Fast acceleration from a stop

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would really like to accelerate quickly from a stop. I usually have to get rolling a little then I can go nuts and give the bike hell. But I'm a chicken when it come to doing from a dead stop. I'm afraid of popping the clutch either stalling it or the bike doing a wheelie and me falling off.

Any suggestions? Practice tips?

Thanks.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Same here! While generally speaking I drive at average speeds I would not know how to start really fast from stand still position. Watching videos people crashing on YouTube is enough deterrent for me.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
My sentiments exactly.

Just slip the clutch slightly, you wont pop the clutch if you are used to riding the bike.

Just before the lights go green rev the engine to about 2-3000 rpm and when it goes green let the clutch out just enough for it to bike but not to offer full power, once up to enough speed let the clutch out slowly..you wont pop a wheelie if you do this.

Just take it smooth, and dont rush! You will leave cars behind!

Gopher

Potential Fireball
Reaction score
www.jamerspad.com
I'm still quite new to riding, and its sounds like you are too...

I'm finding that the 'muscle memory' thing veteran bikers talk about, is already kicking in, and I can quickly pop the clutch out until i hit the biting point. Plenty of revs, hit the bite point, hold for half a second (or less), then release all the way while increasing the revs to red line. You need to aim for a steady and progressing increase in power... roll the throttle on too fast and the bike will try and throw you off for being disrespectfull, too little and it will tell you to sod off (stall).

Bearing in mind, this is on an 08' 600 Hornet, I go for about 3 to 4000 rpm before going to bite point at a standing stop (Btw, the gearbox has been modded and has a larger first cog...).... the fazer/fz6 has much higher revs, so add a few on to this figure.... I think the key is, be gentle until you get to know ur bike better. Everything else comes with experience.

Last edited:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on upping the revs and slipping the clutch. Of course holding on and slipping the clutch I reckon is the trick. Try the two 'victory' fingers for clutch operation and hang on with the rest. This will also make it easier to handle should the front wheel lift.
Best go out on an empty bit of road or empty car park and practice if you're concerned. Once you get used to slipping the clutch and hitting the right revs it's a breeze. If you do pop the front wheel, don't panic. You can always back off if you need to. Of course I'm no expert drag racer...lol.
Cheers
Mike

Gopher

Potential Fireball
Reaction score
www.jamerspad.com
Try the two 'victory' fingers for clutch operation and hang on with the rest. This will also make it easier to handle should the front wheel lift.
Mike

+1 on that... I personally use a different trick, I hold the bar with my index finger (thats the one next to the thumb lol and it never-ever leaves the grip) and I clutch with the other three. This way, ive always got at least one of my strongest fingers holding on. Your 'ring' and 'pinky' fingers arent as strong...which is why i stopped using the 'victory grip' suggested by Mike...

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on that... I personally use a different trick, I hold the bar with my index finger (thats the one next to the thumb lol and it never-ever leaves the grip) and I clutch with the other three. This way, ive always got at least one of my strongest fingers holding on. Your 'ring' and 'pinky' fingers arent as strong...which is why i stopped using the 'victory grip' suggested by Mike...

LoL. That's what I do with my throttle hand:thumbup:. I do it the other way on the clutch side 'cause I crush my fat finger everytime I clutch:rof:...lol.
Cheers
Mike

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a newbie with no previous bike experience and I like to be out in front also. What I did was practice a LITTLE at a time. Each time I stop and want to excel faster than the cars to be by myself I just practice each time reeving the engine and releasing the clutch at each stop. I have now gotten pretty good at it. I know its not like a more experienced rider, but I am happy with my results so far.:thumbup:

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
When I lane split at stoplights, I pay attention to when the light is gonna turn green. I rev it up to about 6-7k rpm. Then I "play" with the clutch a bit, to soo that way your not popping it, or letting go to slow. Takes only a few times to get used to it. Then after your clutch is fully let out, your already in the sweet powerband, before you know it, better shift. I like to shift at 12k b/c itll wheelie real nice going into second.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't tried on the FZ due to my current traffic probation, 19 more days to go...however from my race days...I may not have been the fastest guy but I could get the holeshot every time.

The key is to keep the revs just over when the power band hits, ie: 7,500 to 8,000 rpm. During a fast launch the key is to keep the revs at 7,500 the WHOLE time by using the clutch. What you are doing is dialing in more throttle twist as you let out the clutch. Once all the clutch is out then you have the throttle totally pinned. Does that make sence? With your body you want to lean forward over the front of the bike to keep the front end down. If you do it just right your front wheel will just skim the ground about 1 to 2 inches in the air. Any more than that and you are letting the clutch out too fast. Wheelie = loss of speed.

