Frame slider Quest Completed!!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done it!! I'm hanging up the boomer and burying the gloves; I've found the answer to Frame sliders!!

WHAT ARE FRAME SLIDERS?
-Any tool or accessory that distributes and absorbs impact on the lateral sides of a motorcycle.

WHY FRAME SLIDERS?
Broken levers, cracked signal-lights, scratched engines, dented gas-tanks, bent frames and even spilled fluids are the beginning. You've dropped your motorcycle! Let's face the facts:

-Motorcycle frames are designed to be more lighter and exposed every day.
-Without support, any motorcycle will fall down by itself.
-Human beings are materialistic.
-The solution? FRAME SLIDERS!

WILL FRAME SLIDERS PREVENT ALL DAMAGE?
No

WILL FRAME SLIDERS PREVENT <SOME> DAMAGE?
Yes

WHO USES THEM?
Club racers, street racers, performance motorcyclists, domestic riders and the paranoid.
-Professional MotoGP racers DO NOT use frame sliders on the main circuit! They're not on Valentino Rossi's M1 or Nicky Hayden's RC211V; those are professional race-bikes that need as much aerodynamics and weight reductions as possible. These superbikes are backed by sponsors and factory teams that replace any and all parts if there is a crash.

FZ6 CONSIDERATIONS
The FZ6 is BEGGING for framesliders! They're so easy to install and there aren't any fairings or panels in the way! The biggest problem with sportbikes are those aerodynamic panels, because it's VERY DIFFICULT to drill holes through the bodywork to install their own frame sliders. Some sportbikes even have liquid reservoirs that need to be modified in order to even consider frame sliders! The FZ6 doesn't have these problems.

FRAME SLIDER TYPES
Here are 4 kinds:

FAIRING SLIDERS
attachment.php
[
attachment.php

-Small screws
-Short studs
-Minor impact and abrasion resistance
-NOT recommended for serious riders
--You drill some screws into your bodywork and install some studs.

DIRECT FRAME SLIDERS
attachment.php

-Small to large screws
-Short to long studs
-Minor to major impact and abrasion resistance
-Recommended for all kinds of riders and experienced mechanics.
-Difficult to install
--You drill some holes into your frame and engineblock, locating strong points that won't damage any internal parts, then mount studs over the points.

IN-DIRECT FRAME SLIDERS
attachment.php

-Brackets
-Prevents drilling in areas of the frame
-Prevents drilling in areas of the fairing
-Balance required in bracket design between rigidity and absorbing quality.
-Expensive

ENGINE BOLT-ON FRAME SLIDERS
attachment.php

-Long screws
-Long studs
-Major impact and abrasion resistance
-Recommended for all riders
-Easy to install (unless you need to drill through bodywork)
-Available in all price ranges

MATERIALS AND QUALITY [IMPORTANT]
There are 3 points to consider when getting frame sliders:

1) Abrasion resistance - the ability to prevent damage to the motorcycle as it slides laterally against the ground. The more friction resistance the better.

2) Impact resistance - the ability to prevent damage to the motorcycle as it collides against the ground. The more shock absorption, the better.

3) Durability - the amount of time the device provides protection. The more longer-lasting the better.

Quality, design and visual appeal should all be considered before choosing frame sliders. Look for the following features:

INSERTS - You want materials woven into the studs that is both shock-absorbing and rigid. Aluminum is a good start.

STUDS - You want a material that provides the best abrasion and impact resistance. You want a color that matches your frame. Hard plastic or Nylon provide the best.

BOLTS - Anodized steel bolts are the way to go. They are the most durable and KEEP THE FRAME OFF THE GROUND during a slide-out. Any softer material will break away; failing to keep the frame off the ground. The bolt heads should be socketed to prevent its surface area from causing excessive friction in case of a slide-out.

STAINLESS STEEL WASHERS - These prevent a galvanic reaction from occuring between two metals. If you mount a steel bolt into an aluminum frame, you'll create a galvanic reaction that accelerates corrosion. Washers prevent this contact. Washers also prevent bolts from being drilled in too deeply.

CAN YOU TELL WHICH FRAME SLIDERS IN THE PICTURES ARE GOOD OR BAD QUALITY?

Last edited:

lostinaustin

Reaction score
Visit site
i got my sliders in the nick of time- i just put them on and 10 minutes later i dropped my bike while putting it on the center stand! not a scratch on the bike but it hurt me seeing her lay there:(

mine are t-rex brand off of ebay for $20+ shipping for anyone looking for cheap ones.

lostinaustin

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Elm's post has no "Thanks" button.... hmmm.....

Well, THANKS ELM!!! Great post! Can you please reference where you found the information?? Thank you!