Frame slider installation-- really???

Brian_N

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered these frame sliders a while back on ebay. They arrived. The packaging didn't really contain anything in the way of instructions. They do however have instructions online. They recommend professional installation. Really? I mean really, it seems so strait forward--am I missing something?

Also, how important is it that they are attached at a specific torque setting?

The instructions say: "Do not try to install this product without proper tools, recently calibrated torque wrench, correct torque specifications from factory service manual, safety goggles and gloves."

Sometimes these kind of sentences are mostly to cover the company and sometimes they are super important.

If this is important could someone hook me up with the factory service manual's specs? I don't have one.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
A few folks have in fact stripped the engine mount threads when installing frame sliders, so it wouldn't hurt to have a good torque wrench and to follow the factory spec.

Other than that, no, you aren't missing anything. It really is a job that a competent person can easily do on their own - again, given the right tools.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, you're right to be concerned. Be extra meticulous with this installation. For example, compare the stock bolts and measure that your new frame slider bolts will grab as much threads as your OEM bolts. I have had frame sliders sent out to me that didn't grab (after allowing for the slider hardware) as many threads as the OEM engine mount bolts. Consequently, torqing the bolts down per specs ended up STRIPPING and damaging the frame threads. Be extra careful, yes, when installing these new frame sliders. If you over torque them you risk stipping the frame threads and then you're really in trouble. I recommend comparing by hand or torque wrench the original engine mount bolts with the new slider bolts. Get a feel for how much torque it takes for the OEM bolts and the slider bolts. You are absolutely right for being cautious with installing frame sliders. I highly recommend using locktite in lieu of possibly over torquing the new bolts. The engine mount threads will strip if over torqued!