Fairly new female FZ6 rider

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Working for a dealer, can you talk them into some discounted group buys for accessories to post here? Lots of people are interested in the comfort seat, lower cowl, full fairing, etc... might be some opportunity for the boss to move some parts!

+1 on that idea, I'm very interested in the seat cowling.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I purchased my 07 FZ6 about a month ago from the dealer I work for. I'm a powersports salesperson, and they highly suggested I trade in my little 250 Ninja for a Yamaha, to ride what I sell. A FZ6 was my first and only choice for me, and the price I got was incredible. It was a little sad to part with my Ninja, but one quick ride on my sexy FZ was all it took to forget the KAW.
Since I am new to this forum (used to the set up of the Ninja site), I'm having a bit of a problem searching for FAQ's, and how to get an answer to my issue.
The only problem with my FZ is that my right leg gets incredibly hot and burnt, while riding. I'm 5'8", long legs, and my right knee hits a spot that gets really uncomfortably hot. After a 100 mile ride yesterday, my leg was bright red and sore.
Anybody else have this problem, and what to do?? Do they make a shield of some sort?

Thank you, Monica

Welcome, Monica... I must say I have a bit of job envy(and height envy) ;) But glad you picked the FZ6 you will love it. If you haven't purchased riding boots, I just purchased a pair of the TCX Sunrays and they are awesome. Rode for about an hour then walked around in the seething heat in them for about 5 hours, then rode home another hour, we did stop for ice cream so that was nice, anyway... my point is, my feet were comfy the whole time.. a little warm but it was a 95 degree day...I also love the textile gloves as they have mesh in between the fingers so air can get in.. If you do get too hot do try moving back a bit from the tank and frame (I tend to grip those with my thighs too) and it cools me off once the air can get my legs. Sometimes I stand up and wiggle my butt too.. that is for my hubby mostly. hehe

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome aboard!

+1 on wearing pants... even jeans will help to keep the direct heat off of your inner thigh. I will not go out without at LEAST jeans or canvas cargo pants because shorts offer no protection at all from road, heat or even... *gulp* big nasty bugs!

haha

I you keep you legs off the tank you should be fine, but these naked bikes can be warmish on the thighs.

T

twisted_charmer

Hi,
I was wearing my leather chaps when it was a little cooler out, but now I just wear jeans (and a shirt and jacket of course....no bikini riding, sorry guys). I have never rode with just shorts on even though it is really tempting sometimes. I do wear mesh gloves also. I do not use the bike as a "thigh master", ha ha...be nice if I could exercise and ride at the same time. My leg just tends to rest on a hot spot. I have tried riding with it out a bit, but that tends to get kinda tiring. I'm thinking of getting some sort of knee wrap or something I can put on the outside of that pant leg to act as a buffer. I asked around at work, too, and nobody believed my leg got that hot, but when I showed them the pic, they were like, holy sh*t!!
I paid $5900 OTD for my 07. I think it was a great price....was it? Since I work there, I never did any comparison shopping.

W

wrightme43

Very good price. You may just be just the right height for it to be a problem for you. Mine gets hot, but it doesnt bother me.

T

twisted_charmer

I can talk to the parts manager and see what he can do about selling accessories on here. Or if I can get you guys some kinda deal.

T

twisted_charmer

I'm still trying to figure out this site...so different from the ninja one. Normally, you reply to a post, and it will be right after the one you wanted to respond to. What am I doing wrong, why does it go at the end? Do I need to do the "thanks" reply?
It's going to take allot more than that to scare me away. I work at a dealership remember? I gotta deal with it ALL day long.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! it is an excellent price and a great bike. I am not sure why your bike gets very hot - I am the same height, but being a male, probably have shorter legs.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
my right knee hits a spot that gets really uncomfortably hot.

i dont get it , the only part the knees touch is the gas tank...the rest of the leg doesnt touch anywhere...there is no way that the gas tank becomes hot enough to burn your knee...you are not new to the bikes so i really dont know what you could be doing wrong at this point.. :(

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
I know PRECISELY what your talking about!! Being up here in the permafrost ( just joking, canada) it's not as bad for me as you describe but being a rather tall person myself when i'm in what i would consider a "normal" seating position my legs and touch or be very near the frame and the frame does get warmed nicely by the air comming off the rad. Sorry i dont really have a solution for ya but your not crasy :thumbup: unless of course i'm crasy as well, my friends do say i'm unstable at times . . . . ...

goodluck and have fun!!

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the site! :cheer: Great to see another gal out there! Can't say I've ever had the heat problem, which is interesting because I'm the same height (5'8"). In fact, I'm normally using the engine heat to warm up my hands when I'm stopped at a light - lol

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I purchased my 07 FZ6 about a month ago from the dealer I work for. I'm a powersports salesperson, and they highly suggested I trade in my little 250 Ninja for a Yamaha, to ride what I sell. A FZ6 was my first and only choice for me, and the price I got was incredible. It was a little sad to part with my Ninja, but one quick ride on my sexy FZ was all it took to forget the KAW.
Since I am new to this forum (used to the set up of the Ninja site), I'm having a bit of a problem searching for FAQ's, and how to get an answer to my issue.
The only problem with my FZ is that my right leg gets incredibly hot and burnt, while riding. I'm 5'8", long legs, and my right knee hits a spot that gets really uncomfortably hot. After a 100 mile ride yesterday, my leg was bright red and sore.
Anybody else have this problem, and what to do?? Do they make a shield of some sort?

Thank you, Monica

Welcome! Glad to see you joined the family.:D

klh

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Thank you, Monica

Hi Monica:

I purchased my new FZ6 last week and signed up for the forum just to find this issue. I went for a 100 mile ride yesterday as well and my right knee has a red burn on it.

I did some test positioning on the bike this am and I think I see the issue. I need to sit as far back on the seat as possible to make sure my knee is not touching the metal, which is unfortunate as I like the front part of the seat position. I'm 5' 10" with 31" inseam so I can comfortably sit back and I'll get used to it but I'm looking for other solutions. I'm thinking of getting some type of insulation for over the metal, or maybe even getting some Icon kevlar jeans with padded knees (had been looking at those anyway).

And I too started with a Ninja 250 but I can't bring myself to sell it! It's so much fun to ride, so much smaller than the FZ6.

Let me know what you ended up doing. I'm thinking it will be nice in the winter at least.

--Ken--

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Monica,

You will find this site very helpful as I did. Once you work on it a little you will be able to find tons of info.

Oh and by the way.....

:needpics: