Failed starter relay

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This post is just an FYI.

The starter relay that failed is off my 2006 Yamaha F150HP (about 2300cc's) OUTBOARD ENGINE that failed last spring(would NOT spin/CRANK over, just "click"). It was diagnosed and replaced shortly thereafter. (no issues afterwards)

Just for S&G's, I cut it apart this afternoon to peek..

It is a larger relay (about $80.00 worth), with a fairly large coil to activate it. The coil worked fine, it always "clicked", but it did NOT allow 12 volts to make to the starter.

Here's why;

You can see how bad the contacts / connections are on the left side. It is very well constructed/sealed but normal wear and tear took its toll..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a beefy lil contactor!

The coil that pulls the contacts together is easily an inch across, maybe a little more. It took me with an air powered rotary cut off wheel, probably 15 minutes to hack it apart (I didn't want to damage the contacts).

Its MUCH heavier than a standard relay, being in the marine enviroment and that engine require a group 27 battery(very, very large) to crank that 2,300cc, in line 4 cylinder, 4 stroke..

So that relay passes some current. Glad I found the crappy contacts, it just confirms it was bad (and I didn't drop $80 for nothing) and most importantly, the NON start issue is ACTUALLY FIXED.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The green hue on the copper makes it look like the salt air/water got to it at some point....
Fwiw; as they go up in current handling ability sometimes they employ a mechanism to rotate the contact disc. As you can see that one didn't rotate much if any. Had it rotated it might be alive? You notice who made it?
Expensive little bugger....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The green hue on the copper makes it look like the salt air/water got to it at some point....
Fwiw; as they go up in current handling ability sometimes they employ a mechanism to rotate the contact disc. As you can see that one didn't rotate much if any. Had it rotated it might be alive? You notice who made it?
Expensive little bugger....

Its a Genuine Yamaha part, no other names, initials, etc imprinted on it.

Bought it direct from my local Yamaha dealership (in a Yamaha parts box); part #4;
2006 and Later F150TXR Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL 2 Diagram and Parts

And yes, that center, contact piece can rotate and was NOT bound up at all (rides in the plastic housing((think its plastic)). There isn't anything that I could see to rotate it.

Similar to the old Ford, starter relays (that was mounted on the wheel well) that the contacts would crap up and fail...

It failed on 5-6 cranking attempts initially, just a click. I pulled the cowl/hood off to investgate. Of course, it fired up immediatly and worked fine the rest of the day making trouble shooting difficult.

I confirmed on another forum (Yamaha OB engine forum; Yamaha Outboard Forum - Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum ), that relay was likely the issue. It was replaced just for safety sake. BTW, its a low hour engine(under 200 hours) , but is a 2006 model, 8 years old.

Agreed about the greenish tint. It is obviously in the marine, brackish/salt water use, enviroment(Gulf of Mexico).

The under cowl is occassionally sprayed down with a product (forgot the name, LP9 maybe??) recommended by the dealership (oil based W/O damaging petroleum distialliates), so the powerhead looks brand new under the cowl. (As clean as my bike header!!)

Price out the sealed trim and tilt relay, part #9(its one large integrated unit), .. :(

Last edited: