First bike, just made a deposit. Is it good? (pics included)

Take the time and by one in the USA, with our strong dollar and the cheaper bikes you will be ahead. Its easy to do.

Here is one that is not too far from you - A 2008 $4500 USD asking.

2008 Yamaha FZ6

Or a 2009 asking $5300.00

2009 Yamaha FZ6

A red 2007 asking 4100.00

2007 yamaha FZ6

Very nice prices indeed! Only one flaw---I'm a beginner rider, and I wouldn't venture on the highway even for just one exit, let alone to deal with crossing borders, riding for hundreds of miles, etc....

Simple frame slider would have prevented that scuff on frame no? I dropped mine and the slider save it from any damage on the bike, just scuffed the slider, repainted, no evidence.

Bought my 07 with 2,000 miles for $3,000.00.... move on and keep looking...

:welcome:

jeff

Very nice prices indeed! Only one flaw---I'm a beginner rider, and I wouldn't venture on the highway even for just one exit, let alone to deal with crossing borders, riding for hundreds of miles, etc....

Get a friend with a pickup truck or trailer and haul it back, no need to ride it back.

I ordered frame sliders for the FZ6. Part of the reason why I'm still so desperately refusing to abandon this bike is that there aren't many FZ6-s for sale in 100 mile radius around me. There are a lot of R6, other 600rr, but not FZ6. And I really don't want to miss the season waiting for one to appear for sale..let alone that I will be probably facing the same or different suspicions..

I'm going to the dealership on Saturday. I will go over this thread before that, and make a list of all the things you guys mention that I should look at and consider when making my final decision.

Until then---I only wish these 2 work days will pass quicker!

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

Its definitly been down.... Put it on the center stand and sit on with the handlebars straight. Look down the center. If it went down hard, the main fairing support will be bent, ie, one side will be higher than the other... That support is better tha $150 ,NOT INSTALLED...

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but can somebody explain to me which part exactly is the "main fairing support"? (when search doesn't help, I won't learn without asking)

As for your deposite, did they disclose all the damage and that its not street legal to ride as it sits??? Bet not... Nothing a threat with small claims court can't fix if it came down to that..

Actually, they said that the bikes are first shown without fixing them. Not that I have made the deposit, it is supposedly going to go into service and make it street legal, safe, etc... I'll make sure I point out this weekend the things that must be fixed as a minimum I guess.. Thanks!

Sounds like you are in a big hurry to ride and have your mind stuck on this bike. I would take a few breathes and chill. Don't rush into it. Take your time and you can get a better deal on a bike with no damage. 6k for a 2007 fz6 with any sort of frame damage is WAY too much. Take more time. My insurance company would have called that bike a total loss and sold it for less than 1500 bucks.

My buddy bought his FZ6 in Seattle as did I . He had no experience first bike ever. He picked it up with a pickup truck and brought it home to Kamloops BC. In fact we brought both bikes back in the same truck.

By the way he has been riding for 3 years now and has not dropped it, and he rides it daily to/from work

The bikes on pickup day.
fz62007%20001%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered frame sliders for the FZ6. Part of the reason why I'm still so desperately refusing to abandon this bike is that there aren't many FZ6-s for sale in 100 mile radius around me. There are a lot of R6, other 600rr, but not FZ6. And I really don't want to miss the season waiting for one to appear for sale..let alone that I will be probably facing the same or different suspicions..

I'm going to the dealership on Saturday. I will go over this thread before that, and make a list of all the things you guys mention that I should look at and consider when making my final decision.

Until then---I only wish these 2 work days will pass quicker!

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

I feel like your priorities are off. For one, 100 km drive is nothing. I do that almost every day for work. I drove 4 hours to get my fz6, and I would have gone further. A good deal on a safe/reliable bike should be worth the time. It sounds like even if the bike were flawless, the price isn't THAT good... and it isn't flawless, by any means.

I 100% guarantee within a few weeks of owning that bike, you will regret it. I have made impulse buys before on things I had my mind set on, and always, always regret it. Things that are clearly obvious seem to fade away when you have that fire in your eyes. So, take a step back, do some more searching, and I promise the right bike will appear. It always does.

Good luck.

Also, highway riding is less scary than you would think. The very, very first bike I ever sat on I drove home 2 hours on the highway after I bought it. I had to have the guy explain every single control because I had no clue. I never felt uneasy on the trip back.

Funny thing, though... Is that it was a huge regret later. I did limited research, thought that was the only bike in the area I could like, and paid too much. You live and learn, right? I just wouldn't want you to make the same mistake.

The main fairing stay is a fairly large bracket that bolts (2) to the very front of the main frame (see below pictures). It supports the entire front fairing/windshield etc. If tweeked, the fairing will be lop sided. If not bent real bad it won't hurt anything but resale value and for me, bother the crap out of me looking at a crooked gauge package, fairing, etc. If bent, either have them replace it or knock off the cost and labor to replace it...

I'd seriously have a mechanic look at it closely...

As for you dropping it, I wouldn't necessarily bank on it, just pay attention to what you doing and take your time.

**The biggest problem you'll have is the short clutch engaugment zone. You'll stall it a couple of times starting and after that, should be ok with it.. There are numerous threads on it and a fix for a bout $50.00 by a fellow member(extending the clutch arm and clutch cable mount).

Last edited:
The main fairing stay is a fairly large bracket that bolts (2) to the very front of the main frame (see below pictures). It supports the entire front fairing/windshield etc. If tweeked, the fairing will be lop sided. If not bent real bad it won't hurt anything but resale value and for me, bother the crap out of me looking at a crooked gauge package, fairing, etc. If bent, either have them replace it or knock off the cost and labor to replace it...

Looking at the two pictures, where the bike is seen from the back (reposting the pics here)---it seems that there is quite a bit of gap between the fairing and the gas tank on the right as opposed to the view from the left side. Is it an optical illusion? Or maybe it is supposed to be like that when the wheel is turned to the side? Or does it seem like a conclusive indication that the main fairing support is bent?

5.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
welcome to the forum... :welcome:

honestly, trying to judge the bike condition by pictures is not the greatest way to go.. it looks like there are some things that "could" be wrong and if thats the case, I would not buy that bike.. I wouldnt even negotiate a lower price.. If your a new rider then get this, why would you want to over pay for a peice of junk. It does sound like the dealer is not being honest about this. If it were me selling it and i had nothing to hide, your inbox would be flooded with more pictures at just about every angle... get your deposit back if you gave them one and move onto a different bike. Im sure there are some memebers here that are local that would help you source a better conditioned fz6... :thumbup:

I know how exciting it can be wanting to pick up a new bike, but don't let your excitement cloud your vision or your wallet.

I know FZ6's can be hard to come by in places, but looking at those pictures, I wouldn't spend that much on a bike that went down. In the long run it COULD be a lot more headache than it's worth.

Be patient and you will come across a better bike!

-Nick

The dealership name is Cycle World Superstore in Scarborough.

Check out GTAMOTORCYCLE.COM in the review section. There is a few review's on the place your planning on buying the bike from.
Here is one.
Cycle World Superstore Misery - Never again

I personally do not buy anything from that store; I use it as my personal dressing room to try on gear and differentiate size's then order it from some where else. There are a couple good staff member's, but the owner is a douche. My advice would be to stay away and buyer beware.

The dealership name is Cycle World Superstore in Scarborough.

Check out GTAMOTORCYCLE.COM in the review section. There is a few review's on the place your planning on buying the bike from.
Here is one.
Cycle World Superstore Misery - Never again

I personally do not buy anything from that store; I use it as my personal dressing room to try on gear and differentiate size's then order it from some where else. There are a couple good staff member's, but the owner is a douche. My advice would be to stay away and buyer beware.

I think this ^^^ answers the question. I would get my money back.

My inner fairings hug the tank tightly on both sides. My guess is that the mount for the bolt all the way on the back was bent, and they bent it back out wrong.

As far as the frame goes, as long it's still straight and there aren't any stress fractures evident, it should be okay. Mine went down the road at 45mph and I rode it home. I still ride it. Insurance paid for me to fix it up though. All told, it was around $1400USD to fix it up and the damage didn't look much worse than that.

Mine was an '08 when I bought it with barely 4k on the odometer, and I only paid $4200USD out the door.

i got a 2007 FZ6 w/ 158 miles for $3900, but i know bikes in CAN are way harder to come across...
also i bought from a private seller, that always helps keep the price down

Here's a little twist to the story: I've spoken to the dealer, and it appears that they will be able to accommodate my request to put the deposit towards another bike in their inventory.

Now, before you jump and tell me to run, please keep in mind that they are pretty much the only place where I could find a couple of FZ6 for sale. Also, travelling to the US to buy the bike is not viable for me---even if I was to find a friend with a trailer, I can't find time in my work schedule for dealing with an import.

That said, the dealer has a 2004 Yamaha FZ6 with 27,000 km (about 16k miles) on it, and it is much cheaper too. Unfortunately, I have only one very low quality picture of it, so I will have to wait until Saturday, when I can go there, examine my original choice, as well as examine the 2004 one and make a decision.

Question: 2004 Yamaha FZ6 with such mileage---is this a lot for a motorcycle, or not really?

Here's a little twist to the story: I've spoken to the dealer, and it appears that they will be able to accommodate my request to put the deposit towards another bike in their inventory.

Now, before you jump and tell me to run, please keep in mind that they are pretty much the only place where I could find a couple of FZ6 for sale. Also, travelling to the US to buy the bike is not viable for me---even if I was to find a friend with a trailer, I can't find time in my work schedule for dealing with an import.

That said, the dealer has a 2004 Yamaha FZ6 with 27,000 km (about 16k miles) on it, and it is much cheaper too. Unfortunately, I have only one very low quality picture of it, so I will have to wait until Saturday, when I can go there, examine my original choice, as well as examine the 2004 one and make a decision.

Question: 2004 Yamaha FZ6 with such mileage---is this a lot for a motorcycle, or not really?

If its been propery maintained,16k miles is not alot.. I wouldn't have a problem with that mileage.

There was a re-call for that TPS on that 04 bike, make sure its been done...

Looking at the two pictures, where the bike is seen from the back (reposting the pics here)---it seems that there is quite a bit of gap between the fairing and the gas tank on the right as opposed to the view from the left side. Is it an optical illusion? Or maybe it is supposed to be like that when the wheel is turned to the side? Or does it seem like a conclusive indication that the main fairing support is bent?

5.jpg

4.jpg

There is a small bracket (that bolts to the frame) on the lower rear faring on each side that can be "tweeked" to push out or pull in the fairing a little bit. Even with my new faring stay on my bike, it took a little tweeking to get everything dead on (I'm a perfectionist)...

You really need to sit on the bike, steering staight ahead and just look forward. You'll see the gauges/windshield, etc, crooked if the stay is damagaed.

BTW, I find it very odd they fix the bike after you decide the purchase it and what SPECIFICALLY are they going to fix?

I'd personally want to see the bike ready to go out the door before giving them a nickle... This way there's no quams on what was supposed to be repaired/replaced/serviced...

Good luck, take your time, you'll find something acceptable, don't buy a headache...

I bought a brand spanking new 2009 fz6 a year ago. I got it for 7k in quebec. Not as far as US and i'm sure they have one or two left. Moto illimite in terrebonne. Look for their web site and give them a call.

Back