Fair price for a used 2008 FZ6?

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
The time has come where selling my bike is the right thing to do for my family and marriage.

We just bought a camper trailer and between camping and my Bass tournaments, the FZ6 has been sitting around too much lately. I checked on KBB last night and found they're saying $3,300 trade-in and about $4,700 retail.

I have a local guy who wants it, but I'm wondering where to start for an asking price, and what a fair selling price would be.

Any thoughts?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It depends on the shape of the bike, how clean it is, maintainance, mileage, farkles (add on's) and YOUR market most importantly...

The Blue Book value, I've found, takes into account average miles per year, wear and tear, (sitting out in the sun, minor scratches. etc).

Trade in value is just that. The dealer is going to mark it up and make money off it so you will get beat up with that number..

If your bike is in average shape, get what your comfortable with in that range.

If its cherry, very well taken care of, I'd ask/try to get more however it may take longer to sell. Its a balanacing act, something you can live with...

*Some pic's posted would yield a more accurate opinion from members here...

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Im looking to sell my 2008 FZ. It has 12xxx miles, has never been dropped or stunted, and a LOT of custom work done to it. I am asking 5K and I think that is more than fair. Other members on here also stated that they believed I would be able to get that.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say my FZ6 is in very good to excellent condition. All paint is shiny without any scratches, nicks or dings. It's never been dropped or crashed.

I did hit a Turkey back in 2010, but all those parts were replaced at the Yamaha dealer and were covered by my insurance.

It's bone stock except for a tank pad. 12,500 miles on her now.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Last edited:

stephenmarklay

Reaction score
Visit site
The time has come where selling my bike is the right thing to do for my family and marriage.

We just bought a camper trailer and between camping and my Bass tournaments, the FZ6 has been sitting around too much lately. I checked on KBB last night and found they're saying $3,300 trade-in and about $4,700 retail.

I have a local guy who wants it, but I'm wondering where to start for an asking price, and what a fair selling price would be.

Any thoughts?

These numbers seem about right. I have been looking lately and the dealer has an 08 with 4500 miles for 4800. I am looking at an 07 with 2750 miles for 4500. There are two local with 12-14k miles for 3500 but one is an 06 and the other an 04.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
It depends on what the market is in your area. In my area, prices were high around the beginning of the season when I was looking to sell my old bike. A few people on national forums said my asking price seemed high. I listed it on craigslist and got my asking price (which was actually more than I paid for it 4 years/8k miles later).

Search craigslist/searchtempest for FZ6 near your zip code, see what others are going for, and you can price yours accordingly.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
Two Saturdays ago, I paid $4,400 (it took a lot of talks and then I just showed up with a check and told them to make it happen for me :)) for my 2008 with 1,400 miles on it but it will definitely vary on region. Depending on your time frame and how quickly you want to sell, I would say that $4,500 is a very fair price. For reference, the same dealership I bought mine from got another 2008 this past weekend (odd, they were even surprised) with 10,000 miles and have it listed for $4,900.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I think 4700 is a fair price if the miles are SUPER low.

I paid 4700$ for my 2008 with 740 miles on it. If the bike had 10k miles or more I wouldnt want to pay more than $3500 give or take a few hundred.

Banks and credit unions use N.A.D.A. Home Page over Kelly blue book....not sure why. But NADA seems to estimate the value of the bike and doesnt focus as much on retail value or private party value like KBB.

Id probably ask for about $4200 expecting them to talk me down a little. If its a close friend maybe just ask for the lowest price you would accept and not bother with the bartering game.

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree 12000 miles around $3500-$3800. Not really a lot of miles but, they sell for around $4000 with sub 5000 miles around hear in Virginia on CL

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What did he offer you if I may ask?

BTW, your bike is very, very clean.

IMHO, I wouldn't let it go for less than $3,800-4,000 at a minimum, $4,500 depending on your area and the economy as posted above seems very fair...

I've seen probably a dozen posts here from new owners, (low mileage, used bikes) running into problems only to find the fuel tank rusted bad, fuel pump lock up from crud, etc..

Low fuel levels, lots of sitting without additives (Low miles!!), (Maintainance), etc contribute to later problems...

My friend had a Kawsaki 500 twin (around a 2003 model or so) he got with less than 600 ORIGINAL miles on it.. It was stored under cover, (in humid Florida) little fuel in the tank, no fuel additive, needed a battery and the carbs were gummed up. Once we pulled the tank, of course it was rusted really, really bad (as some new members have posted their new to them bikes). We eventually got it running with some work and $.

So mileage, IMHO, doesn't mean NEARLY as much as how it well (or not) it was taken care of...

Last edited:

crazy302

Reaction score
Visit site
I paid 5300$ CAN for mine with only 2850 kms on it. I got lucky because the market value in my area is around 5500-6000$ for higher mileage FZ6

TopPud

-Matt-
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a 2008 FZ6 dark blue with 2700 miles on it in pretty good shape for $3,700. Here in WI it kbb's retail at $4820 and NADA is at $5320 retail.

kpedro

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2008 Raven FZ6 about 2 months ago in Michigan. It had 5000 miles on it but also came with a 2bros exhaust, K&N and PC3 already installed. No marks on it at all. He was asking $4700 and settled for $4200. Everyone I've talked to thinks it was a great deal but there were others in that price range with a similar amount of miles minus the aftermarket stuff. Maybe that info might help some.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
people like that bikes are stock when they buy used, especially on sportier bikes because its looks like there is a lesser chance that the bike has been abused or rung-out hard all of the time. because of that and the fact that the bike looks great, if it runs and sounds like it should you should be able to get 5000 for it.