For those who have done the R6S fork mod...

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
Are the spacers depicted in the Mastercam drawings of the correct dimensions?

I just scored a set of R6S forks, and have been reading everything I can find on the mod. In my reading, seems like I read that the spacers are actually a little too short. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

John

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I have a question myself, Is it possible to just put an entire front assembly on? Like forks, tree, clamps, wheel and brakes?? If so you wouldn't have to deal with spacers right? Just for the fender.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
John - I have the drawings and can email them to you Monday. At the ranch today, track tomorrow.

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Pete! Are they the Mastercam Design drawings with the blue background that are floating around?

John

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
John, I am 99% those are them, they are difficult to read, but you'll be able to figure them out.

One of the guys from SBN sent me the drawings. I have them on a jump drive somewhere.

I've noticed that the spacer drawing are often over tolleranced and you have have much more wiggle room than what they call for. When Fred made mine we did a lot of it by "feel". We began with a firm measurement and then applied "Kentucky Windage" to get it correct.

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed that the spacer drawing are often over tolleranced and you have have much more wiggle room than what they call for. When Fred made mine we did a lot of it by \"feel\". We began with a firm measurement and then applied \"Kentucky Windage\" to get it correct.

Pete,

Does overtolleranced mean that if I have the parts machined to the drawing specs that the shims are likely to be too short, too long, or just right?

Thanks,

John

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete,

Does overtolleranced mean that if I have the parts machined to the drawing specs that the shims are likely to be too short, too long, or just right?

Thanks,

John

Too specific, does that make sense? In otherwords, the specs are too tight, hundreds of an inch is probably fine, but the drawings are in thousands of an inch, so you actually have a little bit of wiggle room vs. specifically what the drawing calls for. If I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure I am as I'm trying to recall this, the tollerance is .002 + -.

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
OK. Cool.

Latest update. Sent US Postal money order off for the '08 R6S forks today. Took the drawings to my gunsmith who will make the bushings and brake caliper shims for me. They will be 416 Stainless, as he will be using stubs off the chamber end of rifle barrels for the material. Not sure on the final cost, but his estimate seemed very reasonable to me. Still working the mounting brackets for the fender, but think I have a line on those from the forum that shall remain nameless. Really excited about the project, and wonder how noticeable the difference will be to someone who has relatively little street experience (6K miles in the last 6 months), and no track experience.

John

Last edited:

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah until my friend gets to making them i just used stainless 2 m8 washers for the calipers and them 2 machine bushings per side of the axle what were a near perfect fit. when torqued together everything seems great. I took it up past 130kmh and still no wobbles and it tracks straight.

You will love them!