Frame slider of choice?

Nathanizer

Reaction score
Visit site
Off topic a little, but I just recently bought some frame sliders for my 2008 FZ6 and I heard a rumor that frame sliders can actually crack the frame on your bike if droped, is this true? or is this just a silly rumor? :confused:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Off topic a little, but I just recently bought some frame sliders for my 2008 FZ6 and I heard a rumor that frame sliders can actually crack the frame on your bike if droped, is this true? or is this just a silly rumor? :confused:

Well it's too broad of a generalization as it would all depend on many different aspects such as the speed and type of impact the slider/bike took. Some also say that sliders can "dig into" the raod surface instead of slide. It's like saying "getting into an accident will total your car" - not always true if it's just a fender bender or a minor accident.

Basically I wouldn't expect any "slider" to do much more than protect my bike/body work from not much more than a 'stop & flop' type drop.

Last edited:

Nathanizer

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok good info, I am talking about just droping it in the driveway kind of thing, I know just as well that there are many factors in a crash, and in almost any moving crash I wouldnt expect the sliders to protect much. Thanks for your info

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Uncaged Frame Sliders here. But IMO, any sliders is better than none specially for those stop and flop instances.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I love the idea of the genuine yamaha ones with the extra bracket, but they sure are pricey. Anyone know if you get what you pay for? (also like the rizoma ones)

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the design of Woodcraft sliders the best. The closed end should enable it to slide and not catch road irregularities more than the open types. Plus, they have a more low-key look to them.

Tim

rickawd

Reaction score
Visit site
i also have woodcraft and think the quality is top notch. had t-rex and 1 of sliders cracked, never touched the ground. maybe i over tighten it and when it got warm (i installed in winter) expanded, causing the crack. in any case, i wouldn't buy again

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
i just bought some sho-gun sliders off ebay for a few bucks. not sure if they are any good, but ill let you know when they come in. all i ask is that they protect the engine if it tips...if i wreck, i have other greater concerns!

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Motovation frame sliders - more expensive but they held up well when my bike went sliding across the track.

krushnuts

Where did I put my keys..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sold 100% on the Oggy Knobs - tried and tested! This was done lowsiding at around 100kph - turn 1 at Qld Raceway lol classic ... No damage to the chassis or the engine.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
i just installed a set of shogun sliders. the bolts were plenty long enough to achieve the 40 ft lb of torque. i saw a comment earlier asking why the right side puck is shorter than the left...the frame on the right side sticks out further so the puck doesnt have to be as long. the frame on the left tucks in a bit which requires a longer puck. the overall width of each side with the sliders is equal.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_0001.jpg

here is my LSL's and they do match the bike for the most part.. i dunno how "functional" they would be in a crash, but when i researched a long time ago they seemed like they would do the job... and yes, new they are expensive (or at least more expensive than other options).. but i really liked the look of them and its better to have something than not.. :thumbup:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
My recommendation is the extended OES slider with 2" diameter. I reviewed this sliders about 2 weeks ago and tested (LOL) 2 days ago. I was involved in a slow speed accident. Basically I got hit by a SUV and bike felled on its left side. You can see the pictures under threads "bike tipped over, need help!" & "I think I found the PERFECT sliders".

As you can see in the pictures, the frame sliders did its job. The front fairing tip did managed to hit the ground though. I can only imagine the damage if the slider was a whole inch shorter.

Your choice though.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
T-Rex frame sliders for me!!

Here I am this past Saturday on the Dragon (shot courtesy of US129 photos) having a blast!!
30m0pab.jpg

On my third run...not so fun:
r2qdub.jpg

Slider did it's job. Only damage to the bike was a scuffed mirror and what they call the mole piece (flat black "eyelid" piece around the headlight) and a nick on the bar end. Ordered another set when we got back to the hotel for the night.

$150 worth of parts to make her like new again with slider....I dread to think what the damage would have been without it.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used the Uncaged sliders and they worked very well. I now am using some FS6 sliders, but luckily have not had to test them.

I do have a question? The FS6 sliders are torqued to spec but the delrin puck still rotates. Is this a problem? I did a search and an old post said someone with Shogun sliders had the same issue, but no real problems. FS^ is out of biz, they said it was fine, but I wanted to hear a second opinion.