Fixing the buell headlight projector problem

ny08r6

Reaction score
Visit site
so my gf just picked up a used streetfighter headlight with buell xb9 projectors installed. Upon noticing the lights were uncommonly dim I opened it up to find the reflector metal surrounding the h3 bulb was all black. Being as I'm broke and cannot afford new headlights, I was wondering if these were options:

1. buy some 3m reflective foil tape and coat the inside of the reflector with it, then maybe clearcoat it with high temp rattlecan clear
2. spraypaint it high temp gloss white/grey then clearcoat with high temp clear.
3. maybe powdercoat it with the chrome knockoff since I have the parts to do it and the heat should never get hot enough to remelt the powder (thats assuming the material will hold up to the 400 degree treatment)

both should come out to under $20 options, and chrome dipping isn't available in the area for cheap. Which do you think would be the best option to avoid a burning/fire in the housing and still put out a normalish amount of reflected light?

thanks guys, i'll enclose a pic of the headlights to show you what I am working with, I"ll prolly just hit the top (highbeam) with whatever you guys think is best just to test it out and be able to turn it off if I start seeing problems

26230_380005872105_564702105_3922793_1902257_n.jpg

26230_380005852105_564702105_3922790_2870133_n.jpg

^you can see how the outside is starting to burn because of the heat output due to it not being reflected as well!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
As no one has taken a stab at this...... can you get some high temp silver spray paint, take apart the housing and paint them? I wouldn't go the route of using foil tape.... the glue on that stuff isn't all that sticky.

Don't bother with a clear coat.

Any chance you can convert the projectors to use HID bulbs? More spendy, but less heat, and lots more light......