First time going this fast

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I just wanted to post this. Last night on NJ Parkway heading North, going home around 10pm or so, beautifull night, clear roads and almost no traffic. In the mid lane cruosing around 80MPH, and in my rear view mirror I see one headlight coming up really fast. I truns out that the it was CBR600RR behind me. He slows down right where he gets next to me and cruises with me at 80MPH.
Well I looked over and I see him giving me a sight to kind of race. So he drops to 5th gear and I do the same and then we both take off. We are literally neck to neck. Almost the same speed we are going and no one is ahead... I noticed I am going kind of fast, really fast. I did not want to look down at my speed due serios concentration ahead.
Well I do look down for a split second and boy my eyes almost poped out of my socket. I WAS GOING 151 MPH. Right away as soon as seen this I slowed down, and so did he. It was a thrill I have never experience before. Like being reborn again or something. What a rush.
Well I just want to post this just to see of how may riders came this close or even more. I have only been riding now for 5 months. Nothing to be proud of, but when ever I go riding I try to be the best I can be. I always try to do something different. I have been training my self now to go half way knee drag, and it does make it a whole lot more fun at the turns. I really need to change my stock tires tho. Maybe next season.
Well thanks for reading...:cheer:

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I was ready to pee in my pants when I hit 125 in my car. Hitting 151 on a bike at 10pm is not very smart.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to be a buzzkill, but I don't know dude. You've been riding for 5 months. A 10pm coyote running across the road, pothole, debris, car changing lanes, or anything out of the ordinary and I doubt your limited experience would help much at that speed.

You mention wanting to be the best. That's great (really). But most of the folks around here probably don't classify top speed on a straight public roadway one of the criteria.

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
:shakehead: That is why I ride alone. You have only been riding 5 months, don't get ahead of yourself, you aren't Nicky Haden yet. Take it easy out there and use better judgment on the road if you want to be riding (and ALIVE) much longer. You are not --nor will you ever be-- invincible.

I really hope you were at least wearing full gear.

Mspruyt

Reaction score
Visit site
What exit:Flash:

80 on the GSP is plenty fast. Cops everywhere!! I do 50 miles each way on it every day. Too many cars at any time of day or night. But it is fun to let loose every once in a while.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Indicated 151 is about 135mph.

The CBR could have eaten you alive, just FYI.

Now CBR1000RR would eaten me alive not the 600RR. Maybe ahead of me a little but eaten...LOL. Were were neck to neck. I guess PCIII and two brothers exhaust did something then. Made me side by side. That was a one time deal. Never again will I do this .... EVERRRRR...

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Now CBR1000RR would eaten me alive not the 600RR. Maybe ahead of me a little but eaten...LOL. Were were neck to neck. I guess PCIII and two brothers exhaust did something then. Made me side by side. That was a one time deal. Never again will I do this .... EVERRRRR...

Hate to break it to ya, but the PCIII and cans gave you maybe 5 hp, if that.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
:shakehead: That is why I ride alone. You have only been riding 5 months, don't get ahead of yourself, you aren't Nicky Haden yet. Take it easy out there and use better judgment on the road if you want to be riding (and ALIVE) much longer. You are not --nor will you ever be-- invincible.

I really hope you were at least wearing full gear.

You are 100% right. I am so against of what I did but thank god everything turned out to be OK. Max on the highway I go is 80-90MPH and once before I pushed it to 115 on the straight way by my self. I always wear full gear all the time. Even if its just down a street.
In jersey here I have been taking lots of twisties and making my skill go up, and I always try to make smooth transitions in my riding. But 151 is not smooth or cool. I can say I did, but do I feel proud of...Hells no.
And I really do appreciate these comments beacause it make me feel stupid once I did it, and now reading people responses it makes more sence. What can I say I love riding but riding that fast on public road is not cool. ;)

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
What exit:Flash:

80 on the GSP is plenty fast. Cops everywhere!! I do 50 miles each way on it every day. Too many cars at any time of day or night. But it is fun to let loose every once in a while.

It was on 138 north bound. No cops tho, and no traffic. Perfect night.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Indicated 151 is about 135mph.

The CBR could have eaten you alive, just FYI.

so this explains why after getting my speedohealer set up I really can't find enough "track" to hit 150... maybe the 05 is faster than the 04??

as for the cbr I don't mean to argue but I have never ridden on or with one so I have been courious as well... maybe youtube as a fz/cbr vid... Is this do to a gearing or engine difference?

