Fan supposed to come on so quick? (2012 model)

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings Yam pilots. I have an '04 and like how cool it seems to run, but my cousin just got a new '12 model, and it seems that fan just comes on too quick, barely warm if at all after just a few minutes ride. Temp guage goes to around 230 sometimes. Seems too hot, no? Plenty of coolant, no obvious pressure leaks etc. One Possible clue: the bike was gently dropped at a couple stops. Hmmm, any opinions. Btw, LOVE this site, love the fz6. Mine's an older one, but these bikes are like F1 the way they sound and look. Thx!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On my '08 the fan comes on at 212º like clockwork. Just make sure you check for pebbles in the fan now and again which will prevent the fan from getting stuck and burning out. It was an issue for Cali rider and myself when riding on some newly "fixed" pot hole patches which threw asphalt into our fans and had to be picked out before the fan had a chance to come on.... :eek:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
This isn't normal. He should check for dented or kinked hoses and make sure the water pump is working. Maybe flush the cooling system it may have something plugged somewhere.

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you're right. Bit of a space-out on my part, it has so many parts in common, and is 600cc, but is maybe like a 600rr, or something like that. Guess that means the motor aint like an r6 like ours. Thanks

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6R - Thermostat??

At 45mph > higher sustained road speeds, what are the temps? If they don't drop I would be very concerned!

If it runs good, not lean and sluggish then not likely a fuel issue, however a lack of fuel will make it run lean and raise the temps FAST!

Is it a brand new engine, like less than 500 miles? it may be a bit warm for a while. Make certain the OIL is checked using the proper method (SEE MANUAL) and thats its NOT OVER-FULL or LOW!

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it's so new we're at 40 miles. Will check that oil like you said and see what happens too on a longer stretch with the temp. But yeah the fan just kicks in after just a few minutes and we took a 20 minute sleepy cruise with just 2 stop signs all the way and that fan was workin overtime. 230 degrees. Gonna check. Thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it's so new we're at 40 miles. Will check that oil like you said and see what happens too on a longer stretch with the temp. But yeah the fan just kicks in after just a few minutes and we took a 20 minute sleepy cruise with just 2 stop signs all the way and that fan was workin overtime. 230 degrees. Gonna check. Thanks

I don;t think I've welcomed you so :welcome:!!!!

The thermostat might be stuck or there may be an obstruction. Take it back to the dealer.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: Have you checked the radiator fluid level?
When its COLD (squeeze the radiator hose, it should collapse easily), just because the reservoir is full does not mean the engines coolant is full. If the hose does not squeeze easily, that usually means the system still has pressure in it and CAN SPRAY FLUID from the radiator cap when its removed. Please confirm the fluid level is full in the Radiator. It should be visible at the open of the neck.

Tell tale signs its REALLY 230F; I mean it could be the sensor is not working right and is Telling the gauge (230F) and the fan to run. With caution, touch the engine. How long can you rest your hand there on the head, block, radiator side tank? Of course if you have meter IR type or some other thermocouple device you could use that too. But if compared to boiling water in a cup a lightly calist hand can take heat for a few seconds. Candle wax melting time is easy thing to do too (compare to boiling water in microwave). If its really that hot that fast, something is wrong. Take it bake to the dealer and have it inspected. Read the entire manual about warnings, heating cooling etc. Also don't place a new engine in too high of a gear, its better to REV it to 6K than lug it at 1500RPM in 4th gear. <DON'T DO THAT!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the cooler temps now arriving south, on a 75 degree day, my engines running about 165-170 degrees while under way(above 30 MPH)..Might go to 200 at a fairly long red light. Cools back down on its own within a mile or so.

+1 on the above, somethings very wrong...

Please post what they find/fix...