Fan stays on

cheezeberger07

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys i have a question about the fan on my FZ6. whenever i shut my bike off with the kill switch and the engine temperature is around 215 degrees, my fan stays on after i hit the kill switch. im just wondering if i should leave the ignition on and let the fan cool down the engine, or can i just turn the bike completely off and let the engine cool down without the fan.

thank you

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, I have never had a problem with temps after I shut the bike off. I never shut it down using the kill switch so the bike always cools down without the fan. You would probably be OK just killing it and turning the ignition off.

On a side note I shy away from using the kill switch in case I forget to turn off the ignition thus draining the battery and not being able to start it the next time. I prefer just starting and stopping using the key and I'll never leave the battery draining.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys i have a question about the fan on my FZ6. whenever i shut my bike off with the kill switch and the engine temperature is around 215 degrees, my fan stays on after i hit the kill switch. im just wondering if i should leave the ignition on and let the fan cool down the engine, or can i just turn the bike completely off and let the engine cool down without the fan.

thank you

When you kill your ignition and the fan remains on, it's not actually cooling the engine because the radiator fluid only pumps through to cool the engine when the engine is on. Once you hit the kill switch, there is not more circulation of the radiator fluid, so essentially, the fan is just draining your battery without actually cooling the bike...

BTW, I love cheeseburgers.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you kill your ignition and the fan remains on, it's not actually cooling the engine because the radiator fluid only pumps through to cool the engine when the engine is on. Once you hit the kill switch, there is not more circulation of the radiator fluid, so essentially, the fan is just draining your battery without actually cooling the bike...

BTW, I love cheeseburgers.
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. And actually, cooling down from ambient air only will result in slower cooling, which causes less stress on metal components.

BTW, I love cheeseburgers too, but I'm on a grilled-cheese sandwich kick now, after seeing this: Grilled cheese and…grape jelly? – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs YUM!

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site

thank you

you should shut your bike off with the keys! the kill switch is there for emergency

no need to let cool off. if it was needed yamaha would have taken care of it.

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, I have never had a problem with temps after I shut the bike off. I never shut it down using the kill switch so the bike always cools down without the fan. You would probably be OK just killing it and turning the ignition off.

On a side note I shy away from using the kill switch in case I forget to turn off the ignition thus draining the battery and not being able to start it the next time. I prefer just starting and stopping using the key and I'll never leave the battery draining.

Nothing worse than hearing, "Hey you left the lights on on your bike." :banghead:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
you should shut your bike off with the keys! the kill switch is there for emergency

My MSF instructor said always shut it down with kill switch to get in the habit of using it. That way if an emergency occurs you only reach for the switch, not the key.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My MSF instructor said always shut it down with kill switch to get in the habit of using it. That way if an emergency occurs you only reach for the switch, not the key.
I was taught the opposite - by my instructor AND the dealer.

You should always turn off with the key.

It also makes sure you NEVER walk away leaving your key in the ignition :D

cheezeberger07

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the feedback guys. in the MSF course they told me to use the kill switch also but i've also turned it off with the key sometimes. and +1 for grilled cheese!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site

Total agreement.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. And actually, cooling down from ambient air only will result in slower cooling, which causes less stress on metal components.

BTW, I love cheeseburgers too, but I'm on a grilled-cheese sandwich kick now, after seeing this: Grilled cheese and…grape jelly? – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs YUM!

Okay, so I have to ask: Have you tried a sausage biscuit with mustard and grape jelly? (Who doesn't put mustard on a sausage biscuit but my daughter got me started on the addition of grape jelly ; )

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree about the fan and I don't worry when mine wants to stay on. As for the kill switch--practice with it once in awhile as all things depended upon in a "situation" depend on muscle memory and you'll want to know you can hit it. But generally use the key so you're sure to turn off the ignition AND lock the handle bars, as well as take the key with you....