FOOD, favourite, recipes, local dishes.

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey - just an FYI for all you men out there... Guys that can cook are the sexiest thing ever! I try to pass this information on to all the guys I know... :Flash: Even if you can't cook "well", there's nothing more romantic than at least attempting to cook a dinner for your girlfriend/wife/whatever.

I'm just sayin'. :D

PS: What would you say is your country's most disgusting dish? I think here in Canada it would have to be seal-flipper pie... Only popular in Newfoundland, thank goodness. Although I can't say as I've tried it - maybe it's delicious! :(

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Whirly, I can scramble eggs. How does that rate??? :D

I think I'd pass on the seal flipper too. It may taste fine, but I don't think I could get past the thought of what I was eating.

In Colorado the big thing for the resturants to sell the Texan tourists (you have to understand that half of the State of Texas goes to Colorado for summer vaction and the annual ski trip) is "Rocky Mountain Oysters", bull testicales.

Never tried one, never plan to.

One of my favorite Texas meals, is Chicken Fried Steak, smoothered in Country Gravy (white cream gravy), fresh green beans with bacon, buttered carrots and corn bread with butter and honey. Yeah your arteries are clogged but it sure is good! :thumbup:

H

HavBlue

I'm a bbq nut but this is generally for those that come over on play days when we are out on the track. As far as food goes I can live on ice cream and the world doesn't have enough A&W Rootbeer stands to suit me.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Whirly, I might just be your kind... try this
Chicken breast (butterflied)
take some cream cheese, ranch or creamy italian dressing, and some shredded cheese (your favorite) and melt it in the microwave
Stuff the chicken with ^that
sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and bake @400f for around 20 mins.

This recipe is great because you can put anything inside (crab and cream cheese, spinach, even cream cheese with taco seasoning)

next: chicken breast again take some mayo and parmesean cheese mixed together spread over chicken and bake @ 400 for 20 mins so tender!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Hav this one's for you:
boneless country style spareribs
take a semi-deep baking dish and put about an inch of water in the bottom
layer ribs in water, brush with your favorite bbq sauce (not too sugary as it will burn)
cover with tin foil, and bake @ 300 for an hour, flip ribs, coat with more bbq sauce, recover, bake for another hour, flip again and re-coat w/bbq sauce, recover, bake another hour, then take off tin foil, flip, re-coat and bake for the final hour uncovered. I promise these will be some of the most tender ribs you have ever had!

if it is hard to understand, you are baking for four hours @ 300. the first three hours are covered and the fourth hour is uncovered.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
MadMan - STOP! It's 9:00 am and I'm hungry already! Those ribs sound great. So does the chicken thing.

Being a bacholor again I really need to learn to cook better than opening a can the putting the contents in the microwave.

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
MadMan - STOP! It's 9:00 am and I'm hungry already! Those ribs sound great. So does the chicken thing.

Being a bacholor again I really need to learn to cook better than opening a can the putting the contents in the microwave.

If you have an international food shop near you then this is the best, and easiest Chilli recipe, two of the ingredients are from the UK which is why you would need to find an international shop.

You need to buy a pack of Colemans Chilli Con Carne mix and a can of Heinz Baked Beans (have to be Heinz as US ones are just not the same and the high sugar content of US beans ruins the taste)

Then about a pound of ground sirloin.

Cook the Sirloin till brown, add the beans, Chilli mix and abut 2 cups water.

Then let that lot bubble away for about 1/2 hour, got to stir it of course.

Get some Cool Ranch Doritos, load them on a plate and put the chilli on top.

Have made it for quite a few US friends and they say it is the best Chilli the have tasted, and it's really easy to make.

