Frickin' dealer set-up mistakes

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish the set-up (wo)man (or is it a kid?) would have been more concientious. After my left mirror was practically falling off my '07 with 2,400 miles, I took off panel "C" (the main front). I discovered that both my mirrors were installed with only one 6mm nut (each mirror has two 6mm studs) and the left side one nut was practically totally unscrewed off. Geez. I suppose if it fell off, it would be an awkward warranty request to get a replacement mirror? I discovered another screw missing under rear fender, and I discovered engine mount bolts were only 1/2 torqued when I installed my frame sliders. I wonder what the set-up person does/thinks upon discovering extra nuts, screws, etc. after the job? "Oh well!" Dealership also intially gave me an '06 owner's manual with bike. I had to correspond with US corporate hdqts, and dealership several times, finally wait about a month for the '07 manual. Oh well, at least I didn't get a lemon. (do any bikes, cages come in "lemon yellow"?). I guess, yeah, this story is minor league. But, anybody else care to disclose here any set-up gaffes? I did my own 600 mile service and I doubt if dealer service tech would have caught this stuff anyway.

H

HavBlue

There's a lot you can blame the dealer for but one of them isn't the engine mount bolt torque as this is done at the factory. Have you ever seen what the bike looks like when it gets uncrated? Here, have a look and see what they have to assemble. Not much.....

W

wrightme43

Yep mine looked just like that. LOL

Maybe contact Yamaha and let them know what happened.

E

exhaust

My 08 had its fuel vent hose pinched off from the fuel tank being placed on top of it. It was pinched between the frame and the fuel tank so that is something people should check.

H

HavBlue

Folks, just because it's new doesn't mean it's right and you should be checking everything. Doing so eliminates a lot of guess work.

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also missing two of the bolts on my mirrors... the best part is that they CHARGE YOU MONEY for PDI... I would like my $250 back, thank you, a$$hats.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also missing two of the bolts on my mirrors... the best part is that they CHARGE YOU MONEY for PDI... I would like my $250 back, thank you, a$.

Whirlygirl: Maybe Yamaha set-up personnel should take some tips from your helicopter maintenance crew, which, I'm sure, is more professional and methodical. I mean, how does Yamaha miss set-up stuff? Is there not a check-off list? And looking---thanks, HavBlue---at the way FZ6's are delivered to the dealer, it doesn't look like it's a helluva lot of stuff to set-up. My dealer couldn't even figure out how to provide the right frickin' year owner's manual with the bike: how professional is that?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Both my bike and Pete's (Hellgate) were missing screws from the fairing inner panels. This was two seperate dealerships.

I believe that a fairly competent tech assembles the bike from the crate, but when it comes to sale time, the kid who spends all day sweeping up the shop gets to hook up the battery. Of course he doesn't put it back together the right way.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my 08 was missing the two bolts under the inner fairing also, u take the end caps off so u can get the tank up and then they are right there. i assembled many units and for each model yamaha sends you a assembly book..... if they failed to put the fz6 together correctly I dont wanna see the sleds they put together or the old blasters.....

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also missing two of the bolts on my mirrors... the best part is that they CHARGE YOU MONEY for PDI... I would like my $250 back, thank you, a$.

That's Pacific Yamaha for you.... :(
My bike was missing the upper bolt on the left front brake caliper...the upper one on the fork lug. That could have killed me.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a lot you can blame the dealer for but one of them isn't the engine mount bolt torque as this is done at the factory. Have you ever seen what the bike looks like when it gets uncrated? Here, have a look and see what they have to assemble. Not much.....

Thanks! I've been trying to determine if the front brake caliper is installed on the front forks at the factory or at the dealership. From your photo of your bike in the crate, it looks like it's installed at the factory. That confirms that the upper mounting bolt on my bike was "borrowed" prior to me taking delivery of my bike....No, I have no idea how I missed that (as I've mentioned before, love IS blind), but it created a situation that could have killed me when the caliper's lower bolt loosened off and the caliper swung down.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
um the front brake calipers some times come in bags or mounted but u usually have to unbolt them to get the front wheel in. I think the most pathetic part of many mechanics is they always seem to forget to pump the brakes after they change pads. I have ripped more than one mechanic for it good thing i was doing the test ride and not the customer. Gotta love MMI 18 months and they make them think they are master mechanics......