First Group ride/Poker Run!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I work on an Air Force base, and the DOD has implemented a "Wingman Day" once every 3 months: half a day where your office/organization gets out of the office just to do something fun together. This is in response to the spike in suicides caused by the "war on terror".

Anyway, the Directorate I work for split up into several different activities today; I chose the Fall Leaves/Poker Run, and it was my first-ever group ride. About a dozen motorcyclists (eleven Harleys and an FZ-6), and 5 cars, met in a parking lot just outside the gate, and headed for the hills. There were five stops; we'd regroup, make sure everyone was comfortable, each draw a card, and then ride en-masse to the next stopping point. We also had a "Bug Splat" contest: everyone received a bulls-eye target that they could tape to their vehicle in the position of their choosing; whoever had a bug splat closest to the bullseye won.

The autumn leaves were past their prime (peak color was about two weeks ago) but it was a warm and beautiful day, excellent riding weather. I also mounted my video camera to my gas tank, and everyone is excited to see the video next week (dang, I'm going to have to learn iMovie this weekend, and do some editing!)

Riding in a group is a hoot, I really enjoyed it! Got to meet a few folks in the Directorate I didn't know, that was cool. One guy was all excited at one of the stops, a bug his his bullseye dead-center; a gal walked over and yelled, "That's not a bug! That's a booger! You wiped one of your boogers on the target!!!" :D :D :D :D :D (my target was squeaky-clean at the end of the ride, as was my Fizzer; not a single bug splat).

My video battery ran out halfway thru the last run (of course, the most scenic part) but I got some good footage regardless. To top the day off, I won the poker contest! $50 gift certificate for the Texas Roadhouse steak place! (damn, now I gotta get a date or something)

Great way to spend an afternoon, that's for sure! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a great time.....are you gonna post your video here?

BTW: what does I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S. stand for???? (sorry for being nosey, it's a girl thing)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW: what does I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S. stand for???? (sorry for being nosey, it's a girl thing)
I'm an Ammo troop in the Air Force Reserves, and our "call" is:

"Always remember and never forget,
If You Ain't Ammo You Ain't ****!
AMMMMOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Hoooaaaahhh!!

(it's a guy thing.... ;) :D )

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the win! I've been on a couple poker runs, usually a good time, better when you win. You should post your video up here too, after you learn iMovie of course :thumbup: