First Gear Issue

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all... Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, or if I am just doing something wrong.

Sometimes when rolling to a stop in a higher gear (say third or fourth) with the clutch in I have trouble getting the bike to shift into first once I'm completely stopped. I can get the bike down to neutral no problem, but it just doesn't seem to want to drop down to first. I have no issue getting into first if the bike is moving.ie.-downshifting to first before coming to a stop. The only way I seem to be able to get it into first after experiencing this is to upshift to second, clutch out a little then try again. Usually this will do the trick.

Could this be a mechanical problem I need to have checked out? Am I missing something?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont have this issue with my FZ, but I did experience this sometimes with my old Ninja. Try rolling the bike forward a little when you want to shift down to first. I found with my old Ninja that if the bike was rolling and the gears in the tranny were moving just a little, it would usually click into first without issue.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I've had the same thing happen, easiest way is to avoid being in a higher gear when coming to a stop but I you can't then once it's in neutral, pull the clutch in and out several times, it will free it up and you can go back into first buttery smooh

seoulski

Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
solarservant,

Prior to coming to a stop you need to progressively shift to the lower gears.

You don't want to be in the habit of stopping in 3rd or 4th then trying to shift to 1st. BTW have you taken the MSF course? I'm sure if would be very helpful.:welcome:

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
Common issue... happens a lot for guys (like me) who dont use engine braking at all when coming to a stop... and not just on the FZ6...

I try to get into first before the bike stops but when it happens, pull in the clutch, keep slight downward pressure on the gear shift and SLOWLY let the clutch out a bit. Gear will slot; pull the clutch in again and ur good to go...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted above, what the bike is doing is normal, you just need to down shift as your lower speed permits. Should you be fully stopped, let the clutch out a little, move just a tad, then it'll downshift again..

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Freakin' awesome!

Appreciate all the replies here. Experimented a lot with this on my ride home (at the many lights in Tucson). All of your solutions seem to work. I am downshifting through the gears as I roll to a stop, and I can always get the bike into first when rolling no problem.

I have found that the easiest way to cure this issue when it happens is to pump the clutch a few times while in neutral. Gets the gearbox rotating enough to slot the gear? Works every time. :thumbup: