failed my bike test

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, no, don't do that. You may have passed but the evaluator sensed your attitude and looked for that one mistake that sent you home without an endorsement.

Mine [almost] was kicking a cone on the high speed swerve course, but, being the cone was of improper size and me completing the rest of the test focused I passed.

We ALL make mistakes on each of our rides. Not all mistakes are crashes, injuries or fatalities but mistakes nevertheless. If you make one, learn from it and continue your ride focused. Keep a good attitude - you'll get it.

Not in the UK. Once you have committed a "Major" fault, you know you have failed. I still rode my test out after my major fault because I wanted to know if there were any other weak points in my riding.

Steve

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly, I wondered about your test being more difficult than ours. We are pretty lucky in that if we take and pass a cycle safety course, we don't have to do the driving test. The course was really worth it though!
It's very stressful being watched by an assessor who follows you and trying to keep an eye on the lunatics on the road trying to kill you.
I suppose the up side is that you pass with a good standard of road awareness and ability.
Nelly

wodger

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to agree. The observation instilled in you during training and expected during the UK test can only be a good thing.

My assessor was in a car (soon to be banned I believe) but the other assessor I could have got is apprantly a nightmare. He swings about all over the place behind you on a great big white BMW. Apparantly he likes to watch your "foot action" hence being right over to the left or right of the lane observing. He also keeps a good eye on your observation skills. The guy in the car kept having to ask me to pull over so he could catch up!!

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
When i took my test last year my examiner was being assessed by the chief examiner (no pressure there then) and they followed in a car. so i hadnot one but two pairs of eyes watching me but once out on the road i told myself to relax and treat it as a normal lesson.It must of worked i passed with only 3 miner marks.

Good luck with your test fella :thumbup:

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish we had a real test. I went around the DMV parking lot. When I got to the end of the second row of cars, I was to treat it as a "stop sign", stop and go around to the third set of cars. So, I weaved through 3 lanes of a parking lot, and had 9 total turns and one "stop sign". It took all of a minute, and I did not even have to take the bike out of first gear. The instructor stood at the front of the DMV and watched. I had more of a test just getting to the DMV for the test.

Good Luck Next Time!

aj_fz6

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
In Virginia we also get our license for passing the MSF course. As others have stated I felt qualified to drive around the parking lot after it was done. Everybody in my class passed, which surprised me because a couple of people had real trouble with the skills test. I logged over 100 miles in my neighborhood going 25-30 mph before I felt confident enough to get on a real road.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW..that is scarey. So the first time you go on a road for real is AFTER you pass a test in a car park.

Our children take a stiffer test than that on their cycles in Denmark.

Imagine what it would be like if they let people do tests in the car in a car park and then let them out on the road. That would be fun.

Steve

Last edited:

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the new riders.
New riders now that you have passed your test, remember You Don't Know Sh_t! All you have is a license to hurt yourself.
I say this with good will:
FIND YOURSELF A SEASONED MATURE RIDER THAT'S WILLING TO SHOW YOU THOSE "THINGS" YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW!
Of all my learning the hard way, I'd say the best thing I do is NOT ride "under any influence"! That 1/2 second reaction time makes a big difference.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the new riders.
New riders now that you have passed your test, remember You Don't Know Sh_t! All you have is a license to hurt yourself.
I say this with good will:
FIND YOURSELF A SEASONED MATURE RIDER THAT'S WILLING TO SHOW YOU THOSE \"THINGS\" YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW!
Of all my learning the hard way, I'd say the best thing I do is NOT ride \"under any influence\"! That 1/2 second reaction time makes a big difference.

Exactly what I did and still do whenever possible. About 5 of us go out on a weekend every now and then. Also, a couple of us commute into work together.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in British Columbia, the procedure to acquire a full (Class 6) motorcycle license is quite comprehensive.
Even if you've had a Class 5 (car) driving license for many years, you must still firstly apply for a motorcylce learner's license. This is obtained only after taking a Knowledge Test, which is a series of (IIRC) 40 multiple choice questions on a touch-screen computer. Once you pass, you can ride a bike but with restrictions: You can only ride in the company of another Class 6 license holder, no passengers, no riding at night, and a few others depending upon other factors.
The next step is the Skills test, which takes about 20 minutes. This is performed in a large parking lot and involves manoevers such as slow speed handling, stop/go drills and emergency stopping.
Once you pass the Skills Test, most restrictions are removed (except for taking passengers).
Next up is the Road Test; mine took about 1 hour and was very technical. I wore a boom mike and followed instructions given to me by the Tester following me in a vehicle.
I had 2 demerits:
-Slowing down unecessarily in a School Zone (it was summer, school was out)
-Briefly following too close to the vehicle in front going downhill
Once the Road Test is passed, that's it...you get your Class 6 and you're GTG.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in British Columbia, the procedure to acquire a full (Class 6) motorcycle license is quite comprehensive.
Even if you've had a Class 5 (car) driving license for many years, you must still firstly apply for a motorcylce learner's license. This is obtained only after taking a Knowledge Test, which is a series of (IIRC) 40 multiple choice questions on a touch-screen computer. Once you pass, you can ride a bike but with restrictions: You can only ride in the company of another Class 6 license holder, no passengers, no riding at night, and a few others depending upon other factors.
The next step is the Skills test, which takes about 20 minutes. This is performed in a large parking lot and involves manoevers such as slow speed handling, stop/go drills and emergency stopping.
Once you pass the Skills Test, most restrictions are removed (except for taking passengers).
Next up is the Road Test; mine took about 1 hour and was very technical. I wore a boom mike and followed instructions given to me by the Tester following me in a vehicle.
I had 2 demerits:

Hey, I reckon it's always good to slow down in a school zone:thumbup:, as over here at least, kids go to the school on holidays to use the cricket nets etc.

That seems like an odd thing to get a demerit for.:eek:

Besides. I don't have kids and wouldn't have a clue when school holidays start and finish....lol.
Cheers
Mike

swerve9031

Reaction score
Visit site
The most difficult thing is, having made a mistake, trying to put that behind you and get on with the ride... Good Luck with your next try, Tests are there for a reason whether we like them or not, and once you pass the test the real learning to ride begins!

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I had 2 demerits:

I didn't mention that we have a multiple choice test as well. It is 20 questions long, and if you pass it, you get your riders permit, which has alot of the same restrictions that you mentioned. We just do not have a riding test worth taking.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Failed my test twice. Each time was only due to me putting my foot down on the U-turn. developed a bit of a phobia about it so I practiced and practiced. Did a really crap one on my third test and my foot hovered but didn't go down, so I passed!

Experience and confidence take time to build up but can be lost in a second

s2vml

s2 vml
Reaction score
Visit site
hello everyone, just to let you know that i passed my bike test today. i am very pleased and happy. it was painful failing it first time but thats history now. thanks for all your support and advices. :Flash:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hello everyone, just to let you know that i passed my bike test today. i am very pleased and happy. it was painful failing it first time but thats history now. thanks for all your support and advices. :Flash:
Kudos,
Well done I am very pleased for you. Now go out and learn to ride.

Nelly

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on passing your test. As everyone else says now is the time to really start learning. Take it easy at first and you'll find that your confidence will slowly build. Have fun and ride safe :thumbup:

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
congrats! I remember my bike test, did a 3 day intensive thing, and i could barely ride a bike. I didnt figure out the u turns properly until the morning before the test.

im lucky in that i dont really get nervous for tests/exams. i also managed to get a good half mile gap between me and the examiner (in a car) for a good 5 mins, so that was good for the soul hehe. popped out a roundabout where he couldnt follow lol