Fan problems

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed last summer (my first with this particular bike) that engine temp would get as high as 230F when in stop and go traffic. I seldom ride in those conditions, so I figured it was par for the course. Yesterday I flushed and filled my cooling system, and will waiting for the fan to kick in... it didn't. Finally the high temp dash light came on around 234F, and I turned the bike off. I've never seen the high temp light come on while riding, not even in traffic.

So my fan is not functioning. Bummer, but I'm glad I found out in a relatively controlled situation without causing any damage. I am sure there is a great thread here on fan troubleshooting, I'll link it when I find it, unless someone beats me to it.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a recent discussion/update on a known problem with the fan and pebble ingestion.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The is a separate fuse for the fan-Check that first.

See if the fan blades actually spin freely

If so, apply 12 volts to the fan motor(un-plugged) and see if it functions.

It's rare electrical for the "fan system" to fail.

Most likely the fan motor however there is a sensor to activate it (when it gets too hot).. Might R&R that, clean and check per spec's. Part #20: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2006/fz-6-fzs6v/electrical-1

Last edited:

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So what is the best way to get at the fan? It looks like either the battery and airbox (and possibly more) have to come off, or the radiator. Neither option is appealing. I don't think I have the fabled long allen key to get the airbox off. I just changed the coolant this spring and don't have enough left over to refill. Either option is going to require a shopping trip.

Tempted to keep riding without the fan. It is fine as long as I stay out in the country.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you repair the wires from below the rubber mat? If that is the case, the radiator comes off really easily. Drain the coolant into a clean container an reuse it.

Not a good idea to run without the fan. Overheating an aluminum head will turn out to be a lot more costly than a gallon of coolant and a couple of long hex keys.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fan wires came loose from the clip and rubbed against the ring around the fan blades long enough to saw through both wires. So add that to the list of reasons fans fail.

I'd un-bolt the radiator, then the fan, set it atop something (small stool) just to get access to the frayed wire. Either soldier in a new piece of wire or Posi-Tap a new section in there. Easy pezzy.

The connector is under the battery tray but you don't really need the fan completely disconnected, on a bench to repair one wire...

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you repair the wires from below the rubber mat? If that is the case, the radiator comes off really easily. Drain the coolant into a clean container an reuse it.

Not a good idea to run without the fan. Overheating an aluminum head will turn out to be a lot more costly than a gallon of coolant and a couple of long hex keys.
Yep, can do from below the mat. Radiator it is.

I don't care about the cost of the repair, just don't feel like doing it :rolleyes: I have avoided riding in the city. As long as I'm moving it stays cool. Hot weather is coming though and I'll feel much better not having to keep such a close watch on the temp gauge.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also check the fan fuse to make sure nothing shorted and popped the fuse.....

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fan is fixed! I put in some quick connects in case I need to drop the radiator again and don't want to have the fan dangling there. Now I can ride without worrying about going too slow or hitting red lights.

My bike is running perfectly. I don't need any more maintenance, mods, or repairs this season. Nothing to do but ride, as long as I can avoid the urge to upgrade something.

I have a 1974 Yamaha DT360 that I will use to satiate my need to wrench on things.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good, go enjoy the FZ6. The DT360 is a nice bike. Is yours complete?

Mostly. It was a barn find without a title. I can't register it, so it is dirt only and I have sold the instrument cluster and lighting to someone who was doing a complete restoration. Mine only had 3500 miles on it when parked in 1979 with a dead stator, so it is in great shape. I've replaced the ignition with a modern 12v unit, and put in a new piston, rings, etc. I tore it down to the frame and attacked the rust and grime, but didn't do a full-on restoration, so it still has the original character. I haven't ridden it yet. Still a few things left to finish up, but it's all present and accounted for.

teach5953

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently had the "small stone in fan" problem. After getting the stone out and replacing the fuse that was blown, it worked fine for a ride. This last time out I noticed my bike (2009) getting hot and the fan wasn't turning on again. Got home, it spins freely and the fuse is good. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently had the "small stone in fan" problem. After getting the stone out and replacing the fuse that was blown, it worked fine for a ride. This last time out I noticed my bike (2009) getting hot and the fan wasn't turning on again. Got home, it spins freely and the fuse is good. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

The fan itself may have burned windings and is damaged due to overheating when the fan was jammed. You could attach a voltmeter or 12vdc test light to the fan circuit to see if the fan circuit is coming on when the bike gets hot enough for the fan to come on. The blue wire going to the fan should be 12 + VDC when the circuit calls for the fan.

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OR, ^^^, apply 12 volts to the fan motor wires themselves(un-plugged from harness) and see if the fan cranks up..

^^^ Standard troubleshooting. There is logic that the bike uses to decide when to put 12v to the fan. Power up the fan and you will have broken the problem in two. Fan spins, it's the sensors and logic. Fan stays still, replace the fan.

teach5953

Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ Standard troubleshooting. There is logic that the bike uses to decide when to put 12v to the fan. Power up the fan and you will have broken the problem in two. Fan spins, it's the sensors and logic. Fan stays still, replace the fan.
I appreciate the insight and apologize I didn't see your reply sooner. I found a few threads where others were discussing this problem. It seems the 20a fuse is not well received by this community lol allowing the fan to burn up before the fuse blows. Gonna give this a try now that I'm back home and have some free time

teach5953

Reaction score
Visit site
Had to replace the fan :/ I'm thinking, like many have stated in this forum, of swapping the fuse with a lesser one. What are the chances a rock would get lodged in their again, but if so I'd rather replace a fuse than burn up the fan and replace that again.