Fault 12 after push starting

Neuromancer

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I was about to start the bike after winter. When I put in the keys turning them into on position, key symbol started to flash like crazy. I tried to start the bike, but I got Er-1. Motorcycle wasnt in use for 5 months, there was no sound from the fuel pump after turning the keys on and the lights were shining dimly so I assumed the battery is weak. I attempted to push start the bike from a hill - after a few attempts in second and third gear I finally tried the first gear and after this engine light turned on, display reading fault 12. In the first push start attempt engine did kick in for a second and along with it, the alarm went off. In the consequent attempts, alarm didnt go off.
Bike is second hand, previous owner installed the alarm. One of my guess is maybe the alarm immobilised the engine somehow?
I guess I should recharge the battery and then try to Error Code 12 - Sportbikes.net .

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!
Sometimes the ECU will push inaccurate error codes when the voltages are low. Usually the error code for fuel injection is error-1. The error code 12 is for failed crank shaft position sensor. Charge your battery and also check wiring at the right side of your motor as well as harnesses. Open your air cleaner and check it. Rodents also pick the FZ6 as a favorite spot for a winter home. They may have gnawed through a wire/s. Good hunting and please let us know how your doing.:)

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2 :mikebike:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be in for a battery refresh if it sat dead for months due to an alarm draining it.

FWIW: When the system shuts down due to instant loss of energy, the ECM fails to complete its diagnostic testing and the msg thrown to the display may be of little value but will almost always be an ER1. I would ignore the error until the battery & starter crank it with ambition as if it wants it to run! :thumbup:

Neuromancer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, motorcycle is running! After a couple hours of charging I turned off the alarm and started the bike like usual despite the display still reading fault 12. Everything went like a charm. So the pesky alarm was shutting down the engine everytime it fired up from the push starts.