Finally took out the Interceptor

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
After goofing around all afternoon, trying to fool hubby via sms into thinking I'd taken his CBF 1000 over the Salmo-Creston summit, with him egging me on, I finally found out he had the key with him.

But he didn't have the key to his Interceptor. :Sport:

So . . .

proof.jpg
Obviously I had to take myself to Tim Horton's for a maple-pecan danish (that's me in front of Tim's, which you can't see because I can't aim my phone worth beans). Because those danishes are yummy! And even if he probably didn't completely mean it, he said I could ride his bike. :D

The only bad thing about his is, he also said (assuming it would deter me, which it came close to doing) that if I ride his bike, he gets to ride mine. :eek:

The FZ6, by the way, is a much nicer ride.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have any other comparison from the vfr to the fz6? I've been looking to get something "different" and the sound of the vfr is so intoxicating to me that it alone sells it to me.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a fun ride. Nothing wrong with swapping bikes. I enjoy swapping bikes on rides to try out something different without a salesman trying to close a deal on me!:D Usually, it just makes me appreciate my own bike, as you have stated.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
After goofing around all afternoon, trying to fool hubby via sms into thinking I'd taken his CBF 1000 over the Salmo-Creston summit, with him egging me on, I finally found out he had the key with him.

Ohhh that's hilarious, I do this to my girlfriend all of the time. She doesn't ride, but I egg her on knowing something she doesn't know.:rolleyes:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my buddy's vfr, it is pretty comfy and not to hate on the vfr, but its slow compared to the fz, like Focus vs Mustang slow.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a fun ride. Nothing wrong with swapping bikes. I enjoy swapping bikes on rides to try out something different without a salesman trying to close a deal on me!:D Usually, it just makes me appreciate my own bike, as you have stated.

It was. Well, it was more the idea of it that was fun. My bike is actually more fun. Of course, if the VF had been adjusted for a person with smaller hands and feet, that would have changed things. I had to concentrate pretty hard on making sure I could reach the front brake lever.

Ohhh that's hilarious, I do this to my girlfriend all of the time. She doesn't ride, but I egg her on knowing something she doesn't know.:rolleyes:

:spank:

I rode my buddy's vfr, it is pretty comfy and not to hate on the vfr, but its slow compared to the fz, like Focus vs Mustang slow.

Exactly! The seat is like a cloud. Although the way I normally ride, I could feel the extra torque, but the VF went the same speed my bike goes.

Is that the Tim's just on the outskirts of chilliwack? Used to stop there on the way to Vancouver for my ambulance shifts.

Nope. Creston. That's right, I can ride up the east side of Kootenay Lake anytime I want to. :D

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have any other comparison from the vfr to the fz6? I've been looking to get something "different" and the sound of the vfr is so intoxicating to me that it alone sells it to me.

This particular VF is old. It's a 1982, I think. No fuel injection. A newer model (if there are newer ones) might be different.

It's about 200 pounds heavier than the FZ6. I didn't have any issues with that, and I don't expect it would be a problem unless one had to pick it up off the ground. Though even dh appreciates help to get it on the center stand sometimes.

It corners nicely. We have those nasty spray-on road patches, and avoiding them felt like . . . Jedi mind steering? It's as nimble as my bike is.

I felt like I had to lean a little too far forward (but I'm 5'4"). The handlebars are two separate pieces, so you could adjust them pretty much however you like. In fact, dh has the left one farther forward than the right one, on purpose.

The sound of the VF is freaking awesome. :D

As for power, torque, etc., I didn't ride it hard, but it didn't feel that different to me, just riding normally. The only comparison I have there is dh on the VF and me on my FZ6, and I'm just barely faster. But there's a huge weight difference between us and a huge age difference between the bikes, so it's kind of apples and oranges. With equally heavy riders, the bigger bike could out pull the smaller one, I'd bet.

The friction zone felt quite a lot wider on the VF than on the FZ6.

The shifting felt, I don't know, maybe kind of loose? Worn? I'm not sure. But it's all original parts, so maybe that's why it felt odd. I didn't notice anything like that in my '82 Nighthawk, even before we replaced the clutch disks.

The VF has a more comfortable seat.

Just like the FZ6, the VF can do highway speed in 2nd gear with no problem. (Hubby reports his CBF can do highway speed in 1st gear no problem. He's considering swapping a sprocket in that one so it's better on the lower end.)

And the red-white-and-blue paint scheme gets a lot of attention. If that's important to you.

Still, my bike feels like my bike. And it doesn't look like an ocean liner.