Finally did my first long ride and stay!

T4E

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the FZ6 in Oct. 2007. After a few delays I finally went out on my own and did a long distance ride with a couple nights stay.
While the trip is a short distance for most, this was my first trip where I packed up the saddlebags and rode off to a destination.
For those that have had the pleasure of riding in the southwest (100 degrees plus) you will appreciate it.
I won't bore you with the details here. You can check out my blog of the trip and pictures if you are interested.
Silver City Trip 2008

A special thanks to all the experienced riders on this forum. By lurking around for a few months, I've gained some valuable knowledge to take this trip and many more.

JeffrosFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey great write up on your trip.. and nice pictures! Ive been there before when i was 16 (forever ago) and would like to go back. I have yet to take a long trip on the bike (longest was 1 1/2 hrs), mostly short trips and to and from work.

One of these days when I get more than 1 day to relax im going to take a trip.

boogiecram

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a fun ride, I've cruised over to Thatcher on my fz one time for a football game, man that was boring and the bugs along there are horrid, at least in the fall. But I've always wanted to ride up 191 to springerville then over to showlow and back.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds great. I'm still stuck at about a 3hr max ride myself, would love to do a multi-day like you. You weren't as close to a running-out-of-gas-disaster as you thought. The blinking final fuel bar measures how far you've driven on the "reserve" part of the tank which is 0.95 gal. You probably had another 40 miles to go when you found the station. That caused me to freak out the first time it happened to me too.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent! Thanks for sharing. That was a very cool blog! I'm envious!

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write-up on the trip. I haven't ridden in the southwest for a long time. Gonna have to get back there one of these days.

Distance riding is a great way to relieve stress. I try to get a couple of week or longer trips in every year. In August I'll be spending 7 days in the Adirondacks and farther north into New England. Then in September, my son and I are riding our bikes to Georgia to meet up with my brother. The plan is to spend another week or so playing in the north Georgia mountains.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice man! Its good to see other people out taking long trips.

I have a feeling I am going to be heading to Alabama before too long on the bike. The FZ works well as a sport tour!

Congrats man, and nice write up, too.

-bryan

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, thanks for sharing and congrats on your first long ride. Did my first long ride a couple months ago... FL to TN and back for 1600 miles. Can you say, "sore butt"? :D

Let us know of any other trips you take! Thanks again! :thumbup: