Flat tyre

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
Left home for work this morning and all was fine breaking, cornering no problems. Then after 5 miles while breaking for a slow sharp left bend the bike felt like the tyres made of jelly, and then I just could not get it to round the corner. After going straight on, on to a farm track (lucky no on coming cars) I found that my front valve was hanging off.
The person who had the bike before me had angle valves fitted, great for topping up the air but not sour they are right for a sports bike, the rubber at the base of the valve had split.
Anyway waited 2 1/2 hours for RAC flat bed in the rain, recovered back to home and was 3 1/2 hours late for work. Not the best end to a year but it could have been a lot worse.
Off now to look at thread about removing front wheel grrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Edit Just been looking at valves the ones that where fitted are the cheap snap fit type. I will invest in some proper angle valves with lock nut any suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited:

1/2%normal

Motorcycle Tech
Reaction score
Visit site
dont go with the angled. it can off balance the wheel and come apart at speed like you had the unfortunate event of having. just go to your local shop and ask for the metal valve stem or the good quality rubber ones. I think its about $6 were Im at for a good metal one.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
dont go with the angled. it can off balance the wheel and come apart at speed like you had the unfortunate event of having. just go to your local shop and ask for the metal valve stem or the good quality rubber ones. I think its about $6 were Im at for a good metal one.

+1 on the regular straight up rubber ones, IMHO....

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
Well a week later and I am back on the road. It was Wednesday before I got chance to look at the bike. Went out to get a 19mm hex key socket only to find that 17mm is the largest stocked singly to get 19mm I needed to buy a set at £38, that was not going to happen.
I did buy a bolt with a 19mm head, I ground two flats on it, fitted vice grips and pulled. Result twisted bolt:(. The shop must have used an air tool to tighten the axle after a tyre change ( note to self find a shop that knows what torque means).
Any way I now have a new tool under the seat ( ebay £8) it's a 19mm hex key socket so next time this happens the RAC can remove the wheel get it fixed and put it back on all with in the hour.
Lesson learned cheap valves + cheap shop = no bike for a week:(

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Grouse,

Any chance you can find a pic of the valve you had a problem with so we know what to avoid? Those weren't the Ariete valves were they? That's what I've got and do far I've had no problems. Thanks!

slowboyracing

Up on one wheel!
Vendor
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a lot of misrepresented facts posted here.

How old was the angled valve which was installed on the front wheel?

You will need to balance your wheel every time you change a tire, so adding angled valve will no unbalance your wheel, since you will have to properly balance it after fitting the valve stems.

A high quality angled valve will weight less than a stock rubber valve stem. They are used on many race bikes on MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, Moto2/3 and now CRT's.

There are quite a high number of knock off Chinese valve stems on the market now a days so you have to be careful when buying angled valves.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Was going to put the angled one on when had the last tyre mounted. Cycle Gear said the rim was not right for an angled one and would not put them on. Angled would be easier to air up but as slowboyracing says would need to get the correct good ones which would be $$.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a lot of misrepresented facts posted here.

How old was the angled valve which was installed on the front wheel?

You will need to balance your wheel every time you change a tire, so adding angled valve will no unbalance your wheel, since you will have to properly balance it after fitting the valve stems.

A high quality angled valve will weight less than a stock rubber valve stem. They are used on many race bikes on MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, Moto2/3 and now CRT's.

There are quite a high number of knock off Chinese valve stems on the market now a days so you have to be careful when buying angled valves.

Aren't they on sale for like 19 bucks right now?
I love mine!

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mikw73 this is the type, cheap snap-in. I have now had them replaced with all brass upright that have a nut on the inside to clamp it to the rim. They are bit overkill as they are ment for 7ton lorrys but I got them free from a mate and like said once the wheel is ballanced all is good.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Grouse! I feel safer already. The ones I've got look, feel and felt solid being installed. (Same as the ones currently on sale for $19.) Just wanted to make sure.