HELP!! 04 FZ6 Error Code 53 and High Temp Gauge Flashing

Irish_Sean

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks, just did a regular service on my Fazer, changed plugs, oil filter, air filter and flushed coolant etc.. Everything I used is it what I have always used and as recommended in the owners manual. After the service the bike was driving lovely and sounded beautiful so I parked her up as usual and went to bed. Next day went to start the bike and she wouldn't start up. I noticed an error code 53 on the dash and the immobilizer light flashes 5 long and 3 short, also the temp bar is flashing max temp. I checked for leaks etc and could not notice anything out of the norm. Any advice would be awesome!!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My FSM doesn't give trouble shooting instructions for Error Code 53...it doesn't even mention it.

I'm guessing here, but I wondering if the cooling system wasn't properly bleed. That could cause air to be trapped in the cooling system. There is a coolant sensor on the intake and if it is air locked, it may be preventing the bike from starting (because the ECU thinks that there isn't any coolant in the system). Open the cap to the radiator and see if coolant overflows. this may indicate trapped air in the system. If it's much lower than expected, that would indicate that there was a air bubble.

Irish_Sean

Reaction score
Visit site
My FSM doesn't give trouble shooting instructions for Error Code 53...it doesn't even mention it.

I'm guessing here, but I wondering if the cooling system wasn't properly bleed. That could cause air to be trapped in the cooling system. There is a coolant sensor on the intake and if it is air locked, it may be preventing the bike from starting (because the ECU thinks that there isn't any coolant in the system). Open the cap to the radiator and see if coolant overflows. this may indicate trapped air in the system. If it's much lower than expected, that would indicate that there was a air bubble.
Cheers for the reply Gary, Yeah I definitely bled the cooling system fully. Im thinking it may be a wiring issue with my immobilizer as the immobilizer light is flashing 5 long and 3 shorter flashes then. Going to have to wait until the weekend to take her apart and have a look.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Sean!
In addition to Gary's suggestions, check the for any obvious electrical connections faults starting at the battery terminals. You should also see 12.5-12.8 resting voltage at the battery terminals. Low voltage can cause a number of false codes to get pushed by the ECU. Check that you haven't inadvertently removed a chassis ground at the frame or engine.

Unfortunately I haven't had much experience with immobilizer problems but I imagine a low voltage problem would also cause a immobilizer problem with the transponder to key handshake.

Irish_Sean

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers for the suggestion dude!! Yeah i'll be taking her apart this weekend so if I find the solution to my problem I shall let ya'll know.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an international FSM, and Fault Code 53, listed on page 8-68 says:
Immobilizer Unit, codes transmitted between the ECU and immobilizer unit do not match.

Cause is listed as 'Noise interference or disconnected cable.

Actions are listed as:
1 - Register the code reregistering the key
2 - Check the wiring harness and connector
3 - Replace the main switch / immobilizer unit
4 - Replace the ECU

Clearly you start checking connections....

Irish_Sean

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an international FSM, and Fault Code 53, listed on page 8-68 says:
Immobilizer Unit, codes transmitted between the ECU and immobilizer unit do not match.

Cause is listed as 'Noise interference or disconnected cable.

Actions are listed as:
1 - Register the code reregistering the key
2 - Check the wiring harness and connector
3 - Replace the main switch / immobilizer unit
4 - Replace the ECU

Clearly you start checking connections....
Hey Trepetti cheers for the reply, I'll troubleshoot it that way, I hope I don't have to replace immobilizer unit or ECU. I'll update the thread the weekend when I take her apart.

Irish_Sean

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I found the fault this morning and turns out to be a broken pin on the ECU, pin number 5, wire is yellow/blue and is related to immobilizer.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes that wire goes from the ECU to the instrument cluster and immobilizer. It is the Data line that supplier digitized information to the cluster and the immobilizer. The immobilizer thinks the ECU is not there.