Even better, there will be too much for you to eat in one go and the next day it tastes even better reheated!!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site

well that is how I learned to cook. I was tired of the d-fac (dining facility) food. try the rib recipe you'll have leftovers for days (that helps when you are a bachelor)

H

HavBlue

Hav this one's for you:
boneless country style spareribs
take a semi-deep baking dish and put about an inch of water in the bottom
layer ribs in water, brush with your favorite bbq sauce (not too sugary as it will burn)
cover with tin foil, and bake @ 300 for an hour, flip ribs, coat with more bbq sauce, recover, bake for another hour, flip again and re-coat w/bbq sauce, recover, bake another hour, then take off tin foil, flip, re-coat and bake for the final hour uncovered. I promise these will be some of the most tender ribs you have ever had!

if it is hard to understand, you are baking for four hours @ 300. the first three hours are covered and the fourth hour is uncovered.

Funny you should mention this Madman. I do something similar with a honey bbq sauce mix and then freeze it with veg and potato. Why? so when I get to the first overnight stop the meal is ready to go next to the fire and it is all in that nice little foil package. Makes for some great open road eating.

Awesome stuff....

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well that is how I learned to cook. I was tired of the d-fac (dining facility) food. try the rib recipe you'll have leftovers for days (that helps when you are a bachelor)

I hear you on the DFAC food, it gets old FAST!

In Iraq I was very lucky to be on Camp Libery and Camp Victory for my tour, and our missions were 2 to 8 hours so I ate in the DFAC, unlike the kids in the CoPs (Combat Out Posts) and the JSSs (Joint Security Stations). They were in bad guy land for 3 to 4 days, no showers, no sh*tters, no fresh water or fresh food. They did the MRE thing with bottled water. They would typically rotate platoons, one on the line, one on QRF (Quick Reaction Force) and one on a main base pulling maintence and "resting". So I can't really complain.

HOWEVER...we only had a one week menu, not the typical three week menu and you knew the day of the week by what was being served.

The joke went like this with our Brigade Commander, "Hey First Sergeant, I'm to lunch." What cha' haven' Sir? "Dunno, BBQ Beef I guess." Okay Sir. 30 minutes later he returns. "Hey First Sergeant don't get the Beef my stomach is KILLING me." Roger Sir, thanks for the IPB. (Intellegence Prep of the Battlefield) What did it taste like? "Egg rolls." Damn. The Command Sergeant Major says, "Top, let's skeet" Roger Sergeant Major! "What did the Colonel eat?" Beef Sergeant Major, tasted like egg rolls. "Damn." So we get to the DFAC. So ya got the Egg Rolls Sergeant Major? "Roger Top, they taste like Beef. How's your grilled ham and cheese?" Tastes like Egg Rolls Sergeant Major!

After 12 months it ALL tasted the same, the same damn grease, regardless of what you ordered. The first place I went when I got home was to Chuy's for a huge Fajita Beef Buritto, smoothered in Hatch Green Chilli sauce, and it DID NOT taste like egg rolls! I still had a high and tight and my head was covered in sweat, rolling down my face. I loved every burning second of it! :thumbup:

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you all feel good now, you made me feel like crap, I had no alternative but to get a burger from Wendy's and I am eating it while reading about good BBQ while the grease is sliding down.:mad:

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whirly, I might just be your kind... try this
Chicken breast (butterflied)
take some cream cheese, ranch or creamy italian dressing, and some shredded cheese (your favorite) and melt it in the microwave
Stuff the chicken with ^that
sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and bake @400f for around 20 mins.

This recipe is great because you can put anything inside (crab and cream cheese, spinach, even cream cheese with taco seasoning)

next: chicken breast again take some mayo and parmesean cheese mixed together spread over chicken and bake @ 400 for 20 mins so tender!

Now that's what I'm talking about! :rockon:

One of my favourites:
Take a pork roast,
Make a rub out of:
2 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt (only use the salt if you're marinating the roast overnight)

Put the rub on the roast, 450 deg for 15 mins
Pour about 1/2 cup of white wine over roast, reduce heat to 325 deg, and cook 'er till it's done (145-160 deg on the thermometer - don't overcook it). Baste along the way with more wine, or any juice at the bottom of the pan.

Insanely good.... :thumbup:

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
One of my specialties. I am part Greek, so Mediterranean food is in my blood.

Get a lamb shank. Bone it out then cut the meat up into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
Let it sit for a day in a mix of
2 Tbl spoon olive oil
1 cup Cooking burgundy wine
2 Tbl spn Balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
juice of a lemon
3 cloves minced garlic
black pepper to taste
3 Tbl spn dried onion
1 Tbl spn Rosemary, Thyme, and Sage each
A pinch of nutmeg (trust me)
1 teaspoon ground cloves (Really trust me)
and a teensy pinch of cumin (the smallest pinch you can do, its potent)

Grill over hard wood coals (grape wood works best, though kinda hard to get in most places). Cook slowly and turn often.

Stick them meat on skewers with large chunks of white onion, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the salad:

Sliced cucumbers, red onions, and tomatoes, in a mixture of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a bit of sugar.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make up some rice pilaf and eat with pita bread.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
A local favorite that is unheard of in most places would be the barbecued "Tri-Tip". If you are not located in the western U.S., ask for the sirloin tip roast.

Marinade for 24 hours in:

Half a bottle of your favorite inexpensive red wine (merlot or cabernet
sauvignon tastes best), red wine vinegar, garlic salt, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, diced onions, and a pinch of olive oil.

Grill over medium heat until done to your taste (DO NOT OVER COOK!), this is a large chunk of meat and will feed 4-5 people.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A local favorite that is unheard of in most places would be the barbecued "Tri-Tip". If you are not located in the western U.S., ask for the sirloin tip roast.

Marinade for 24 hours in:

Half a bottle of your favorite inexpensive red wine (merlot or cabernet
sauvignon tastes best), red wine vinegar, garlic salt, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, diced onions, and a pinch of olive oil.

Grill over medium heat until done to your taste (DO NOT OVER COOK!), this is a large chunk of meat and will feed 4-5 people.
I used to go TDY to central California a lot, they also called this "Santa Maria" BBQ. Good stuff, Maynard! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I watched a cooking show the other day, when a 'Celebrity Chef' made a burger from rump steak & stilton cheese served on olive oil griddled ciabttia bread. It looked so good I was drooling.

Next day I was out & about at lunch time & I passed a MacDonalds. Thoughts of the tasty succulent burger I had seen flashed through my mind, I just had to get me one.

Well, the expectation & the reality were not quite the same. A quarter pounder that had been nuked into submission, a bit of limp lettuce, a dollop of sauce that was mostly sugar served on a bap with no taste & greasy limp fries.

MacDonalds: Crap in a bap!

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been experimenting with Casserole's a lot recently (cheap / easy to make / pleantiful & tasty leftovers). Recently I've been toying with a spanish / southwest style.

I'll give the quick (caned) version. If you already know how to make some of the caned stuff by scratch - go for it.

1 Lbs ground turkey
1 Lbs ground beef
1 Medium onion
1 can black or refried beans
1 can enchilada sauce (10 oz)
1 can crem of chicken soup (10 oz)
3/4 c milk
1 can chopped green chilies (4 oz)
12-16 corn tortillas (depending on size)
1 to 3 T chili powder (to taste)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1 Lb grated cheddar or 'mexican blend'

Brown ground beef and onion. Add enchilada sauce, beans, chili powder, salt and pepper - mix & heat. Line a 3 or 4 quart casserole dish with tortillas (I like to cut them in 1/2, so I can put the "straight" edges out, and semi-circle inward). Layer in 1/2 meat sauce. Another layer of tortillas. Second 1/2 meat sauce. Another layer of tortillas. Mix soup, milk & green chilies; pour over second layer of tortillas. Layer grated cheese. Bake in pre-heated oven @ 350 for 25 Minutes.

You can substitute the beans for corn for a more southwest style. You can also go full ground beef, or full ground turkey. I just think 1/2 and 1/2 blend is a great balance between health (lower fat) & taste.