FJ-09; A most certain replacement for my FZ6

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with the bike. I was hoping for a Ninja 1000 or Honda Interceptor type bike with full/half fairings. Or better yet, an FZ6 with the triple. It looks like they just slapped on some handguards, ugly windscreen, rearseat handholds and a feeble attempt at some fairings on an FZ-09 and called it good. I have been looking at a Ninja 1000 as my next bike but have been waiting for this bike to come out to see what it looked like as I prefer Yamaha's but I guess I will have to go with the Kawi.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
it looks ok, i guess. i am not a big fan of the FZ09's styling and was hoping this bike would "hide" some of it. it doesn't seem to much, however. seems Yamaha has gone with more of a quasi adventure bike look for both "9" trims and it leaves me sort of cold. is it an "adventure sport tourer?" who knows? but yes, something a bit more "touring" would have been nice. i saw a regular 'ol FZ09 on another forum a rider tricked out well with a windscreen, luggage, and some other riding accessories. it looks just as well as this imo....and is easily reversible. this isn't

i like it fine, i suppose. just not a big fan of its styling, same as the bike underneath it. maybe some different and contrasting colors will help it along for me?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Needs a bigger tank. Both the the MT09 and 07 have got itty bitty little fuel tanks for their thirst. They've stuck the same sized tank on this "touring" version. I'll stick with the FZ6.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the way it looks. Little more adventure-ish with that wider gap between the head fairing and front fender.
and, IS THAT A PICTURE OF ONE WITH A FASTER RED PAINT JOB!!! I LOVE IT!!!

Everyone always gripes about the suspension on these things too (as well as the fz6), But really, for the riding that I do, I appreciate a bike that doesnt rattle your teeth out! The biggest complainer is one of my friends (with his supertuned r6, big$ in suspension parts, etc, etc, thats never seen a track and has more chicken strip than acutal worn tire.. any way, I digress. He complains that the FZ6 is a gushy pile of crap, but when I ride his bike it feels like it rattles my brain out, whats left of it anyway..

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why are they making me beg for a big windscreen / front fairing? My ideal bike right now has about 45 ft-lbs of torque, at least 80 horsepower, and enough fairings / windscreen to take the wind out of interstate riding.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Why are they making me beg for a big windscreen / front fairing? My ideal bike right now has about 45 ft-lbs of torque, at least 80 horsepower, and enough fairings / windscreen to take the wind out of interstate riding.

So you want a harley road glide? :D

This space intentionally left blank.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Needs a bigger tank. Both the the MT09 and 07 have got itty bitty little fuel tanks for their thirst. They've stuck the same sized tank on this "touring" version. I'll stick with the FZ6.

But the FZ-07 at least gets 250+ miles per tank (58mpg estimated).

I hope the actual FJ-09 will have a more substantial fairing and windscreen and an option for hard luggage accessories.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Not according to people using them. 150 maximum, and that's pushing the reserve limit. The 09 is even worse.

150 on the 07 is horrible for a bike with 75 hp. That's like mid 30's mpg. My FZ6 gets 45 combined and 50 on highway.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
150 on the 07 is horrible for a bike with 75 hp. That's like mid 30's mpg. My FZ6 gets 45 combined and 50 on highway.

What speed are you doing on the highway to get 50mpg? I never saw 50mpg with stock gearing, but then my nominal freeway speed is 80.

Looks wise, this bike is a bit lacking. I would rather have the Honda CB1000R.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Not according to people using them. 150 maximum, and that's pushing the reserve limit. The 09 is even worse.

I can get 150 miles out a tank on my FZ09 but I need to milk it, sort of impossible on that bike [emoji12] Mostly 140 before it hit the reserve. Exhaust, aibox and fuel controller and still hit 45 MPG. I could get better with the DBKiller installed. Bone stock you can get 47 MPG easy.

I would think with proper wind protection and less drag the FJ could push 50 MPG.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stop complaining, all of you!! I'm happy with I get anything over 35mpg out of my FZ1 :(

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
130 out of mine. Still better than everything else I have. So I don't care when a fill up cot 10$
I'm pushing nearly 200 miles a tank on the FZ6, if I push it to the gurgle, gurgle, splutter, pop, shhhhhhh...... happens, cruising at 80, and pushing it beyond triple digits on the days that I'm late. And seeing as I'm not paying 45p a litre like you guys, economy is important.

If I switched to the 09/07 I'd have to fuel every day for commuting, and longer trips would be a nightmare of pinging from fuel up to fuel up.

It really is a shame as the 07, and slightly less so the new 09 look like my kinda bikes (for commuting and touring respectively), I just can't get over that little tiny tank.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
What speed are you doing on the highway to get 50mpg? I never saw 50mpg with stock gearing, but then my nominal freeway speed is 80.

Looks wise, this bike is a bit lacking. I would rather have the Honda CB1000R.

I get pretty much the same. Highway speeds of 70 - 105. Average about 85/90 mph. Stock intake, stock exhaust. I usually put about 170 on the tank before I fill up.

And the CB1000R is saxy.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont like the look much, looks too much like a dual sport to me.

For the record, my xjr gets gets 300k's per tank at around 6.5lt per 100k's.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pushing nearly 200 miles a tank on the FZ6, if I push it to the gurgle, gurgle, splutter, pop, shhhhhhh...... happens, cruising at 80, and pushing it beyond triple digits on the days that I'm late. And seeing as I'm not paying 45p a litre like you guys, economy is important.

If I switched to the 09/07 I'd have to fuel every day for commuting, and longer trips would be a nightmare of pinging from fuel up to fuel up.

It really is a shame as the 07, and slightly less so the new 09 look like my kinda bikes (for commuting and touring respectively), I just can't get over that little tiny tank.
There was someone who mention on the FZ07 forum that he put 210 miles on his bike until it ran out of gas. That's still 60 US/MPG or so! Doesn't get much better than that. I rode one around for a week. Nice little bike for commuting. Its like a extra light FZ6R with a better mid range. I might trade in the 6R for a 07 next year... should fit the wife much better and I can use it for my daily work commute.