First start of season attempt- won't idle

ffjrc91065

Ex- XLH rider
Reaction score
Visit site
O.K., wizards, here's the symptom(s)

Bike Starts and runs, but at a lower RPM than should be for "cold", then, RPM's drop slowly until it stalls. I can do this repeatedly, if I turn the key off and on again (3-4 second pump run) Any attemp to open the throttle causes imediate stalling. Fuel pump is running, don't have a presure gage, but seems to be putting out a good stream. all 4 header pipes are warm. (all firing)

Background- This is the first start attemp after the winter here. The tank was replaced, during the winter, so it sat without fuel for some time. put in a few gallons and now the symptoms described above. I started it at end of Dec. with no issues. Put battery on charger for a few hours in Feb. Batt O.K. Good Volts.

Any ideas?

ffjrc91065

Ex- XLH rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. My Battery charger has a load test position, which I used and measured Volts with a known good Digital multi meter. I am convincved the Battery is good, connections are clean also. The fuel line is a very short piece, which I can see appears to be O.K. It "acts" like a fuel starvation problem to me though....

ffjrc91065

Ex- XLH rider
Reaction score
Visit site
May have answer today, found posts from 3 separate R-1 owners with similar symptoms, all caused by o-ring in between fuel pump halves being improperly positioned causing loss of pump pressure. Will investigate today and post results.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds like a possibility. If you let your fuel pump sit dry over the winter, it's possible that the o-ring dried out and isn't sealing properly.

ffjrc91065

Ex- XLH rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Problem solved! The O-ring was the culprit! lubricated o-ring and mating surfaces with very light coating of Vaseline to ease assembly. Fired right up! Now on to standard pre season checks!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
May have answer today, found posts from 3 separate R-1 owners with similar symptoms, all caused by o-ring in between fuel pump halves being improperly positioned causing loss of pump pressure. Will investigate today and post results.

Not sure why but my first instinct is to say not likely. . . .
At idel, the fuel demand is low. If it had low pressure, it would more like stumble and be a misfit throughout the entire range as the fuel demand goes up.

Just thought and I'm sure there are many o-rings that could be suspect. . ..

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure why but my first instinct is to say not likely. . . .
At idel, the fuel demand is low. If it had low pressure, it would more like stumble and be a misfit throughout the entire range as the fuel demand goes up.

Just thought and I'm sure there are many o-rings that could be suspect. . ..

Well, he tended to that o-ring, and everything works now, so I'd say that it was something with it.