forward footrests

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a long ride coming up (Jackson Ms to Key West Fl) and my warm up rides have shown that if I could stretch my legs forward for a bit things would be exponentially better. I've seen some pegs attached to some sort of bar towards the bottom front of the engine, but I'm not coming up with much in my search. Any ideas?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a long ride coming up (Jackson Ms to Key West Fl) and my warm up rides have shown that if I could stretch my legs forward for a bit things would be exponentially better. I've seen some pegs attached to some sort of bar towards the bottom front of the engine, but I'm not coming up with much in my search. Any ideas?

Sometimes I feel like mimicking a cruiser and I'll put my feet up on my frame sliders. Changes up your seating position a little bit, your butt gets a little break from the standard seating position. You can also just dangle your legs, drag your feet when your traveling slowly, not wear a helmet, or fit straight pipes on your bike, but I think the best way to look like a cruiser is to hit up the local bar for a few drinks before you head out.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They're typically called highway pegs. I don't remember if FZ6 has unused front motor mounts like FZ1, but there's where I have those pegs mounted. For long highway rides, they're very good. Nice to be able to stretch out. When not used, they fold up and are nearly invisible.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
I also rest my legs on my sliders, it's not the safest thing to do because you can't control gears/rear break but if you have a clear straight its great for a stretch.

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
Erci, what brand do you have? Any link? I've seen sw-motech (in pics) mounted on an fz6, but I don't think they make them any longer. I can kick my feet up on my sliders for a change of position, but it doesn't help the bind in my hips any. Thats the worst spot. Sitting back on the pillion helps some, and of course I swing my feet off the pegs, stretch them forward.....all the usual stuff.

To the cruiser comments :Flip:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci, what brand do you have? Any link? I've seen sw-motech (in pics) mounted on an fz6, but I don't think they make them any longer. I can kick my feet up on my sliders for a change of position, but it doesn't help the bind in my hips any. Thats the worst spot. Sitting back on the pillion helps some, and of course I swing my feet off the pegs, stretch them forward.....all the usual stuff.

To the cruiser comments :Flip:

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. I have highway pegs on FZ1.

GENII Highway Pegs - R1 Conversion - FZ1OA Message Board

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
This is something I also want to do with my FZ6 eventually.

I think this is what you're looking for:

SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards (Yamaha FZ6, '04-'09) - TwistedThrottle.com

You can buy the pegs on the same screen.

There was a set up for sale here a while back. I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: Couldn't find the link on brief search, but you might have better luck with a more thorough effort.

Last edited:

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
I am close to making some highway pegs for my FZ6. Essentially it would use the optional lower cowling. I had something mocked up last week but just havent had time to make it. I want something that can be invisible when not using it.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I am close to making some highway pegs for my FZ6. Essentially it would use the optional lower cowling. I had something mocked up last week but just havent had time to make it. I want something that can be invisible when not using it.
By lower cowling do you mean the full lower fairing you can buy like the one I have on my bike in my signature link?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have nice wide frame sliders and I just stretch my legs over them, rest my calves on them every so often and it helps a lot.

I bought a Victory touring cruiser as a second bike because I like long rides but hate how bad my knees hurt after 1,000 miles on the FZ6! Not to mention I now have the ability to carry 2X as much luggage as on the FZ6.

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the lower fairing around the headers was what I was thinking using to mount my system. I had a generic mock up that seemed like it will work well. I had to ditch my frame sliders cause they get in way of having your legs comfortably down to the highway pegs. Im still debating if Im going to try a quick release bar that mounts through the cowling or individual foot rests. I want something I can take off easily when not in use. The bars or foot rest actually have to extend out farther than I would like to be of use. I think I took pictures of my mock up ill try and post.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
The frame sliders work in a pinch but unfortunately get in the way of a proper highway peg solution. I'd like to do something, but I think it would need to be a swappable mod. No pegs with sliders for normal commuting/riding. No sliders with pegs for tour mode.

Sliders come off in a couple minutes. Now on to a quick-change peg...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The frame sliders work in a pinch but unfortunately get in the way of a proper highway peg solution. I'd like to do something, but I think it would need to be a swappable mod. No pegs with sliders for normal commuting/riding. No sliders with pegs for tour mode.

Sliders come off in a couple minutes. Now on to a quick-change peg...

If you figure out a way to install highway pegs in the same location I have mine on FZ1, they should work just fine with frame sliders (sliders will be very close to your shins, but won't be in the way).

xyyd.jpg

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I have, combined with the Sw-motech crash bars. The mounts are a bit blocky but the pegs rotate in notches and fold up. Make sure you locktite the bolts or they will come loose. The plating is a litttle shotty and I have a little corrosion starting after 2 years and about 12k miles. When folded up they do tend to mar the crash bars at the tip and when you bolt them on they will leave marks where it contacts.

Emgo Emgo Universal Deluxe Folding Foot Pegs - JCWhitney