Frame slider?

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, maybe it's just me, but I'd avoid anyone selling a "no cut" kit for a bike without side fairings to be cut.

I view frame sliders like the winch on my truck... I don't want to need them, but when I do need them, I want them to work. I'd rather spend the few extra $$$ now on a properly designed part, than risk my frame being ****ed anyway because I wanted to save <$80. I've read that improperly designed ones can tweak/damage the frame rather than save it. I'm sure there's a possibility the same could happen with good ones, just less likely.

I blew the money on Motovations... I haven't tried them, but they look pretty! :thumbup:

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
Theres plenty of research on the forum and web about this. I personally bought some cheap carbon fiber ones off ebay and after about a week took them off. They looked like crap. Didnt match the smooth flow of the bike. And I, too, thought it was worth a few extra $ to save the bike.

That being said, I ended up finally deciding on OES accessories. Theres a few people on here with them. They're not as high or well-known as Motovation etc, but very VERY well built. The customer service is untouchable. If you email them, you'll have non-automated reply within the day. I opted for the extended ones, somewhat reluctantly, and now I love them. The black matches the other blacks on the fz, and I have the red logo, which matches my reflective pinstripe on the wheel. Plus at highway speeds and long distance rides I'll prop my legs up on the sliders and cruise just to change leg position. ::knock on wood:: havent had to try them out yet, but I feel they will do their part when/if they need too.

Yamaha FZ6 Frame Sliders

Also, if you change your mind about the color of the logo, you can email them and they'll send you more of whatever color logo.

Hope this helps!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
What ever slider you end up going with i would try to stay away form the extended sliders. It seems that more people have had problems with them breaking the frame than any other slider, most likely due to the extra length giving it more leverage to break something in a fall. They might be alright in a low speed fall or just a tip over and save some of the plastics but thats not what frame sliders are for, they are called frame sliders because they are suposed to protect the frame.

Mike372

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the extended OES sliders for my bike and OES no cut for my wife's FZ6r.

Even though I had never planned on it, I gave them a good test a couple weeks ago when I lowsided the bike on a turn going around 35 mph. Road was just getting wet from dew and the bike went down on the turn. The slider on the left side got torn up pretty bad from the asphalt, but the rest of the bike only had some dirt and grass on it from where I came to rest on the side of the road.

Ordered a new slider to replace the damaged one and got it delivered the next day (OES is based in Tennessee). Frame was fine after the wreck. The sliders saved me at least $1000 in damage because I have full TCP fairings on my bike as well as Rizoma turn signals. Worth every penny and wont have a bike again that doesn't have sliders.

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the extended OES sliders for my bike and OES no cut for my wife's FZ6r.

Even though I had never planned on it, I gave them a good test a couple weeks ago when I lowsided the bike on a turn going around 35 mph. Road was just getting wet from dew and the bike went down on the turn. The slider on the left side got torn up pretty bad from the asphalt, but the rest of the bike only had some dirt and grass on it from where I came to rest on the side of the road.

Ordered a new slider to replace the damaged one and got it delivered the next day (OES is based in Tennessee). Frame was fine after the wreck. The sliders saved me at least $1000 in damage because I have full TCP fairings on my bike as well as Rizoma turn signals. Worth every penny and wont have a bike again that doesn't have sliders.

I'll go with the 2in.

Oes is the way to go or does anyone else recommend any other brands?

I think the consensus is OES extended sliders. Disregard anybody who say otherwise, they don't know what they're talking about. BTW the frame slider are named that not because they protect the frame. It's because they're ATTACHED to the frame.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
In defense of the OES extended. I dont think they are as long as the ones featured in those threads Travis. My OES extended are 4" and they way they are mounted, they don't really seem to stick out as far as those do. I still think any frame slider is better than no frame slider. and some cheaper no-name extended would probably be a nuisance. But I think OES knows what they're doing and have made a good product. (Not affiliated with them at all).

If mine were that much shorter, I'd almost be nervous of how much protectiong they would provide. It would seem the tank would hit before the sliders if you shaved a few inches off.

All this being said, I think one of the most important part of frame sliders is understanding that they arent meant to save your bike from doing 70mph and laying it down or keep your bike from being harmed completely. Leave the bike in the garage if thats what you want. Frame sliders are simply a tool to TRY and cut down on rash/damage in a lowspeed or drop. The bolt is also just as important as the slider it self. If it's made out of something thats really weak it'll just break in a drop and not help that much. If it's extremely strong and doesnt give at all or just bends, then the force will exert on the frame causing stress and possible crack.

Just to cover my butt, this is all IMHO. Not views stated by OES or any other company.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the bolt plays a big role in it as well, but you would be surprised the "standard" size sliders still do protect the tank, unfortunately i know from both sides lol. A lot of it depends on exactly how the bike falls and what it hits. Not everyone who has had to use their extended sliders has had the frame broke but out of those who have had frame damage with sliders most had extended sliders. I can't find the thread but there was one guy who had extended sliders and his frame broke just from falling over.

No one wants their bike to go down and if it does who wouldn't want the best protection possible but with a aluminum frame it doesn't take a lot to damage it. The same thing could also happen to a "standard" slider given the right circumstances, in the end it's up the you what you want to do and if the pro's out weight the con's according to you.

CroFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's also well worth getting axle sliders, these also reduce the points of contact with the deck. I came off on a roundabout that was covered with shale whilst going about 40mph. I had frame sliders €25.00 from e-bay and axle sliders by Crash Bobbins €20.00. The total damage was 2cm graze to the upper fairing edge and ground down slider. The bike slid about 50 feet before stopping. I would definitely recommend some frame protection.
I now have heed engine bars with stubby sliders.

Neil

Last edited:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
It's also well worth getting axle sliders to. These also reduce the points of contact with the deck. I came of on a roundabout that was covered with shale whilst going about 40mph. I had frame sliders €25.00 from e-bay and axle sliders by Crash Bobbins €20.00. The total damage was 2cm graze to the upper fairing edge and ground down slider. The bike slid about 50 feet before stopping. I would definitely recommend some frame protection.
I now have heed engine bars with stubby sliders.

Neil

The sliders, and bobbins did a good job for you? Which ones do you have from ebay?