Hate to break it to ya, but the PCIII and cans gave you maybe 5 hp, if that.

I think you missed something... The '05 has a reflective yamaha sticker on the swing arm that adds about 75 hp to the ground :)

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
so this explains why after getting my speedohealer set up I really can't find enough \"track\" to hit 150... maybe the 05 is faster than the 04??

Yup. And now your odometer is off if your speedometer is correct.

as for the cbr I don't mean to argue but I have never ridden on or with one so I have been courious as well... maybe youtube as a fz/cbr vid... Is this do to a gearing or engine difference?

Engine differences. CBR is putting out more power, has different gearing, and lighter.

I think you missed something... The '05 has a reflective yamaha sticker on the swing arm that adds about 75 hp to the ground :)

That's GOTTA be it!

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
so this explains why after getting my speedohealer set up I really can't find enough \"track\" to hit 150... maybe the 05 is faster than the 04??

LOL...I like that sticker tho...Can I buy this one too to add 75 HP.:Flash:
All I know is this. Two of my boys have, a CBR600RR and another Hayabusa 1300. I riden all of them. CBR is quick and responsive but to me it kind of lack a mid power range then my FZ6. I feel like it has a little more pick up but greather top end. As for Hayabusa, well can nowhere near compare the power. Its kind of bulky but it handles great. My next bike in two seasons will be either Ducati 848 or Yamaha R1.
Any suggestions people on the two?

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Staticghost, We can't really touch the CBR (600 or 1000). The FZ cannot outperform an SS bike. It's more friendly to rider but not faster. See this video or search for any 600ss video on youtube. Last time I checked my FZ couldn't stay close to 600ss bikes after 180kmh (112mph)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6deneAdGS8"]YouTube - CBR 600 RR Top Speed[/ame]

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
EDIT: Doublepost

Wow really. But when I go riding with my friends with 600 I am the one most of the time in the lead. We take lots of twisties, and they have been riding longer by two seasons then me. I guess I take the curves faster then them, and when we rip it on the straight away we are preety close to each other. Now when my boy come thru with his Hayabusa, we eat his dust all the time. He has been riding for now for 10 yrs and that guys can ride I tell ya. I wathch him take the twisties, then I try to follow his example, then we pull over and discuss or riding abilitities and try to perfect them with in the conversation, then we take it back on the road. I really want to hit up a track tho. I heard this is where u get really good at it.
All and all, if you ask me its not the bike, its the rider...:thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One comment: You mention full gear. At THAT speed, gear really doesn't matter. Gear is meant to protect you "at speed" in a crash, not excessive speed. Please don't get a false sense of security from full gear in a squidly state of mind. ;)

Now... for the next bike, if you can stand the ergos? R1 all the way! Git 'R Dun!!!

You've tasted that speed so leave it be. Keep it sensible and safe from here on out. Please don't let us read about you in a newspaper article, ok? :thumbup:

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
One comment: You mention full gear. At THAT speed, gear really doesn't matter. Gear is meant to protect you \"at speed\" in a crash, not excessive speed. Please don't get a false sense of security from full gear in a squidly state of mind. ;)

Now... for the next bike, if you can stand the ergos? R1 all the way! Git 'R Dun!!!

You've tasted that speed so leave it be. Keep it sensible and safe from here on out. Please don't let us read about you in a newspaper article, ok? :thumbup:

LOL....no problem. Oh believe me I was scarred after the ride tho. And no gear will save your behind at that speed. So R1 I see. Yeah... I love the way that bike looks and sounds. I heard that ducati cost arm a leg on parts and labor. Yeah...I will never go that fast again, trust me.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
everyone has done something fun, some do stunts and others like speed. Don't get me wrong there is a time and place on where that type of speed should be. BUT, everyone has pushed it a little, ounce the adrenaline kicks in you go into tunnel vision and just go. Now, i use to live in NY and have driven down the GSP north or south, There are a few places that you can easily open it up. When i drove from here in FL going to NY i had opened it up and twisted as far as it will go and i was going 154 MPH(i know stupid). For some reason you get that erg. If we take our bike the the track (1/4 mile) you wont get to the max speed. I do agree that after on months, you shouldn't be doing it cause you need a lot more riding time under your belt. The biggest thing is " BE SAFE AND NOT STUPID".