Flat Luggage Mount for Givi Top Box base?

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have emailed Givi about this question, but I think I already know the answer from them. No - Givi doesnt have a way to take my generic FZ Monokey mount and make it usable for carying stuff.

All I really want is a place to tie items down to when I dont have the top box on. The plate I have just isnt wide enough or flat enough to be used for much.

Does anyone know of a solution that would work (note I have side bags that stay on all the time) to either use the givi locking mechanism and have a flat cargo area or replace the OEM mount with one that will work for both my top box and be flat enough for cargo?

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Here it is in it's current state:

8043450029_5070502f10_c.jpg

I don't know why you couldn't just mount the top box mount to the top of the plate...It would just give some extra room on the sides to hold up a bag. Sure, totally flat would be nice, but...

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here it is in it's current state:

I don't know why you couldn't just mount the top box mount to the top of the plate...It would just give some extra room on the sides to hold up a bag. Sure, totally flat would be nice, but...

Thanks for posting the pic! This is exactly what I was looking to do. I basically just need a nice size piece of aluminum and bolt it up as you did. Great idea!

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting the pic! This is exactly what I was looking to do. I basically just need a nice size piece of aluminum and bolt it up as you did. Great idea!

Check your local hardware store or cheap tool store, like harbor freight for a drywall hawk. That's what it is. It comes with nice smooth finish and nicely curved edges.

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a flat rack and used a GIVI lug kit (about $9) and mounted the mushroom bolts and pyramid clamp to it. voila, a flat rack when you need it and a GIVI plate when you want to toss the box on.

doc%2520riverz%2520on%2520ADV%2520790921-M-1.jpg

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you find the flat rack?

I've got a bunch of those. Those were made by a company called Motorcycle Expedition Outfitters and sold through Touring Trends and CBT Imports. They haven't been made in probably 10 years so I snagged a few just before the company shut it's doors.

Had one on each bike and kept em when I sold off the other bikes. Might have one extra left if you need, predrilled for the lug kit..

But you can use any flat rack. I'll probably use my Cycle Guys fast rack on the FZ (with GIVI lug kit).

TIP DO NOT USE THE SW MOTECH GIVI LUG KIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use the actual GIVI lug kit, the SW MOTECH kits mushroom bolts are not mushroom shaped but rather conical, they do not hold as firmly. Thankfully the case than went tumbling down the highway was a JC Whitney knockoff that I modified to fit a GIVI rack. But it may have had something to do with the 60lbs of tile I had in it......:D

Losing 60lbs off the side while the 60lbs on the other forces you into a 35 degree lean in NYC traffic will pucker you up faster than anything.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
What's up Eddie. that's a pretty sweet setup.

You could replace the Givi M5 which probably came with your rack with a Givi E250, get a little larger/flatter area.

M5
medscaleGivi-M5-Monokey-Plate.jpg

E250
medscaleGivi-E250-Plate-1.jpg

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
What's up Eddie. that's a pretty sweet setup.

You could replace the Givi M5 which probably came with your rack with a Givi E250, get a little larger/flatter area.

M5
medscaleGivi-M5-Monokey-Plate.jpg

E250
medscaleGivi-E250-Plate-1.jpg

Actually I did not get the GIVI rack, found it to be ugly on the FZ so I got a Shad rack and have a couple spare E250 plates lying around. I'll probably mount that up today since I can't find my TOTL rack with GIVI lug kit.

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
How much to 46250? I also wonder how well it will mount to my givi bars.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Do you have the GIVI mount with the silver round things on the end of the arms with a flat top and two holes? If so a flat rack would mount fine, I had the same setup on my Hawk.

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
If the monorack arms look like this with the flat section and mount hole on top then yes, you can bolt a flat plate to that.

M3_M35_Plate_size2_detail.JPG