Fng

mk2wilson

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, figured I'd introduce myself. I'm not new to riding, but about to pick up my first FZ. The plan is to trade my 08 sportster for an 06 FZ6. I like the sportster, but it is time for something with a little more sport. One question, what kind of milage are you guys getting out of these motors before its time for a rebuild? I would quess these numbers would be pretty high, but wanted to find out for sure before I go through with this. The plan is to make the trade tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Josh

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
You could only hope to be lucky enough to wear an FZ6 engine out. Most likely, you'll sell or trade the FZ6 long before the engine is even showing signs of getting tired.

I hate to put a number on the useful life expectancy of a FZ6 motor, but I'd venture to say it's a minimum of 100,000 miles with proper care. Run good oil, don't exceed the oil change interval and keep after the valve adjustments.

If those things are done, the engine will almost surely run for a very long time.

mk2wilson

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. That is what I figured. I would quess and say valve adjustments are called for about every 20,000? Is that about right? I know this has probably already been discussed, but I didn't have much luck with the search function.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Without referencing my owners manual, I believe the valve check interval is around 24,000 miles.

Some folks on this site have done the valve check and found everything to be within spec. It's still a good idea to do the check anyway because it presents an opportunity to check the timing chain and sprockets for wear.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, welcome to the NFG! LOL...

FWIW...I have almost 45,000 miles on my bike and no valve adjustment yet:spank:
But for those who have done them, they have all been within specs.

Don't forget that you now have the search tab at your disposal since you have become a member.

mk2wilson

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I got it. It is like this thing is on rails compared to the sporster. I forgot what decent suspension was like. I've got to get used to riding a sportier bike again. I have had a couple cbr's and gsxr's, but it has been a while. There really isn't any comparison between the sportster and fz as far as ride quality goes. I will try to get some pics tomorrow and get them posted.