Once you hit it, it is so fun! Just don't loop out!

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I haven't tried on the FZ due to my current traffic probation, 19 more days to go...however from my race days...I may not have been the fastest guy but I could get the holeshot every time.

The key is to keep the revs just over when the power band hits, ie: 7,500 to 8,000 rpm. During a fast launch the key is to keep the revs at 7,500 the WHOLE time by using the clutch. What you are doing is dialing in more throttle twist as you let out the clutch. Once all the clutch is out then you have the throttle totally pinned. Does that make sence? With your body you want to lean forward over the front of the bike to keep the front end down. If you do it just right your front wheel will just skim the ground about 1 to 2 inches in the air. Any more than that and you are letting the clutch out too fast. Wheelie = loss of speed.

Once you hit it, it is so fun! Just don't loop out!

I totally agree I usually try to keep mine around 8k rpm when I want to launch and leave everyone behind. I took a honda cbr600rr about 2 weeks ago doing that it was awesome. Just remember as your sliping the clutch if you want to add a little more to it as you let the clutch out give it more throttle it will be one hell of a ride.

Rocky529

Reaction score
Visit site
Practice is all that can help you... knowing the exact catch point of your clutch is pretty important. If you're not careful, you can do a wheelie by accident.. so practice safely.

Gopher

Potential Fireball
Reaction score
www.jamerspad.com
LoL. That's what I do with my throttle hand:thumbup:. I do it the other way on the clutch side 'cause I crush my fat finger everytime I clutch:rof:...lol.
Cheers
Mike

PMSL!!!!!

You're not gonna believe this... but I do exactly the opposite to you!!! Index and middle fingers on the brake lever!!!

hugger10

Reaction score
Visit site
Shortly after I broke my bike in I went out one night on a back road (this is Alabama, no cars for miles on these roads at night). It didn't take long to develope a simple, noob friendly tecnique. I decided that the easiest way to learn how to launch effectively is to keep the throttle pinned once you start. Step one: Right before the following steps, lurch foward as you take your feet off the ground, time your launch right as you come down on the front suspension.
Step two: Open the throttle wide open and catch the clutch between 4 and 5 k. For me, if I open the throttle right as I begin to come down on the bike then it will be at rpm when I make impact.
Step three: if the tires are warmed up and you nail the first two steps then will have spun the rear tire for about 3 feet and the front wheel should be on the ground. Once past 20mpg I usually have the clutch fully disengaged.

OK, now this won't work for everyone. Everyone has their own style of handling a motorcycle, not to mention if you wiegh more than 20 lbs less than I do (185) then you'll probably be thrown off.;)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just get those rev's up nto the area of maximum torque & HP.....7000rpm and up, get right over the tank to keep the front wheel down , let the clutch out...feathering it as you take off to keep the bike in that maximum rev range, change up before you hit 12000rpm...you will know when your there, as the bike will hit run out of power right on 12000rpm, and just stop accelerating!

If it gets scary, just roll off the throttle, pull the clutch in, slow down, and try again.

:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike really dislikes a prolonged period of clutch slip. It squeals like the proverbial pig:spank:.
I put my weight forward, have my left foot ready to shift up to second. Rev the engine up to 7000 - 8000 rpm. Gently feather the throttle until I am rolling and then let it out fully. Once the revs reach the red-line I knock it up into second.
It never ceases to amaze me how quick it is [the bike] off the line:eek:
The ultimate goal is to get the clutch out as quickly as possible whilst increasing the revs.

Good luck fellas

Nelly

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike really dislikes a prolonged period of clutch slip. It squeals like the proverbial pig:spank:.

Oi...., it's laughing not squealing!!

I must be Mr Conservative from all these comments, I like to just pootle away from the line and only open it up if there is a car next to me which needs a lesson.

I can honestly say that I have been riding the bike for 18 months and I don't think I have opened the throttle fully to the end stop, in fact probably not even that close to it.

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Use the "friction zone" with your clutch. It is how drag racers do it. when you are sitting there start reving slowly let out the clutch until you feel the bike start to move. once it starts to move you can actually pop it the rest of the way and the bike will just lurch forward.

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers
Mike

Yeaa, I did the same thing for a few days when I first got the bike! heh. Then I adjusted the clutch cable so I don't have to pull it in as far... problem solved. So I always have my index and thumb on the left grip no matter what. As for the throttle side I brake with my index and middle fingers only.