz6. You'll learn to master it. Just a tip, try using two finders on the clutch instead of a handful. Though i was told it is a bad habit by my abate instructor, it makes shifting for me much more simple.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
ive had my fz for a few months now, and having ridden bikes my whole life, i was surprised to feel the clutch on this bike and to hear that its 'normal'. the clutch was the one thing i didnt like about the fz.

BUT, as was mentioned earlier, another member, killernoodle, modifies the lever on the engine case to change the pull and friction zone. for $50, he reworks your parts. i just got mine back (the finish is fantastic) and installed them. the difference is night and day! the clutch is now very smooth and easy to pull. the friction zone is wider and in a more normal spot within the lever travel. the lever is also adjustable, so you can fine tune your friction zone.

i cannot recommend this mod enough! it will be the best $50 spend, hands down. look for his thread about clutch levers in the 'mod' section. you will not be sorry.