Frame Slider Installation Question

RICK-WPB

Reaction score
Visit site
I have purchased and installed Motovation Frame Sliders on my 2006 FZ6. Installation was very simple which involved removing the right and left engine mounting bolts M10 and replacing them with the longer ones that came with the slider kit. Yamaha specifies 40 ft-lbs of torque to tighten the M10 engine mounting bolts. No mention of using a thread locker compound (for example Loctite 268 or similar). Would it be advisable to use a thread lock compound on the bolt threads or just tighten to the factory recommended torque value.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about whether or not, but for the love of God stay away from the red stuff!!! Blue is best!!! Red= crank your elbow off before that bolt goes anywhere!

RICK-WPB

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, would go with the blue for medium strength rather than high strength red. I think it is Loctite 248 for the blue. Can't see how it could be a problem but I was curious about why Yamaha may not be using it for the egnine mount bolts. The original bolt took a bit of effort to break free but there were no signs of any thread locking compound on the threads. Could be the 40 ft-lb torque is sufficient. That is fairly high torque for this size thread.

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same question and one of my mechanic friends answered:

Reason why manufacturers or mechanics don't really use loctite on anything is because it's a nuisance when you gotta undo a bolt or screw to work on it.

IMO, since the stock bolts don’t even have loctite, it’s not required. But, since I don’t have a torque wrench and I’m always paranoid about bolts vibrating off, I used blue loctite as well. Stay away from the red stuff, if those bolts need to come off, you may require to heat up the part. With blue, you’ll still be able to remove the bolt with a conventional tool. (see instructions on package)

Last edited:

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I thot when I put in my sliders, but with mine, I was just compressing the delrin, so the blue stuff was a must for me... if you've got metal to metal and can reach the 40lbs you should be ok, but the blue couldn't hurt...

cmarsdavis

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI...I put on my sliders about 2 weeks ago. I've ridden about 3 or 4 times since then. Just for fun, I checked to see if they were loose (I didn't use any loctite). Sure enough, I was able to turn the slider with my hand. I need to put some on mine, otherwise, you'll be tightening all the time.

RICK-WPB

Reaction score
Visit site
The nice thing about the Motovation Frame Sliders is they do have a solid alumimum spacer so you do have metal on metal contact for torquing the bolts. I think I will use a bit of the blue and torque to spec. All very helpful comments. Much appreciated!
BTW, also installed the Motovation swing arm sliders. Looks great and really cleaned up the rear end look of the hollow rear axle tube.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
The nice thing about the Motovation Frame Sliders is they do have a solid alumimum spacer so you do have metal on metal contact for torquing the bolts. I think I will use a bit of the blue and torque to spec. All very helpful comments. Much appreciated!
BTW, also installed the Motovation swing arm sliders. Looks great and really cleaned up the rear end look of the hollow rear axle tube.

What did the swing arm sliders have holding them on? Was it a rod with the treads in it? If so, do you think that regular swing arm sliders and some rod with the treads in it would also work? Do you have any pics?

Symba2000

Reaction score
Visit site

nice work man...

Got any pics of post-install results?

RICK-WPB

Reaction score
Visit site