First Bike, First Crash

Dead_Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Completely the other persons fault, still sort of embarrassing. So I am just crusing along, not so fast, 15 mph or so in a parking lot when some lady on her phone decides she is going to turn from one of the parking rows, not into my path, but into me. I guess being on the phone she was not paying attention and was sitting there for a little while, so the car behind her honks and she panics a little and of course jets it right into me. Sort of my fault (don't tell her, or her insurance company this) because I should have been watching her sitting there anticipating something crazy out of her like i do with most cars, instead I was just thinking about something else. Not good. So of course I yank the brake too hard but not really because I was pretty close to contact with her so front tire skid, instant on the ground. Wearing helmet and pants so no big injuries, cept for pride. Should have had frame sliders!!! Will be ordering some before I ride. Front fairing broken, inner panel fairing broken (rightside), right mirror snapped off. Mirror looks like it can be fixed, threaded posts came clean out, some jb weld should fix that. I ordered some new aftermarket mirrors with led turn signals already though, so I guess I will have two sets. Something else I noticed upon taking off my fairings, there are four plastic things on the headlight assy you screw metal screws into to hold the headlight to the stay. All but one broke off and were still sitting in the rubber grommet. I don't know if this came from the wreck or it came from someone putting too much torque screwing metal into plastic, because that will def cause breaks like this. Other places on the the bike with plastic screws I could see where the plastic screws were ate up, like someone had been twisting too hard, chewing them up a bit. Leads me to think maybe this was not from the crash, by from someone who does not realize you have to be gentle with plastic hardware. In any case, upon seeing the broken plastic parts still whole and intact, and being an ex aircraft mechanic, you already know the first thing going through my head. Epoxy time.

here are pics

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/hyperion45/PC042319.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/hyperion45/brokeninnerrightfairing.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/hyperion45/brokenupperfairing.jpg

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well let's just be thankful you didn't end up like your screen name! :eek:
Hope you get the bike back up & going soon!

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you are OK. Parking lots kind of scare me even in a car. I was backing out of a angled parking space when someone from the other side darted out and I crunched his rear fender. No one hurt and my truck was just fine, but the kids cracker box fender was pretty bad off.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks. Is it clear whose insurance is dealing with it?

I've taken to consider parking lots practice for how slow I can ride and still keep the bike from toppling over. So little time and room to maneuver when that stuff inevitably happens. Happens with cars all the time too, but it's a total non issue because you don't tip over when not moving. Hard to keep track of all the things going on so near you in a parking lot. Driving my cage, I've had two instances of backing out of my spot and hitting (once) or nearly hitting (the other time) another car also backing out of his spot. Parking lots suck period for a bike.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not your fault at all, even if you coulda/shoulda/woulda anticipated her stupid move. You had right of way, she violated it. It's clear cut to me. Am I the only one?

No, you are not the only one. I think what "ALIVE" rider was saying is that he wished he would have anticipated her idiocy!!
To the OP: I'm glad you are OK. Her insurance should cover any damage, and also new gear.
I agree, parking lots are the worst!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Parking lots are actually one of the more challenging areas to ride. Lots of good stuff going on so you really have to be alert. Plus, you have the majority of the people pulling out of their stalls backwards, so you have to expect the worse.

I will always ride through the lot reving my bike to a point that I am becoming anoying. I also find myself covering my horn often through the parking lots as well.

Now parking your bike in these lots, good luck.

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your ok. I avoid congested areas like parking lots as much as I can.

Kind of surprised at the amount of damage to the fairing. The sliders would probably have not saved it. Maybe a good op to go naked if your into the look.